How to Create Nested Folders in DP9?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
claude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to Create Nested Folders in DP9?

Post by claude »

Hi guys!

Using some down time to revamp my template. The overhaul is largely due to the new MAS version of Vienna Ensemble PRO that gives you up to a whopping 48X16(768) MIDI channels for each instance of VEP.

So between my MIDI/AUdio/Aux tracks it amounts to almost 600 tracks! I've neatly put everything in their own folder but now i wanted to take all the MIDI related folders and put them in 1 Master MIDI folder, and do the same with my Audio and Aux track folders.

I can't seem to find an easy way of selecting multiple track folders and swinging them into a higher level folder.

Anyone?

Did :rtfm: i even checked out Eli Krantzberg's tutorial about Track Folders on Groove3. Nothing...

TIA

Claude
Robert Randolph

Re: How to Create Nested Folders in DP9?

Post by Robert Randolph »

No way that I know of currently.

You can't even select folder tracks reliably.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Robert Randolph wrote: You can't even select folder tracks reliably.
... let alone the contents of track folders. Takes? Forget it. If you want to move them around in the timeline following other edits, it becomes almost impossible.

We used to have a preference to deal with that but, AFAIK, they took it away, for some strange reason, around DP7
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I've never had any issues selecting tracks or groups thereof in folders. I've always done this in the TO and haven't tried it elsewhere 'though.

OK, so I'm assuming SHIFT<->Page Up / Down can't be used for folders. Have you tried this?

I've forgotten what the shortcut is to create a folder from a track selection, but it'll no doubt be in the menus somewhere. Would this work if the selection were a group of folders? If so, even 'though you'd have to delete the original (intended) destination folder, groups of folders could be placed, in one "move", into newly-created ones. If this is possible, I'd copy / cut the name of the original destination and paste it to the newly-created one (the one created by the "place into new folder" action).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: It goes without saying that folders can be dragged into each other (for nesting) manually... individually, but I'll say it anyway as it's obviously a last resort for you and a viable option for those who've not hundreds of tracks to deal with.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
claude

Post by claude »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Monkey Man. No it doesn't seem that we can select a bunch of folders and use the "Make new folder from selection" feature.

Yes you can drag a folder into another folder but only if there is already something in the destination folder...

Track folders have been around for a long time in DP, i'm surprised that they didn't streamline the process a bit more for DP9

Best,

Claude
monkey man wrote:Would this work if the selection were a group of folders?

EDIT: It goes without saying that folders can be dragged into each other (for nesting) manually... individually
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Doh! Bummer, man.

My template has heaps of nested folders... in fact, everything's nested. I made it so long ago that I honestly can't remember how I did it 'though.

Maybe you could create "dummy" tracks (just name them "Monkey Man 01, MM 02... etc.), create master folders using them and then more-easily drag additional folders into them? The dummy tracks will give you something to aim at; they can me removed with the MonkeyBeGone™ plug-in thereafter.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

claude wrote:Yes you can drag a folder into another folder but only if there is already something in the destination folder...
I can drag Folder B into an empty destination Folder A, but only if Folder B is already a sub folder at the same hierarchy level it will be when it arrives in Folder A.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

claude wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

Monkey Man. No it doesn't seem that we can select a bunch of folders and use the "Make new folder from selection" feature.

Yes you can drag a folder into another folder but only if there is already something in the destination folder...

Track folders have been around for a long time in DP, i'm surprised that they didn't streamline the process a bit more for DP9

Best,

Claude
monkey man wrote:Would this work if the selection were a group of folders?

EDIT: It goes without saying that folders can be dragged into each other (for nesting) manually... individually
Yes, MOTU needs to take their excellent folders capability and improve upon it for sure! It reminds me of a new, cool word processing program that then stops development. Same with various features in DP such as MIDI. Once ahead of the curve, then....poof, no more development
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

You sure do know a lot about what MOTU "needs" to do.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

I've requested MOTU to make folders expandable by double clicking the gray bar, but so far not in dp9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6