DP8 & XT sending delayed MIDI data

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 & XT sending delayed MIDI data

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Hey all. I'm so glad you're not having my problem. I have MIDI express xt with dp8. When tapping a key on my controller I can see the instant response in dp8, but then it can take as long as 2 seconds for the MIDI data to play in my rack synth Roland xv5080. I've reinitialized every unit. If I plug the controller directly into the rack synth - no issues. Only going thru dp8. Anyone face this lagging problem? Also, and I hope this isn't a dumb question, is there a way to reinitialize dp8? Or does dp8 automatically do that at 'new song'? Just wondering if I've made any accidental settings to cause the error, I want to be certain they're not carried over to new song
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 & XT sending delayed MIDI data

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd look at your XT driver software… up to date?

I'm so glad I'm not having (actually, never did have) your problem, but hope you fix it soon. Good luck! :D

As far as initializing DP, there are multiple stock templates you can use for new projects, but most folks I know prefer to set up a custom template and always start projects from that. Saves a lot of time, especially if your setup is complex.
HARDDRlVER

Post by HARDDRlVER »

I suppose I should read my own post b4 I submit it. All updates/drivers have been applied to both the xt and clockworks. But thanks anyway for your speedy reply. I would politely ask that if anyone can help me with this issue who in fact does use the xt (usb) version, while working with DP8...if they wouldn't mind confirming that fact. I feel I'm only going to get up and running with someone who has, or had pretty much the same configuration as me. Again, thanks for your reply.
0cme

Post by 0cme »

I have the exact same problem with my Emu Xmidi 1x1 interface and DP8. I've tried updating the drivers, and I also tried the demo of DP9... doesn't help. If I delete the MOTU DP Preferences folder and restart DP, the problem goes away... briefly. It doesn't take long before notes start going out of sync again, until there's a 3+ second delay between playing a note and hearing it.

It's frustrating because everything else works fine... MIDI playback, playing a virtual instrument, and so on. But I don't think the problem is isolated to just your MIDI interface, since I'm getting it too.
wilcofan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wilcofan »

Hi, I have this problem too.

I play a note on my controller and all input looks good. (My MidiExpress has led's) Output is delaying by about 2 seconds to external MIDI ports.

I also have MIDI ports on my TC Konnekt, the output is also delayed on this unit.

3 year old issue on the forums here and DP9 demo exhibits the same problem.
Digital Performer 8.07
Mac Pro 3.1
Windows 7 (bootcamp)
xorcist

Post by xorcist »

Wow.... DP9, MOTU EXPRESS-XT interface. SAME FREAKEN PROBLEM HALPS!

Was working great. Then crapped out and 2 second delay.

Did anyone ever find out how to fix this?

It's like I was playing with trying to figure out how to map buttons on my Akai MPK249, I moved a knob, it set something in DP and BAM. Game over.

Is there some universal MIDI delay?

Oh and MIDI KEYS works fine.

*** UPDATE: There has to be some hidden global setting. Ableton works fine. Run DP, DELAY. What the heck?..