Variable tempo in compound time

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vladat
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Variable tempo in compound time

Post by vladat »

Hi all,

does anyone have a solution for drawing in tempo when the time signature has a dotted quarter as basis?

I was trying to draw in some ritardando ramps from dotted quarter=64 to, say, d.q.= 50. What happens is that each new tempo that's made and shows up in the Event window keeps the number, but it applies to a quarter with no dot. Which means the tempo slows down by a 3rd, if I'm not wrong.

Example - my tempo is fixed at d.quarter=64. I draw in a descending ramp. The first tempo value will be 63,9 but it's quarter(NO DOT)=63.9! A third slower! I would need to manualy go through each of the increments of the tempo change and change the beat value to dotted.

Any solutions please?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Variable tempo in compound time

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might try scaling tempo in the region menu item.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I do plenty of work with tempos like 6/8, 12/8, 9/8. This is a bit of an oversite in DP.

Here are a couple things you can try:

1. You can option drag tempo "T" events and make your shape kind of manually. (That's what I do). You'll probably want to adjust the grid in the Conductor graphic editor-- though you can change tempos whenever you want.

2. Perhaps if you switch over to the tempo slider mode and set the tempo to be dotted quarter based there, it will carry over (?) when you switch back to conductor mode. (post back and let us know if that works).

3. I wonder if you changed the default tempo in your default template if that would have any bearing. Probably not. I expect #2 is more likely.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
vladat

Post by vladat »

Hi,

thanks for the replies.
You confirmed that i really needed a workaround, I thought I may be missing an option DP has.

Scaling tempo could work, i used it sometimes on whole project or a large portion level, but for these purposes I somehow liked best to just draw it in.

So you gave me an idea to copy the starting tempo a bunch of times close to each other, and use the Reshape tool to draw in the curve I like. If there's more of those, I 'll just copy the whole thing and Reshape again.

Long live RR.
Trying with the Tempo slider didn't work.

Thanks, you guys rule!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

In the (SE window) conductor track's mini menu go to Insert>Tempo Beat Value. I think that's what you're looking for...unless I'm misreading your post.

Phil

[edit] Hmm. I can't seem to get Tempo Beat Value to work at all in DP9. It's working fine in DP 8.07. Just thought I'd mention that in case you're having problems.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
vladat

Post by vladat »

Hey Phil,

you got it right, that's it! Huge timesaver!
I'm having a german beer, everyone deserved one.

Cheers!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Great! Glad to help.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:Hmm. I can't seem to get Tempo Beat Value to work at all in DP9. It's working fine in DP 8.07. Just thought I'd mention that in case you're having problems.
I was curious and had a look. Initially, I could change the Tempo Beat Value in a few places, and the correct value would show up in the Tempo track and Event Information Window, but not in the Event List. Turns out the Event List and the Sequence Editor weren't showing the same sequence. Using the Chunks Window to clear that up, the Tempo Beat Value function appears to work fine here.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tamjam

Post by tamjam »

well this saved days of my life a couple of years after this original thread started... thanks Phil [ and vladat]. oh and thanks Motivation for being. :dance: :woohoo:

very grateful. couldn't find any clue to :dance: reference to this even searching the PDF manual.