Transferring DP projects from Mac to Windows

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
DCB
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Transferring DP projects from Mac to Windows

Post by DCB »

My 2007 Mac Pro recently died and I decided to replace it with a PC. I somewhat regret this decision now and wish I had paid the extra grand for a new Mac. But that's another story.

What I really wanted to ask is how to get all my DP projects created on the Mac to work properly on the new PC. All the audio and MIDI data, and the native DP plugins transfer perfectly, but the problem is with the third-party plugins. I do orchestral arrangements using Vienna Instruments, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Kontakt and G-Player. These all ran as AU plugins within DP on the Mac. I have installed the VST versions of all the plugins onto the PC (the latest VEPro update even has a MAS version!). Whenever I try to load one of my existing DP projects, the third-party plugs won't load (obviously because the AU versions aren't on the PC). I can easily create new instances of VST or MAS plugins, but I can't recreate the exact plugin presets that I had saved in the DP projects when I was working on the Mac. Unfortunately I did not have the foresight to save these presets (Kontakt multis, VEPro viframes, etc) separately. Is there any way of retrieving them from the DP project files, or will I have to rely entirely on my (very poor) memory to get back as close as possible to where I was before the Mac died?

Any help would be most appreciated.

I am using the latest update of DP8. The PC is running Windows 8.1.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 OSX.6.8
DP8, VEPro, Kontakt 5
MOTU Audio Express

PC i7 6-core Windows 8.1
DP8, VEPro, Kontakt 5
MOTU Audio Express
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Transferring DP projects from Mac to Windows

Post by bayswater »

If there's a simple way to do this, I'd like to hear it. I haven't done DP Mac to Windows, but I've done Cubase with VST to DP with AU, and had to resort to screenshots of the plugins.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
DCB
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Transferring DP projects from Mac to Windows

Post by DCB »

Apparently, given the absence of posts on this thread, there is no simple way.

So, here is the "solution" I found for myself. Fortunately, the hard drives in my old MacPro are still working. I got hold of an old MacBook Pro and connected the drives externally via firewire. Boot the MacBook with the MacPro drive and load the DP projects. Save the presets of the AU plugins and copy to a USB memory stick. Transfer the presets to the PC using the USB stick. Open the DP projects on the PC and create new VST instances of the plugins, then load the presets.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 OSX.6.8
DP8, VEPro, Kontakt 5
MOTU Audio Express

PC i7 6-core Windows 8.1
DP8, VEPro, Kontakt 5
MOTU Audio Express