Customizing Effects

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
adinboy
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Customizing Effects

Post by adinboy »

I am trying to understand how to get finer control of the plugin effects. So let's say I import a particular song into DP. I would like to do the following things to that soundbite:

1) Apply a low-shelf filter using Dynamic Equalizer from 0:00 to 0:30
2) Apply a high-shelf filter using Dynamic Equalizer from 0:30 to 1:30
3) Apply the Flanger filter from 1:30 to 2:30 but uniformly increase the depth from 40% to 100%
4) Apply the hi-top booster from 2:30 to the end but vary the booster levels from 0 to 10

Obviously, the above scenario is a hypothetical one but I am just trying to understand if there is a way in DP to have this fine level of control in applying filters to soundbites.

I suppose I could split the soundbite into those portions and then apply the filter to each split portion but it's hard to split exactly at 0:30 or wherever plus I'm sure there is an easier way.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Customizing Effects

Post by Phil O »

Read the section on automation. I'm not in my office right now (i.e., away from my manual) or else i'd give you a chapter number. Everything you want to do, and more, is possible.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
adinboy

Post by adinboy »

Phil O wrote:Read the section on automation. I'm not in my office right now (i.e., away from my manual) or else i'd give you a chapter number. Everything you want to do, and more, is possible.

Phil
I found the automation chapter and have been reading it. I just had 3 questions from it.
1) What is pan?
2) I am making a mix of different songs for a friend of mine so should I make a new track for every song?
3) I tried applying a the dynamic equalizer plugin to a song but the track does not have it available in the dropdown list as the manual mentions. What am I doing wrong?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

adinboy wrote:1) What is pan?
2) I am making a mix of different songs for a friend of mine so should I make a new track for every song?
3) I tried applying a the dynamic equalizer plugin to a song but the track does not have it available in the dropdown list as the manual mentions. What am I doing wrong?
1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_%28audio%29
2) That's what I do, but everybody has a different work flow. The choice is yours.
3) Rather than selecting your plugins from the drop-down list (see page768 in DP8 manual; insert settings vs inserts), click on one of the insert positions. That will bring up all available plug-ins.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
adinboy

Post by adinboy »

Phil O wrote:
adinboy wrote:1) What is pan?
1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_%28audio%29
2) That's what I do, but everybody has a different work flow. The choice is yours.
3) Rather than selecting your plugins from the drop-down list (see page768 in DP8 manual; insert settings vs inserts), click on one of the insert positions. That will bring up all available plug-ins.
Wow that really helps a lot. I am able to add my plugin effects now to the insert slots and graphically adjust it with the pen tool. But I was hoping for it to be more user-friendly. I was hoping to see the DEQ plugin window while I play with the track EQ settings. But rather I'm just selecting something very specific like "High Shelf: Ratio" and adjust that with the pen tool.

I just have 1 final question. I have currently mixed about 14 songs so far but I only have 2 tracks. I just stagger them as I go. I would like to use your way (probably the correct way) of mixing which is to put each song on its own track. How do I now move the songs onto a new track without losing its position in time throughout the mix. I've been trying to right click and find somewhere where it says move to new track but I can't find anything.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

1 Create as many new tracks as you need.
2 Select the soundbites you wish to move and go to Audio>Time Stamps>Set User Timestamp from Sequence.
3 Drag your soundbites to the appropriate new tracks.
4 Select them all and go to Audio>Time Stamps>Move to User Time Stamp
adinboy

Post by adinboy »

Phil O wrote:1 Create as many new tracks as you need.
2 Select the soundbites you wish to move and go to Audio>Time Stamps>Set User Timestamp from Sequence.
3 Drag your soundbites to the appropriate new tracks.
4 Select them all and go to Audio>Time Stamps>Move to User Time Stamp
That worked, thanks! I just wish there was a "Create new track with soundbite" option.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

There is. There is.

Go to the Tracks Overview window and drag the soundbite to the left side of the window. It will create a new track with the soundbite's name. :headbang: