Returning to the Fold... this time on PC

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Farkle
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Returning to the Fold... this time on PC

Post by Farkle »

Hello, Motu Nation 'ers,

I just wanted to re-introduce myself. I was a Digital Performer user years ago (DP 6), using it on a television show. I ended up moving to the video game industry, and switching to PC. Even though I really enjoyed DP, I enjoyed the Windows environment more, and switched to Sonar.

Used Sonar for a long time, and then.... Gibson happened. Got the info that Sonar was being removed from development, and if there's one thing the software industry taught me, it's to not use software that's not keeping up with OS development. :)

So, I reached out to Motu, and upgraded to DP 9.5, PC version last week. I'll be spending the holidays rebuilding my rig, and diving into DP. I have to say, I'm very excited to be getting back into the DP world; I focus on orchestral mockups, and DP's MIDI power is pretty darn impressive. I'm also digging the new plugins.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi, and that I'm excited to hop back on the Motunation forum, learn from all the power users on this site. Thank you, and happy holidays!

Mike
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Returning to the Fold... this time on PC

Post by bayswater »

I don't think we've heard from too many users on Windows that switched from a Mac. I'll be interested in your thoughts about running the PC version. Right now, it doesn't look like my next computer will be a Mac and a PC is, so far, the only alternative.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

and then.... Gibson happened
Always sad news.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
and then.... Gibson happened
Always sad news.
:?: What about those automatic tuners? Eh? Or was that an April Fool's joke? I can't tell any more once you told us TruCowBell is real.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

@bayswater - I was using Logic Pro X under OS X, but have just purchased DP 9.5, so I can run the same DAW on my portable system (Windows) as my main system (Mac OS). :D I use Reason 10 on both Windows & Mac OS X for 'ideation'. I like being able to have the flexibility of not being tied down.

... and I agree about '... and Gibson happened...'

I own a Matrix-1000 and the last time I had contact with Oberheim was just after Gibson took over. A few years later, "Oberheim, who?"

Good luck on diving in and working with DP!!
txa1265

Post by txa1265 »

bayswater wrote:I don't think we've heard from too many users on Windows that switched from a Mac. I'll be interested in your thoughts about running the PC version. Right now, it doesn't look like my next computer will be a Mac and a PC is, so far, the only alternative.
Yeah ... I have been underwhelmed at the performance of Performer with a few software synths on my 12” MacBook. I have normally used a rig that would be fine with a mid-90s setup :). But we’re redoing the basement so I have been doing computer-only stuff with a USB keyboard hooked in.

So now I am getting a 8th gen i7-based Dell laptop and wondering about moving my DP setup over to that. I will give it a shot and let you know.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Welcome back, Farkle!

I'm on PC as well, so if you have any issues feel free to ask. PM's are good, too!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools