SE vertical zoom problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ParanoidAndroid
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SE vertical zoom problem

Post by ParanoidAndroid »

Hi guys!

I have quite a silly problem. I work on sound design session with dozen of audio tracks and I have everything minimised in track hight to have best overview and move fast around different sections. But my huge problem is when I want to go to certain soundbite and do micro edit of in SE I found I have to mouse resize vertical certain track. Is there a way I can just highlight desired soundbite/track and do shortcut to resize that single track at certain height and then roll it back? That would such tremendous relief in a workflow.
Been through the manual but really haven't found anything solving my problem.

I would be very grateful for an input here.

Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: SE vertical zoom problem

Post by James Steele »

You gave me an idea. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but right now when you use the keyboard shortcuts to vertically zoom tracks in the Sequence Editor, ALL tracks are zoomed regardless of whether tracks are selected. Would it be helpful if, when there ARE selected tracks, ONLY those selected tracks zoom? I'm going to write to a contact at MOTU and suggest this.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James Steele wrote:...in the Sequence Editor, ALL tracks are zoomed regardless of whether tracks are selected.
More precisely, all visible tracks. I use the track selector window in combination with the zoom shortcuts in my workflow all the time, but it would be much easier if:
James Steele wrote:...when there ARE selected tracks, ONLY those selected tracks zoom...
This would be a great time saver, James. Good call.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Phil O wrote:
James Steele wrote:...when there ARE selected tracks, ONLY those selected tracks zoom...
This would be a great time saver, James. Good call.
I've sent a request on to someone on the "inside" at MOTU. I think this would be just a pretty no-brainer enhancement to how zoom works in the SE. Can't see any reason not to implement this. Even if, for example, you wanted to zoom ALL tracks and forgot one was selected... it would be pretty easy to notice that and just use Cmd + D to De-select and continue. If you were really OCD and wanted to be sure all your tracks were equal height you could then hit Opt+Cmnd+DownArrow and make them all the same size and then scale back up to where you want to be.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ParanoidAndroid

Hi James

That would definitelly sorta solve the issue for sure and made things much much easier. From my stand point ideally would be have a chance to keybind track heights from mini to immense and have the shortcuts applying to the currently selected tracks. That would really save tones of time.
James Steele wrote:...but right now when you use the keyboard shortcuts to vertically zoom tracks in the Sequence Editor, ALL tracks are zoomed regardless of whether tracks are selected.
That would work but only when the zooming would keep the center on selected/desired track. Otherwise it always end up somewhere else with a zoom and gotta scroll through to get to the soundbite I look for.

Thanks for your input here anyway!

Kind regards
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Well, I have a confession to make. There are some things I don't mind doing the hard way. It may take a little longer, but it's all billable time. So as long as I'm not dragging my feet, I'm ok with a few seconds here and a few seconds there. My clients get a pretty good deal just the same...so I can sleep at night. :wink:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
ParanoidAndroid

Phil O wrote:Well, I have a confession to make. There are some things I don't mind doing the hard way. It may take a little longer, but it's all billable time. So as long as I'm not dragging my feet, I'm ok with a few seconds here and a few seconds there. My clients get a pretty good deal just the same...so I can sleep at night. :wink:

Phil
Hi Phil. I absolutely get your point here but when it comes to make repeatedly the same mouse movements hundred of times per day it really takes a lot of your time summed up. I'm only really referring here to situation of heavy sound design session with over hundred of tracks. Otherwise I'm also fine with what you say in any other circumstances.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well if it's any consolation, I referred this post to someone I know at MOTU and I think they've looked at it and are taking it to heart. I won't be surprised if something is done to address that in the future.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

ParanoidAndroid wrote:...but when it comes to make repeatedly the same mouse movements hundred of times per day it really takes a lot of your time summed up...
Yeah, I hear ya and you're absolutely right. I'm often looking for time savers myself. My point is that sometimes all this effort to save a few seconds benefits the client - and although that puts a feather in your cap, it doesn't put a nickel in your pocket!

On the other hand, if you're getting paid per project and not by the hour every second you can save benefits you. :wink:

On you're third hand, if you're doing your own music, it's another ball game all together.

I'm just babbling now. Ignore that man behind the curtain.

Phil
Last edited by Phil O on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James Steele wrote:Well if it's any consolation, I referred this post to someone I know at MOTU and I think they've looked at it and are taking it to heart. I won't be surprised if something is done to address that in the future.
Thanks for that, James!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ParanoidAndroid wrote:But my huge problem is when I want to go to certain soundbite and do micro edit of in SE I found I have to mouse resize vertical certain track. Is there a way I can just highlight desired soundbite/track and do shortcut to resize that single track at certain height and then roll it back? That would such tremendous relief in a workflow.
Been through the manual but really haven't found anything solving my problem.
I'm almost hesitant to suggest this due to it being too simple and obvious. I might not be understanding your issue (been doing that a lot lately here)... But...
What works great for me when I'm all the way zoomed-out and I want to quickly edit a SB, is to press and hold letter Z to get the zoom tool while drawing a marquee around the area you want to super zoom in. Edit away, and then press Command - [ to return to your identical previous zoom level. This zooms in vertically and horizontally to fill the screen with your marquee and returns you to the identical zoom you had before.

It literally takes 2 key strokes to zoom way in and zoom way out.

The combinations for Command [ and Command ] are awesome! Try it oot!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

FMiguelez wrote: Edit away, and then press Command - [ to return to your identical previous zoom level. This zooms in vertically and horizontally to fill the screen with your marquee and returns you to the identical zoom you had before.

It literally takes 2 key strokes to zoom way in and zoom way out.

The combinations for Command [ and Command ] are awesome! Try it oot!
Whoa! Thanks for pointing this out. I feel like I'd been using the SE with one hand behind my back, and can't believe I didn't know this. I'm not the OP but you certainly made MY day! Thanks!
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

My pleasure, mesayre!

I'm glad you found it useful :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman