Recording on SSD drive?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tomf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording on SSD drive?

Post by tomf »

My system drive a 500GB drive got to full even though I put the minimum amount of things on it. I did have my samples on it although. So I got a 1TB SSD drive and cloned the operating system drive and put the 500GB drive in one of the bays. I am going to use the 500GB drive as a recording drive, this should speed up things. Have any of you done this and does it make recording more snappy?
HCMarkus

Re: Recording on SSD drive?

Post by HCMarkus »

Other than avoiding overfilling of your SSDs, I don't know that it will increase the "snappy quotient", but having a separate project drive makes organization easier. I've been doing it that way for years.

Make sure Trim is enabled for your SSDs. Google "Trimforce" if you have questions.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Re: Recording on SSD drive?

Post by mikehalloran »

Go ahead and leave DP and all applications on your 1T boot drive. It's where your Mac wants to see it.

Since you have that 500G, put your libraries on it. That will not speed up anything but it's good for organization. Audio moves so slowly that it has no effect on performance. SATA took care of that and even USB 2 is more than fast enough.

I leave my active projects on my boot drive but that's for convenience. Although theoretically faster to leave them on the boot drive, it makes no real difference unless the project is huge — then you might find BTD and loading a little slower if the projects are on another drive. I zip and off-load projects when not working them.

You don't say what OS. If 10.10.4 or later run the following in Terminal. Copy, paste, enter, then use your Admin password when prompted. Depending on your OS, the CYA warnings can be interesting.

sudo trimforce enable

If Yosemite 10.10.3 or earlier, that won't work but there's shareware that does and the TRIM enable portion is free.
https://cindori.org/trimenabler/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro