Building a computer for DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jazzylee77
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Building a computer for DP

Post by jazzylee77 »

HCMarkus wrote:
bayswater wrote: I don't know about PC motherboards, but wouldn't it have enough oomph for something like DP out of the box?
I am not aware of any PC motherboards that ship from the manufacturer with a GPU installed. Unless one uses the graphics integrated in current (non-Xeon) Intel CPUs, a separate GPU must be used. It is my impression that DP does not demand that much from a GPU.

While on this subject, I'd like to suggest the OP consider one of the current generation GPUs from Nvidia (1xxx) or AMD (4xx); more efficient = uses less power = less heat = less fan noise = quieter studio. They also offer really good bang for the buck.

Also, consider you might someday want to use a large 4k video monitor.
I'm not sure I can justify dropping that much $ on the video card.

Onboard video: Intel i7-6700K video specs

Code: Select all

Processor Graphics ‡ 	Intel® HD Graphics 530
Graphics Base Frequency 	350.00 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 	1.15 GHz
Graphics Video Max Memory 	64 GB
Graphics Output 	eDP/DP/HDMI/DVI
4K Support 	Yes, at 60Hz
Max Resolution (Intel® WiDi)‡ 	1080p
Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡ 	4096x2304@24Hz
Max Resolution (DP)‡ 	4096x2304@60Hz
Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 	4096x2304@60Hz
Max Resolution (VGA)‡ 	N/A
DirectX* Support 	12
OpenGL* Support 	4.4
Intel® Quick Sync Video
	Yes
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology 	Yes
Intel® Wireless Display
	Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology 	Yes
Intel® Clear Video Technology 	Yes
# of Displays Supported ‡ 	3
Device ID 	0x1912
That appears to be more than sufficient. I would only add a video card to allow the CPU to operate at its fullest and coolest.

Since I'm working almost completely with virtual instruments, noise is not as big a concern, though I may rue the day I said that. :roll:
DP8 - Windows 10 - i7 4ghz - 32 GB RAM - All Internal SSD harmonica with only one broken reed, lava lamp, cordless drill
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

You do not need a gaming monitor and video card for DP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kdm

Post by kdm »

mikehalloran wrote:You do not need a gaming monitor and video card for DP.
You do need more than a 700 series NVidia or comparable card to run video in DP. I ran into problems playing any video file on an older PC with a 700 series card and talked to MOTU about it. They recommended a higher end card, aka, closer to gaming calibre. 960s are less than $200 and work well. Apparently MOTU's video engine runs partly off of the GPU, but to be honest, it still isn't nearly as efficient as ProTools' video engine (which does use the GPU and barely registers any additional cpu load - DP registers quite a bit, especially with full length features).
jazzylee77

Post by jazzylee77 »

kdm wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:You do not need a gaming monitor and video card for DP.
You do need more than a 700 series NVidia or comparable card to run video in DP. I ran into problems playing any video file on an older PC with a 700 series card and talked to MOTU about it. They recommended a higher end card, aka, closer to gaming calibre. 960s are less than $200 and work well. Apparently MOTU's video engine runs partly off of the GPU, but to be honest, it still isn't nearly as efficient as ProTools' video engine (which does use the GPU and barely registers any additional cpu load - DP registers quite a bit, especially with full length features).

I highly appreciate this info. Fills in the gaps I knew I was missing.
I'm probably overthinking it, but hey I've got time. :) :deadhorse:

So to summarize; the "built in" i7 6700k graphics alone may be insufficient if running video. Though there seems to be some minor debate over the need for an additional graphics card It seems prudent to get a lower end 960 series card, but high end gaming cards are overkill.(I understand DP alone has no need for an additional graphics card, unless it is just to spread the processing load.) I doubt I'll be jumping into full length features right off, so I may wait till I see the need for the video card at all. I'll switch it on the list for a 960 for when/if that time comes.

Well except pcpartpicker has no Nvidia 960s listed. But I see them for under 200 at newegg... changed the part on the list to Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card... same chipset.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zJ6qbj
DP8 - Windows 10 - i7 4ghz - 32 GB RAM - All Internal SSD harmonica with only one broken reed, lava lamp, cordless drill
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So to summarize; the "built in" i7 6700k graphics alone may be insufficient if running video. Though there seems to be some minor debate over the need for an additional graphics card It seems prudent to get a lower end 960 series card, but high end gaming cards are overkill ...Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card... same chipset.
Something like that should be perfect.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jazzylee77

Post by jazzylee77 »

I have it all ordered now except power supply, Windows 10 and the graphics card. Probably 2-3 weeks before I have the money to finish. No... that wont drive me crazy. :roll:
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

jazzylee77 wrote:I have it all ordered now except power supply, Windows 10 and the graphics card. Probably 2-3 weeks before I have the money to finish. No... that wont drive me crazy. :roll:
Meanwhile you can play your harmonica. :dance:
Last edited by Tomas E on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

e-snobben wrote:
jazzylee77 wrote:I have it all ordered now except power supply, Windows 10 and the graphics card. Probably 2-3 weeks before I have the money to finish. No... that wont drive me crazy. :roll:
Meanwhile you can play you harmonica. :dance:
Or repair it with the cordless drill.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jazzylee77

Post by jazzylee77 »

I finished the computer, yay. Actually I put the final couple items on a card, boo, and finished it a couple weeks ago.

However my previous setup was so lame, I've owned DP8 since whenever it came out for windows (3 years?), I never fully learned how to use it. So with spare time I've been reviewing tutorial videos and such. Heck I spent 2 or 3 nights just enjoying a smooth running Kontakt and checking out what sounds I had.

Anyway, I'm following along while the tutorial vids play on another computer with lots of pausing and exploring. I'm using Groove3 vids "DP8 Explained","DP8advanced" and "How To:Digital Performer Project-03"

Thus I'm giving this quick report back. Fully testing it out with some massive heavily processed composition has taken a back seat to my learning the DAW and the basic plugins and Vsts. But so far short learning sequences with a dozen parts and various effects have not been any kind of challenge, even when I forgot and left open a massive video editing program. I'm not even aware of any cpu usage or buffer settings because no attention has been needed yet. I think I've had the buffer at 128--no, just checked, it's at 64 samples and not a single pop or delay out of it.

I'll throw a proper test at it sometime. Copying sequences of runs to more and more tracks and instruments till it shows some effect I suppose would give some idea of where it is at.

For now while I'm still motivated to slog through the learning I'm going to stick to that approach a couple more days. No day job work this weekend. So I should emerge way more familiar with DP8, Kontakt Komplete 9, VSL (Yes, I plan to use it on single computer)and maybe even take time to just play and create.
ata

Post by ata »

I recommend buying a used hp xw6600. It's the cheapest variant, you get 8 cores and can have up to 64 gigs of ram! Don't buy desktops. Ram on ebay is also super cheap for it and performance will outperform top desktops or will be at least on par. Also you can buy antinoise 4-pin adapters for making fans quiter. You can also remove ram fan alltogether. Use its mainboard's pins for connecting chassis fan via the said adapter. Hp is the best I swear. Don't buy supermicro or tyan because You will get pain with them.
jazzylee77

Post by jazzylee77 »

ata wrote:I recommend buying a used hp xw6600. It's the cheapest variant, you get 8 cores and can have up to 64 gigs of ram! Don't buy desktops. Ram on ebay is also super cheap for it and performance will outperform top desktops or will be at least on par. Also you can buy antinoise 4-pin adapters for making fans quiter. You can also remove ram fan alltogether. Use its mainboard's pins for connecting chassis fan via the said adapter. Hp is the best I swear. Don't buy supermicro or tyan because You will get pain with them.
Cool I'll go back in time 2 years and do that instead.