7 bar delay when recording via MIDI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
inkywriter
Primary DAW OS: Windows

7 bar delay when recording via MIDI

Post by inkywriter »

I have managed to input via MIDI successfully, but must have done something that means that it now delays for about 7 bars before it appears on the track. How do I stop this happening. Thanks
PoliticalBonobo

Re: 7 bar delay when recording via MIDI

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

This happened to me at first too. Go into Preferences and play with turning on/off MIDI Patch Thru settings.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
inkywriter

Post by inkywriter »

Thank you for your advice. I went into preferences and changed the MIDI Patch Thru mode from Auto channelize to Off which has corrected the issue of the music starting in the right place which is great! But now when I play through my keyboard, I get no sound when trying to record! It only seems to want to make sound when the Patch Thru is on Auto. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks
PoliticalBonobo

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

What fixed it for me was unchecking 'Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru'. Then I also had an issue with duplicate MIDI notes (two recorded MIDI notes layered on top of each other). To work around that, I checked 'Multi Record' under Region menu (might be under a different menu, can't remember exactly). Now when you create a MIDI track, you need to select the input as MIDI Channel 1 (instead of 'ANY'). Try those steps and report back.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
inkywriter

Post by inkywriter »

Really helpful - doing as you suggested has fixed the issue - so many thanks - really appreciate the help!