side-chain?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
olega
Primary DAW OS: Windows

side-chain?

Post by olega »

Hello everyone! please explain to me how to make the message side-chain? I do so, upload on track with the bass plugin which supports the side chain and at the entrance side chain choose stereo group bus 64-63 and track with drums I make a promise on this stereo band - am I doing it right?)thanks in advance
xmission

Re: side-chain?

Post by xmission »

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but if you are trying to side chain vst plugins, you can't do it because DP doesn't support VST3
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

Go to Bundles.
Make a bus.
Send the audio you want side-chained, through the bus.
Go to the plugin and "promise" the bus in the side-chain.

Have someone validate this.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

Plenty of VST2 plugins support sidechaining...it's pretty much always been there.
When steinberg started pushing vst3, they basically said "VST2 sidechaining is not supported", and they apparently stopped it from working as it always had in cubendo, in order to push VST3. Some plugins that are new to vst-land do not support sidechaining in VST2 for that reason. Some others apparently stopped supporting it (waves?) at some point.
I have several vst2 plugs that sidechain just fine in DP.

If your plugin supports sidechain input, you'll see it in the "DP wrapping" part at the top of the plugin window, as a pulldown (labelled as either sidechain input, or key input, i believe).
Set up a bus as Mathematics describes, and use a send (or directly route the output) from the track you want to trigger the comp from to that bus. Select that bus as the sidechain input on the channel with the compressor.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.