Effects in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jonesmusic80
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Effects in DP

Post by jonesmusic80 »

I have several MIDI tracks routed to instruments tracks in my DP project. This music will be used in a documentary film.

Question - WHY do film composers use EQ, compressor, and other effects when mixing the final product? I understand why and how to use Reverb but I'm not sure about the other things.

What effects do composers use in DP, and why?
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Effects in DP

Post by HCMarkus »

jonesmusic80 wrote:I have several MIDI tracks routed to instruments tracks in my DP project. This music will be used in a documentary film.

Question - WHY do film composers use EQ, compressor, and other effects when mixing the final product? I understand why and how to use Reverb but I'm not sure about the other things.

What effects do composers use in DP, and why?
There are many books on the subject. I would encourage you to do some reading.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That question is waaaaay too broad to answer here and not really in the scope of the board. Maybe someone will answer you, but HCMarkus is correct. If you don't know what those things are, and you want to produce your own scores to deliver for broadcast or theatrical release, you will HAVE TO know what you're doing or the entire work will be rejected. You can screw up an otherwise brilliant score, sound design, and mix by using these tools incorrectly.

Look up MASTERING SOUND, or better yet, try to take a course in it. Otherwise, tell the producer the tracks need to be sent out to be mastered. There are VERY specific guidelines pertaining to audio levels and formats that are acceptable. Stray from them and, again, your work will be rejected. If you print your tracks with these effects you may not be able to recover and the entire project will be useless.

Also, when posting, try to be VERY specific. Phrases such as: "WHY do film composers use EQ, compressor, and other effects when mixing the final product?" are so broad as to not encourage responses. There are so many options available and so many plugs from MOTU and other vendors that it's impossible to cover them all (or even a small percentage of them) in a "general discussion."
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Trying to put a lifetime of experiences and mistakes into a few paragraphs is not possible. Those who would try are not worth reading.

A much better question: I am interested in composing for film. Is there a book or course would you recommend to a neophyte to get up to speed quickly?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

mikehalloran wrote:[...]I am interested in composing for film. Is there a book or course would you recommend to a neophyte to get up to speed quickly?
Well, you nailed it, Mike!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

mikehalloran wrote:Trying to put a lifetime of experiences and mistakes into a few paragraphs is not possible. Those who would try are not worth reading.

A much better question: I am interested in composing for film. Is there a book or course would you recommend to a neophyte to get up to speed quickly?
So... what's your answer to that question then?
MIDI Life Crisis

Robert Randolph wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Trying to put a lifetime of experiences and mistakes into a few paragraphs is not possible. Those who would try are not worth reading.

So... what's your answer to that question then?
Network.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Mathematics »

jonesmusic80 wrote:WHY do film composers use EQ, compressor, and other effects when mixing the final product?
To make it sound great.
jonesmusic80 wrote:I understand why and how to use Reverb but I'm not sure about the other things. What effects do composers use in DP, and why?
You will not get an answer to this question without reading some text regarding "Mastering." I suggest a book called Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior. This is the cheapest "beginner" book I can think of that will supplement what you know/don't know about mixing. This book also provides great information that will be your stepping stone to more advanced techniques that top mastering engineers use.

http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Sm ... 0240815807

Some composers double as audio engineers and the effects they use ITB, depend on what they have to work with. Knowing what reverb is and asking what other effects to use for mastering songs and why, is like knowing what a piano is and asking what other instruments a composer would use and why they would use those instruments. Each effect is like an instrument...you have to understand and learn to use it. It takes time and experience. No simple answer.

Other than DP, what have you used before? What is your studio composed of?
Last edited by Mathematics on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Mathematics,

That was a generous and thoughful post.

Instead of jumping to make a comment that was unconstructive and snide, you have shared some useful information. Thanks for being so positive.

I hope the OP appreciates your help, and I hope they come back here and post again so that they can learn more.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Roey Izhaki's "Mixing Audio" ain't a bad place to start either, but some sections will seem to go on forever... like the compression one. It's a book that's worth persisting with until you get your head around it... then you keep it for reference.

Not sure if I spelled that correctly. Going from memory...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote:Roey Izhaki's "Mixing Audio" ain't a bad place to start either, but some sections will seem to go on forever... like the compression one. It's a book that's worth persisting with until you get your head around it... then you keep it for reference.

Not sure if I spelled that correctly. Going from memory...
You remembered correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... ydcuvkif_b

Here's a thread on the subject with some more recommendations.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie- ... -read.html

I've never read a book on the subject so I can't recommend one.

The Izhaki book seems to be the mixing version of Rimsky-Korsakoff's "Principles of Orchestration", a book I did read in college as a textbook.

Such books are best read, absorbed and then kept in the background as you move forward. I never think of Rimsky nor would I ever defer to his outdated "Principles...". Otoh, I would never score, say a solo flute in its lowest octave against a brass choir for live, unamplified performance (it could work in a film score, however, through use of dynamic processing and eq). A book can't tell me how to make music but it can tell me that the dynamic range of a flute is dependent on its octave, useful info to a string and brass player.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

+1 on Izhaki

Where has our OP gone?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

The book store? :?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Roey Izhaki's "Mixing Audio" ain't a bad place to start either, but some sections will seem to go on forever... like the compression one. It's a book that's worth persisting with until you get your head around it... then you keep it for reference.
Thanks for reminding me. I have the book tucked away somewhere, and I'll have to find it. Reading through it now and then is good for you.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote: I never think of Rimsky nor would I ever defer to his outdated "Principles...".
Those "outdated" principles are as valid today as they were then. How much actual orchestration do you actually do for a live, full symphony orchestra? They are the same general principles applied by Stravinsky, Williams, Adams, and Nelson Riddle. Sure, R-K was writing in a specific genre that has become more of a relic in 2015, but the PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION he used remain in effect. Berlioz wrote a great book on instrument specific technique. I suppose that's also obsolete? Not.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS