Any tips how to do these things?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
NipDog
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Any tips how to do these things?

Post by NipDog »

Hi

#1. MIDI editor - very helpful if
a) getting notes to play if selected
b) that clicking on PRV keyboard plays that note, and also highlights the row while holding key down
c) selecting notes by row, just clicking on PRV keyboard on left
(probably solved as reading manual, double click should select events on that note)

#2. Tried things like activating scrub tool, but no luck.
At some point a piano track play dragging over timeline, but not the drums I was trying to get to sound.

#3. Assigning keyboard bindings
Is there a way to just remove existing binding that are reported as conflicts. Really time consuming, attempting to assign one command, and have to leave that and look up two others and remove those first.

And besides, manual states "delete" key is removing a binding, but it's actually backspace(learned from other helpful user).

#4. Performance of gui - reducing cpu load
Looked for something that other daws have, a setting to say how often to update meters while running playback. I'm having double cpu load compared to other daws on DP - same project and settings.

#5. Are there differences in cpu load how you do sends?
If doing direct connect from bus 1-2, or going through bundles.
Other ways to do it?
Seems very flexible how you route via these busses - but often flexibility cost in performance.

#6. Is there a way to get playposition marker/bar go back to where you last started playback - when pressing stop/spacebar?
I saw buttons on control bar, but that move all the way to start 1:1:000.

Thanks.
W7 Pro i7-860 2.8GHz 16G ram RME HDSP 9632+AI4S Nvidia GeForce 210
wilcofan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any tips how to do these things?

Post by wilcofan »

#3 No. It's part of the feature that you can actually use the same keystroke, do different things, depending where you are. I like that. However, it can be a pain from scratch. And I think having an extra "destroy current assignments" beside the OK button would be excellent.

I did myself a favor and made a blank binding set (went through once and deleted, excuse me... backspaced, every key). Was a good learning experience.

#6 It's one of the many "MEMORY" buttons in your transport. The one with the triangle I think. Type "memory" in your key bindings search window and you should spot the key command.

#4 My GUI performance on 8.07 is really bad. I am demoing v9 right now and the difference with plugin animations is night and day. v9 is kinda a no-brainer for Windows users I think.
Digital Performer 8.07
Mac Pro 3.1
Windows 7 (bootcamp)
NipDog

Post by NipDog »

wilcofan wrote: #4 My GUI performance on 8.07 is really bad. I am demoing v9 right now and the difference with plugin animations is night and day. v9 is kinda a no-brainer for Windows users I think.
Thanks, good to know they worked on that.

Thanks for your help.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

NipDog wrote:Hi

#1. MIDI editor - very helpful if
a) getting notes to play if selected

#2. Tried things like activating scrub tool, but no luck.
At some point a piano track play dragging over timeline, but not the drums I was trying to get to sound.
#1 This is done with two things. The little Speaker icon enables this, but you also may have to go to your VI plugin, go to the mini menu and enable "Run this instance in realtime" -- (Perhaps "default to realtime" is a useful setting as well). This should get you sound when you select a single note, and sound when you scrub MIDI (#2).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
NipDog

Post by NipDog »

That's great, thank you.
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

1c is do-able via doubleclicking the note on the keyboard. it works in the SE as well as the ME.
[this is corrected, it's not ctrl+click!, sorry about that!]

Also, to confirm, plugin gui lags were an issue with some vst plugs in v8, but v9 cured it. Aside from the settings in the Setup/Configure Audio System/Configure Studio Settings, there isn't a way to specifically tune refresh as you're describing.

Cheers,
kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.