Missing Sidechain Inputs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
xmission
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Missing Sidechain Inputs

Post by xmission »

Hi All,

I've had 0 luck with setting up sidechains the few times that I've tried quickly to set one up, but I'm still learning DP, and didn't really have time to put into the reading and searching required to figure it out.

I just grabbed Waves Vocal rider at a pretty good deal though, and would really like to use it, but I cannot figure our why there is no sidechain input selector showing. It's not on the main part of the plugin, as far as I can tell, and the plugin container around it doesn't show the side chain selection either.

I've been searching google for a few hours, and have come up blank.

Anyone been through this?

Thanks

Dan
xmission

Re: Missing Sidechain Inputs

Post by xmission »

Well, I may have my answer. It looks like VST2 does not support sidechain inputs for plugins like VST3 does.

I haven't dug in, but my guess is that DP8 doesn't support VST3.

Anyone know?
opeth13

Post by opeth13 »

you're right about the VST2/VST3 thing. The sidechain only shows up when it's running as VST3. However, you may be able to use the method described halfway down in this thread to achieve the same thing, pretty sure the same steps can be taken in DP.

http://tinyurl.com/nmb58gh

hmm, pardon me if I've broken some etiquette in linking to the forum I linked to above.
Intel Sandybridge i5-2300 cpu 3.10 GHz (quad core w/o hyperthreading), 6gb ram, Win 7 64bit, DP 8.04 (32 bit), M-Audio Midiman, M-Audio Fast Track USB audio i/o.
xmission

Post by xmission »

Thanks for the post.

I did read that thread, and that's how I figured out the vst2-3 thing.

I think that the way they were automating, only moved the volume fader, and didn't really get anything to the side chain input unfortunately.

I'm wondering if there isn't a way to run the vocal rider as a stand alone, and somehow get a buss over there, but I doubt it.

I'll try it as soon as I get some time. MAybe there's something free that I can run it in just for this purpose.
opeth13

Post by opeth13 »

I'm stubborn and I want to see this work :D

This thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=399728

has a link to this free vst3 host:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vsthost ... ib/details

and also a link to a vst3 wrapper (I can't verify this link works as my work web filter is blocking the page, so use good judgement :) ):

http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/beta/
Intel Sandybridge i5-2300 cpu 3.10 GHz (quad core w/o hyperthreading), 6gb ram, Win 7 64bit, DP 8.04 (32 bit), M-Audio Midiman, M-Audio Fast Track USB audio i/o.
xmission

Post by xmission »

That's interesting.

Let me know how you make out. I may get a chance to <screw up my system> try this out this weekend if things work out :)
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

From what i understand, VST3 just has an explicit defined mechanism for sidechaining, whereas vst2 did not. So some devs won't put the feature into their vst2 plugs because steinberg says it's not supported, while others have had working sidechain in that format for time immemorial. The artsacoustic cl series sidechains just fine in DP, for instance. But metric halo didn't put that functionality into their vst release due to lack of direct support.

Also, note that waves v9 plugs aren't supported in DP8 anyway, other than au (with some exceptions).
http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts
I don't think their demo instruments show up at all in dp (pc).

Thanks for the heads up, re: the wrapper, though...i'll have to give that a go!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
xmission

Post by xmission »

I have an s-load of waves v9 plugins working without problem in DP8. The only thing that doesn't work, that I know of, is the sidechain. Never had any problems.
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

I have a few that seem to work okay, but none of my waves plugs involve sidechain (does that work for you in other hosts, per chance? or is it a vst2 limitation across the board with waves?). The instruments definitely don't work (i just tried again, and they scan but don't show up in the selector list).
I think there's perhaps a little more work to be done on the vst-mas wrapper, as i do have problems here or there with other vst plugs and instruments i've used without issue for years (yet, not with a couple of others?). I figure that as the kinks get worked out, (official) waves support will follow.
It's a bit frustrating on one hand, but given that it's a first attempt at vst and pc in general, i think it's a good start. Some snags are to be expected.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
xmission

Post by xmission »

I'm not sure I have any waves instruments, so I can't say they work. I use the audio plugins.

I've been using DP for about a year, and didn't realize that vst was a new thing for motu.

I don't have protools, but it sounds like the sidechain works there.