DP8 on a Windows Tablet?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
meredithsdg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 on a Windows Tablet?

Post by meredithsdg »

Hey Folks,

I'm a longtime DP user on Mac. I have DP8, but have mostly stayed with DP7.

I'm curious, will DP8 run on a Windows tablet? I'm mainly looking to use it to play backing tracks when I perform live. I would at most be playing one Stereo audio track with no effects and/or perhaps a few MIDI tracks.

As a Mac/iPad user, I know little about Windows and nothing about Windows tablets. I'm willing to spend as much as I need on a tablet. I thought about getting a MacMini and running it from my rig with DP control, but it seems like it could be simpler just to run DP on a tablet if I can.

Thanks,

Dan
iMac i7 Quad Core, 8Gig Ram, DP 8, DP 7.24, MachFive 3, Virtual Steinway, Real Guitar 2.1, Finale 2011, Sound Studio 3.6.1, iPad (3) 32GB 4G, MOTU 896HD, Fastlane, Korg Kronos 73, Casio PX-5S
http://sdgministry.com
bayswater

Re: DP8 on a Windows Tablet?

Post by bayswater »

For some reason, MOTU does not have a tech note on the system requirements for DP 8, as they do for everything else. There is no mention of tablets in the description of DP 8, and you'd think if it works, they'd make a big deal of it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

All I know is over at KVR someone was happy as a clam that they could get U-He Diva running on a tablet. Diva as far as I know isn't a stand alone application so they had to host it in some Windows DAW or another.

I don't know if anyone has tried DP8 on an Windows tablet though? you're probably going into unknown territory there.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
meredithsdg

Post by meredithsdg »

The Surface Pro 3 is available with an i5 processor and runs Windows 8.1. It claims to run all windows software. Is there a reason that it wouldn't run DP8?
iMac i7 Quad Core, 8Gig Ram, DP 8, DP 7.24, MachFive 3, Virtual Steinway, Real Guitar 2.1, Finale 2011, Sound Studio 3.6.1, iPad (3) 32GB 4G, MOTU 896HD, Fastlane, Korg Kronos 73, Casio PX-5S
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

meredithsdg wrote:The Surface Pro 3 is available with an i5 processor and runs Windows 8.1. It claims to run all windows software. Is there a reason that it wouldn't run DP8?
If it also meets RAM, memory and screen size specs, maybe it will. But then it looks a lot more like a PC with a detachable touch sensitive screen than a traditional tablet. Why not ask MOTU?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
meredithsdg

Post by meredithsdg »

I will ask MOTU. Just thought perhaps someone here had real world experience.

Thanks!
Pro Greninger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Pro Greninger »

Runs great on a windows 8 Surface Pro 3 i7, smooth HD video playback NAS library, you'll need a dock though and it's worth it for all the 4 USB 3.0 ports and the Gigabit Ethernet port. I'm actually having more problems running DP on my core 2 duo win 7 64 with 8 gigs of ram than I am on the Surface PRO in win 8, The key to making it really work well is to have a external monitor of some sort, think of the surface as a CPU with a screen on it, because that's what it really is, you might consider a small fan for it if you're pushing it hard. I need to shop for a cooling solution just because I want the highest performance, but I ask it to do things like render video and bounce huge files. FYI I went with the 256 Gig, and put everything that wasn't an application on to the NAS or external drive, if you connect the external drive directly on install of libraries, you can move it to an NAS afterwards and re link the plugins. Major Studios operate this way as they maintain their libraries on separate servers than than the DAW systems. This way if a DAW must be re-installed, and I mean down to the whole OS you don't have to reload many gigabytes of library files.