Reducing DAW to Notation Software Cleanup Time

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
EricBenaim
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Reducing DAW to Notation Software Cleanup Time

Post by EricBenaim »

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well for you.

I am currently making the switch to DP8 (Win) from another DAW. I'm enjoying the new workflow, especially when dealing with larger templates.

I've been toying around with the idea of routing the MIDI inputs and audio of the channels to allow myself to compose and mix in DP8, then export the MIDI data into Finale 2014, and produce the score/parts without much track merging/cleanup.

Would it be possible to somehow duplicate and re-route the MIDI data output from each MIDI track?

*One copy would go to a MIDI depository track that combines all the MIDI articulations into a single channel: VL1 sus, VL1 leg, VL1 pizz, etc into simply "Vl. 1". Same with "Vl. 2", "Vla.", "Vcl.", etc.

*The second copy of the MIDI information for each articulation/track would go into the stereo Instrument track that holds the VST sampler, to continue the usual routing and create my mock-up in DP.

I'm simply trying to create a template that is routed to skip the phase where I merge and rename tracks in my notation software. Essentially allowing me to funnel a copy of the output coming from the 100+ MIDI tracks with different articulations, into one channel per instrument. (The audio playback would still occur normally, as only a copy of the signal would be routed in this fashion)

I hope I somehow managed to explain myself. Just trying to make my job harder on the template to make things easier every time I need to produce a score from a mock-up.

Perhaps someone has a more efficient way of doing this, but after some tests with MIDI device groups and aux tracks I couldn't manage to put this part of the template together. It seemed like a good idea to ask! :D

Thank you again for your time and help,

Eric Benaim
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reducing DAW to Notation Software Cleanup Time

Post by bayswater »

Sorry to say I don't have an answer, but I have to say it's a really interesting question. Being able to route MIDI in the way you describe has possibilities.

I don't see a way to do this by setting up a template. But some thoughts:

1) put the tracks for an instrument in a folder so they are easy to find and select, and then merge the MIDI into a single track. You'd have to keep the keyswitching notes in separate tracks.

2) It might be possible to do something with Custom Consoles. These can use MIDI tracks as sources and destinations, and the MIDI that passes through them can be recorded. Probably awkward to set up.

3) Does Finale record MIDI? You could route MIDI from DP via Inter-application MIDI to Finale, with the assignments setup properly, and record it there.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
EricBenaim

Post by EricBenaim »

bayswater wrote:Sorry to say I don't have an answer, but I have to say it's a really interesting question. Being able to route MIDI in the way you describe has possibilities.

I don't see a way to do this by setting up a template. But some thoughts:

1) put the tracks for an instrument in a folder so they are easy to find and select, and then merge the MIDI into a single track. You'd have to keep the keyswitching notes in separate tracks.

2) It might be possible to do something with Custom Consoles. These can use MIDI tracks as sources and destinations, and the MIDI that passes through them can be recorded. Probably awkward to set up.

3) Does Finale record MIDI? You could route MIDI from DP via Inter-application MIDI to Finale, with the assignments setup properly, and record it there.
Thank you for your reply, Bayswater. I hope all is well for you.

I already have all my MIDI tracks in instrument folders, but that is a good follow-up!

That's an interesting idea, I suppose there might be a way to set that up so that Finale reads everything. I haven't tried recording multiple MIDI sources into Finale, but I certainly hope it is possible.

Hmm, I suddenly thought about the following possibility while writing this response:

I could create a template that has a copy of all my channels, looks the same, and has the same track layout, but load it in a separate sequence inside my usual template. Then, I could make the MIDI-funnels in the second sequence/chunk. The final step would simply involve pressing Ctrl+A to select all my MIDI events/data from my main sequence, followed by a quick drag-and-drop to the second sequence that is routed for score creation.

It seems like a decent idea at the moment, but I'll have to give it a shot later.

Thank you again for your time and help, Bayswater. I will most likely explore your suggestions as well.

Best Wishes,

Eric Benaim
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Let us know what you decide to do.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Finale can import MIDI files and can also record in real time. That's not the same as importing in real time which is what you are talking about as far as I can tell.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If Finale records MIDI and works with CoreMIDI, then it should be able to record MIDI played from another application like DP via Interapplication MIDI or the IAC bus. That's what I had in mind.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Eric, have a look at this newer thread. It suggests a way to route MIDI within DP. You might be able to use this technique to play a load of MIDI tracks and record them on other MIDI tracks. Not trivial to set up, but once it's in a template, that wouldn't matter.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 74#p490374
EricBenaim

Post by EricBenaim »

bayswater wrote:Eric, have a look at this newer thread. It suggests a way to route MIDI within DP. You might be able to use this technique to play a load of MIDI tracks and record them on other MIDI tracks. Not trivial to set up, but once it's in a template, that wouldn't matter.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 74#p490374
That does certainly look very promising! I will have to explore that avenue as well. :)

Thank you again, friend!

Best wishes!

EB