Questions about Soloing and freezing tracks in DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
drjazz930
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Questions about Soloing and freezing tracks in DP8

Post by drjazz930 »

Greetings,

I'm liking DP8 more all the time. I just have a couple of questions, I'm hoping someone can assist me.

1. I want to be able to quickly solo a track, but I don't see how to do this.

2. I would also like to be able to Name or rename a track, I've tried Right clicking and also in the Project and edit menus, but don't see anything.

3. Finally, my laptop is running out of steam after about 6 tracks of Sampletank 3. I'd like to freeze all my MIDI VI tracks to free it up. Again, it isn't mentioned in the Project or Edit menus.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide,
Edward
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Questions about Soloing and freezing tracks in DP8

Post by NazRat »

1. I assume you're talking about the Sequence Editor. One way is to keep the Channel Strip open in a side bar or float it (my preference). Then as you select the track the Channel Strip will change with the selection and a solo button is available. Others will have different approaches, i.e. with mixing board scrolling or alt-click the play button.

2. Alt-click the name.

3. Make selections and then 'Freeze Selected Tracks' - covered thoroughly in the manual. Probably some videos out there also.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
drjazz930

Post by drjazz930 »

Nazrat: Once again, thank you so much, I'll be trying all this tonight.
Edward
drjazz930

Post by drjazz930 »

Hi Nazrat,

I did try your suggestions, the only issue is that I tried to select all the tracks, and then choose Cntrl-Win-F, which is supposed to work, but doesn't, I can't seem to find any reference to it in the Users guide. I'm on Win 7 64.
Thanks,
Edward
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Select the MIDI track(s) and the corresponding Instrument track(s) and then freeze (page 135 in the User Guide). If that's not working on your system, maybe give MOTU support a call.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1