VST Instrument Plug-ins Sending MIDI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Danielo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

VST Instrument Plug-ins Sending MIDI

Post by Danielo »

Hello;

New to DP8 on Windows and am enjoying it so far (some instability, but not anything worse than I have experienced with other DAW vendors!)...

The question I have involves VST Instrument Plug-ins which transmit MIDI information to other Plug-ins...how are these set-up in DP8?

For example, Cthulhu:

http://www.xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

Which is an Arpeggiator plug-in...I have no trouble using it in Live 9, but can't get my head around how to set it up in DP8

Note, that I am not talking about MIDI FX plugins here, but rather an Instrument type plug-in which sends out MIDI to another instrument plug-in, for example the MIDI information flow would be as follows:

MIDI Controller -> Cthulhu -> Kontakt 5

Any ideas

Cheers

Daniel Ottini
http://danielottinimusic.tumblr.com/
Cheers

Daniel Ottini,
Composer/Electronic Musician
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-ottini
The Tone Ranger

Re: VST Instrument Plug-ins Sending MIDI

Post by The Tone Ranger »

Have you had any luck yet, getting DP 8 on Windows to load Kontakt 5? I just downloaded the DP 8.04 demo and am having the same problem. I own Kontakt 5. I'm running both DP8 and K5 in 64 bit mode, on Win 7 64. I've had no problems getting K5 recognized in R e a p e r or Cubase.

I've looked in the Preferences and Settings and elsewhere. Any hints? Thanks in advance.
bdr
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bdr »

Look for 'multi record' under the studio menu. That will allow you to choose the input of each channel. I tried this last night using kirnu cream and it worked great.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Danielo

Post by Danielo »

Tone Ranger...suggest you start a thread regarding Kontakt not showing up - I started this thread to discuss VSTs which output MIDI...

That being said, I have had no problem with DP8 identifying Kontakt 5 - it can be picky with some plugins, but all the NI plugins were identified with no problem. In the preferences menu, try checking the Kontakt check box under the vst listing (if it shows up).

Are you sure that Kontakt is properly authorized with NI????? :D

Daniel Ottini
http://danielottinimusic.tumblr.com/
Cheers

Daniel Ottini,
Danielo

Post by Danielo »

BDr;

Tried enabling multi record under the studio menu, but still couldn't get around the configuration...I have my controller going into a MIDI track and the MIDI track transmitting to Kirnu Cream- but what next? Because Kirnu is an instrument it does not offer MIDI output that I can run to another instrument VST?

How does your configuration look??
Cheers

Daniel Ottini,
bdr
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bdr »

Hey Daniel...you need to have Cream 1-1 as the input of the synth you want to 'control' by Cream. (In the status bar of Cream there is a MIDI input and output number so you could change the output to 2, in that case the input of the synth would need to be Cream 1-2). You need to have record on on both Cream and the synth you are controlling, then it will work.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Danielo

Post by Danielo »

Hey bdr;

Despite your instructions still took me awhile longer for the light to turn on :D

And then...

The trick, for anyone else that is interested is that you need two MIDI tracks (in Windows anyway)

So it looks something like this:

MIDI Controller -> DP MIDI 1 -> Kirnu Cream
DP MIDI 1 -> Kirnu Cream (Instrument Track) -> Audio Out
Kirnu Cream -> DP MIDI 2 -> VST Synth
DP MIDI 2 -> VST Synth -> Audio Out

Not the most intuitive, but for the few times I will use it, it works

Many thanks
Cheers

Daniel Ottini,
Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

The Tone Ranger wrote:Have you had any luck yet, getting DP 8 on Windows to load Kontakt 5? I just downloaded the DP 8.04 demo and am having the same problem. I own Kontakt 5. I'm running both DP8 and K5 in 64 bit mode, on Win 7 64. I've had no problems getting K5 recognized in R e a p e r or Cubase.

I've looked in the Preferences and Settings and elsewhere. Any hints? Thanks in advance.
Kontakt 5 64bit? I gave up on that....let me know if you find a solution (there's no MOTU support until you shell out the $400). I tried other poster's suggestions, but no luck. Curious to know if it's a bug. Also won't recognize Eastwest Play.
The Tone Ranger

Post by The Tone Ranger »

Yes, I found a solution, at least for my system: my plugins folder (which contains the .dll files) is this:
C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit\

But what DP was looking for the folder above it, which only contains folder names, not the actual plugins:
C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\

The x64 demo (DP 8.04) seems to be functional on my system (Win 7 Pro x64, i7 quad, 24GB Ram) but it has crashed twice in two weeks of daily use. I'm trying to learn all of its features before the demo runs out to see if I'll buy it, hoping to learn the many secrets still buried deep inside its 900 page "guide".
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

Hi guys, I'm not following you on this. Would you be able to explain the routing in a little bit more detail? I just can't seem to get how to route MIDI from 3rd party MIDI plugins such as Cthulhu, Kirnu, Thesys etc... to instruments within DP8. Thank you so much for any help you can give.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.