The Chair, or what do you sit on?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Chair, or what do you sit on?

Post by supersonic »

I though I would takes everyone's mind of the music for a little while and concentrate on some of us basic needs :).
The sitting position is for many of us the one that we spent most time in. It is therefore also logical that it is responsible for a variety of pains and discomforts most of us encounter at some point or another. It can make our work a lot easier or end up being a chore for no apparent reason. I have gone through many chairs in my life and have my own favourites. Recently I have been sitting a lot on a simple piano bench, given that I also spend time in front of my Nord Piano and because I am interested in the Alexander Technique.
I have used a variety of chairs in the past - from a simple budget office chair to Aeron. I saw Dave Pensado seems to be using a chair I have never encountered here in Europe from the company named Human Scale:
https://www.humanscale.com/products/pro ... mTaskChair.

It takes a lot of trial and error to find the one that fits. I have checked many out of which only a few ever seemed to fit my bones. On the other hand, the Alexander Technique promotes the idea that even a simple, not too comfy chair like the piano bench is good enough, provided you sit correctly. But then who has time to think of that when we are constantly eying our compressors, eqs et editing hundreds of tracks... :)
What is your take on it?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
HCMarkus

Re: The Chair, or what do you sit on?

Post by HCMarkus »

My take: Costco Office Chair. Comfy, leather, some support, leans back, adjustable height. I've been using this one for a couple of years now. Still going strong.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Herman Miller Aeron for me. Bought it after being hospitalized for back problems. Cost $1,200 but it works and doesn’t cause pain. I don’t consider it ideal, though. I just realized it’s 15 years old so they hold up.

During that period, I was working for the phone company in Oakland. I managed to snag a perfect office chair for my use. When I left, I forgot to write down what it was. Damn, that was nice.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rnappi

Post by rnappi »

mikehalloran wrote:Herman Miller Aeron for me. Bought it after being hospitalized for back problems. Cost $1,200 but it works and doesn’t cause pain. I don’t consider it ideal, though. I just realized it’s 15 years old so they hold up.
+1

Great chairs. Mine's from 2000, so yes, they're built to last.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz Westmere 12 Core_96G Ram_OSX 10.12.6_DP 9.5
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

rnappi wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Herman Miller Aeron for me. Bought it after being hospitalized for back problems. Cost $1,200 but it works and doesn’t cause pain. I don’t consider it ideal, though. I just realized it’s 15 years old so they hold up.
+1

Great chairs. Mine's from 2000, so yes, they're built to last.
I got one when the topic last came up here. Well worth it. I never think about what I’m sitting on.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
leigh

Post by leigh »

Some of the best money I've ever spent.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I've had lots of chairs come and go but this old wooden office chair is my favorite,kind of hard to see but its as old as I am.
Its great for just picking up a guitar and chopping away.
It also squeaks and is on quit a few recordings.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I bought an expensive "back" chair, but took it back in 2 days because it made my legs fall asleep no matter what setting. I ended up getting a cheap chair, but I made a wedge shape out of dense pad layers-- this did the trick. This chair has arms that fold up so I can play guitar/bass/drums from the same perch as needed.

There was a vid with Imogen Heap recommending a fit ball for studio sitting. I thought ... "Hmm. Maybe." But I just couldn't get the height right.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I bought a couple dozen of these for the production company I ran. Editors, engineers, men, women, and people of all body types and work styles loved them. The adjustable seat pan really makes a difference. Worth considering.
https://www.knoll.com/product/life?gcli ... OgQAvD_BwE
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
frankf

Post by frankf »

The Stealth Chair. I bought one at NAMM 2017 from Steve Knight the designer (they were at NAMM this year also) I love it for a studio chair. Good price too. Here's a link to a review at Harmony Central. The review itself has a link to the company. BTW, Steve makes the Phantom Focus chair, in different color, sold by Carl Tatz
http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-re ... eers-chair

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wylie1 wrote:Its great for just picking up a guitar and chopping away. It also squeaks and is on quite a few recordings.
Ambience. Love it.

Wrapped up a gospel tune not long ago... involved group finger snaps and some creaking and squeaking was captured by the mics. I started to clean it up. Co-producer told me to leave it in. In his mind, it was the sound of the church pews as the choir rose to its feet.

Aural transportation.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I reminds me of when every control room had one of those old black phones that use to ring and get on the recordings every once in a while I still hear them in the background on old recordings.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Click Track Leakage... the Anti-Ambience.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm with the majority: Herman MIller's Aeron is still working great for me after 12 years. Easy to maintain and repair, parts easily available from any HM dealer, and it just looks sexy (having been on the cover of a thousand issues of MIX, it's kind of the official studio chair). We have one for my wife's office, too, both chairs fully loaded.

My son Noah, the computer animator/game producer, went for the Embody chair, also by Herman Miller, and it's the new hotness.

I see that HM has redesigned the Aeron and brought the price down, although they still offer the Aeron "Classic" at the original price. The new one lists at $750 or so, but you can find them for sale all over the place for a price closer to $500.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

+1 Herman Miller Aeron

It's a real nice chair,easy to adjust and holds up well.For me they hold up well enough that I couldn't remember which one I have! I had to look at the order,lol

*note :I bought mine at a chain: Design Within Reach aka DWR,during a sale so it was reasonably priced .They have several sales every year and outlet store on ebay.

http://www.dwr.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Design-Within-Reach-Outlet

:D
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........