Connecting 828MkII TSR to RCA connection

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
StabMe
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Connecting 828MkII TSR to RCA connection

Post by StabMe »

Hey!

When connecting 828 mk2 to an external amp that accepts RCA connectors, what type of jack should be used? Mono jack? Stereo jack? It is not clearly stated in the manual and on the net i am finding conflicting recommendations.

Some say, that (a) when balanced TSR outputs are used, one must connect tip and sleeve of the TSR to the RCA, while leaving the ring in the air. Others say, that (b) one still uses tip as a signal terminal and the use sleeve and ring connected to each other as a ground in the RCA.

Currently, i have all 10 outputs of my 828Mk2 connected to external amps by method B - simply using mono jack on the MOTU side and RCA on the amplifiers side. But i am struggling with the noise problem. Should i switch to method A? Which is the correct way?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Connecting 828MkII TSR to RCA connection

Post by mikehalloran »

What does the manual say? (Page 6 in this case)
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... al_Mac.pdf.

The 828’s line outs are +4 balanced when using a TRS cable. If using TS cables, they are unbalanced but still +4. Readily available TS (Phone) to Phono (RCA) cables are fine as are TS-F to Phono adapters on TS cables.

A Phono in is nearly always -10. You’ll need to adjust the input and the output of the 828 to keep it from overpowering the device you’re connecting to.

Only if the TRS is a stereo out, would you need a summing adapter for the end of a TRS cable. In this case, only the headphone jack is TRS stereo. You can buy a TRS-F to RCA-M adapter from Hosa and others
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Connecting 828MkII TSR to RCA connection

Post by HCMarkus »

Mike is correct... the 828mkII's outputs operate balanced (TRS/XLR) or unbalanced (TS/RCA) without any need for special wiring

As a matter of potentially general interest, connecting outputs in MOTU's new line of AVB interfaces to unbalanced inputs require TRS to TS/RCA leaving the Ring of the TRS plug floating (disconnected).