How Much Time before First Sound?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How Much Time before First Sound?

Post by Rick Cornish »

I kicked out a rough mix yesterday and when I played it back in my car, the front of the first note was *slightly* cut off. Right now, I have :00.07 before first sound. Is there a standard for this? If so, does anyone know what it is? Checking AES now, but thought I'd see what folks here are doing.

Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: How Much Time before First Sound?

Post by mikehalloran »

Audio or VI? How did you create the CD? If not CD, what?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't know if there's a standard. I suppose there must be a difference between mastered commercial CD tracks, and the mastered tracks one gives to clients in the advert and TV world.

For the latter, IME, if they hire you to write a 2:00 or 0:30 piece, they expect a 2:00 or 0:30 piece of music and NOT a 2:00.51 or 0:30.27 one, so any silent "lead in" time would have to be worked out into the total exact duration.

This is especially important for music library and ad gigs. These people require perfect timings without "lead ins/lead outs".
Sometimes some music production houses ask to get a 2 or 8 second head and tail on the pieces, but this is rare now-a-days, unless one turns in stems and not-obvious-to-sync music (i.e., music starts at 00:02.17 in an advert, which is not typical).

I have no idea about commercial CD tracks. They all seem to start immediately to me too. It doesn't seem to me modern CD players have these issues anymore.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Sometimes mp3 files will cut off the front if there isn’t enough silence on the front. I’ve had the issue encoding with QT/Compressor but not with DSP-Quattro using the same source file. Has something to do with encoding in packets or frames or something.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:Audio or VI? How did you create the CD? If not CD, what?
Mike, in this case, I was just BTD some MP3s I could quickly bring into iTunes and sync to my phone.

No CD.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FMiguelez wrote:I don't know if there's a standard. I suppose there must be a difference between mastered commercial CD tracks, and the mastered tracks one gives to clients in the advert and TV world.

For the latter, IME, if they hire you to write a 2:00 or 0:30 piece, they expect a 2:00 or 0:30 piece of music and NOT a 2:00.51 or 0:30.27 one, so any silent "lead in" time would have to be worked out into the total exact duration.

This is especially important for music library and ad gigs. These people require perfect timings without "lead ins/lead outs".
Sometimes some music production houses ask to get a 2 or 8 second head and tail on the pieces, but this is rare now-a-days, unless one turns in stems and not-obvious-to-sync music (i.e., music starts at 00:02.17 in an advert, which is not typical).

I have no idea about commercial CD tracks. They all seem to start immediately to me too. It doesn't seem to me modern CD players have these issues anymore.
I always cut tight to first sound.... certainly tighter than most of the library tracks I’ve encountered. Nevertheless, a few thousandths at the head or tail ought to not be a big deal... especially if playback devices need the time to “wake up" or whatever they have to do to deliver the first sound.
Rick Cornish