Sweetwater's 50 Mic Shootout

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sweetwater's 50 Mic Shootout

Post by mikehalloran »

Valuable information or clever marketing?

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/voca ... ocial-push

You decide.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robert Randolph

Re: Sweetwater's 50 Mic Shootout

Post by Robert Randolph »

Zenpro has an even nicer thing that covers more than mics: http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

Great company too.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I understand shootouts and understand that they can be very helpful, but there is no substitute for auditioning a mic for the particular application. For example, one of my favorite go-to mics for vocals is the AT4050, but every so often it just sounds horrid on a particular voice and I'll have to try something else. The shootouts give you a good sense of what various mics sound like, but don't make the mistake of putting too much faith in them. Just saying'.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

50 MICS??!? I don't think even Rupert Neve could judge that many at once.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Phil O wrote:I understand shootouts and understand that they can be very helpful, but there is no substitute for auditioning a mic for the particular application. For example, one of my favorite go-to mics for vocals is the AT4050, but every so often it just sounds horrid on a particular voice and I'll have to try something else. The shootouts give you a good sense of what various mics sound like, but don't make the mistake of putting too much faith in them. Just saying'.

Phil
I agree, and in my experience the 4050 is a good all-arounder mic. Lately my band has been cutting vocals and doing 'shootouts' after the fact with the Slate virtual mic system, which I am very very happy with. We choose different mic profiles not only per vocalist, but even per song, depending on the song dynamics, vocal range of the part, solo vs stacked/doubled, etc. It's working great and it's fun- "wow, that 800M sounds great!". My wife and bass player/singer is not a techie but she can easily pick out the mic models she likes and dislikes and we almost always agree. It's a fun and efficient way to work vs trying every combo of mic and mic pre like we used to do. We spent a lot of hours doing that in the past and it will drive you a bit batty after a while.

These shootouts can be sort of helpful I guess but I personally find them of limited use. Maybe helpful in narrowing down a purchase I suppose.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

There were 2 or 3 mins that really stood out. Fascinating
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I thought it was interesting. To me it proved that, while having thousand$ will get you a very nice microphone, having a low budget isn't the end of the world.

I would have liked for a few ribbons to have been included, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

There are so few mics on that list that I like, that I didn't find it a very useful shootout compared to the Clip-a-lator at Warren Den's Zen Pro Audio site, or the videos at Sound Pure's site and even the occasional video or audio demos at Alan Moon's Front End Audio site.

Nevertheless, this shootout will benefit a lot of people -- especially those just starting out, and those who have a limited budget.

For those of us who have grown tired of the constant incremental mic upgrade and how expensive that gets, and who just focus on higher-end mics anymore, there's not a lot of interest in that shootout.

More to the point, however, this shootout is strictly for vocal mics. I'd rather see someone finally do an exhaustive shootout of piano mics. Saxes have been done a couple of times by some trusted sources, but long enough ago that a lot of newer mics aren't included. Other acoustic instruments would be nice to hear in shootouts as well, and also stuff like nylon guitar, steel string guitar, upright bass, mandolin, violin/viola/cello.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH