Advice on Lavalier mics

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Advice on Lavalier mics

Post by bayswater »

I haven't used one of these for a long time, and would appreciate advice from anyone who uses them regularly.

I'll be getting a couple for a local club that hosts a lot of lectures to replace an old mic connected to a lecturn. It will go into a small Yamaha mixer, and the audio will sometimes be recorded.

Price will be an issue -- it's a non-profit on a small budget.

What should I look for? Is there a goto standard?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Re: Advice on Lavalier mics

Post by stubbsonic »

So you don't need it to be wireless? If the lectern has an XLR connector-- and then it somehow gets to the yamaha mixer (either close-by or via a long mic cable), then you just a corded condenser lav mic. That makes things easier/cheaper.

First, you'll see some omnidirectional and some cardioid ones. I think the cardioids are probably a better choice for avoiding feedback, but that might not be a huge concern.

Second, please pay attention to the connector. Some corded lav mics are designed to go with wireless packs with specific connector types. Find one that has a standard XLR connector.

If you get a condenser mic, it will need to be powered. Does the yamaha mixer have phantom power? If so, you're all set. If not, you might need either a mic with a battery, or an external box that will provide the phantom power.

Hope this helps.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

It's not cheap, but DPA 4088 headset (cardio) is, by far, the best I've used in years.
Crisp and clean sounding to my ears and not prone to feedback.

But DPA 4065 headset (omni) is even somewhat better, more real sounding, but more sensitive to feedback.

You need an XLR adaptor to connect any of those to your mixer.

These are expensive, but for they are widely used everywhere, you may find a deal on used gear.
I bought a 4088 brand new, and a 4065 second hand. Never looked back for anything else, since.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Wired or wireless, though on TV you often see a lavaliere attached to a tie or blouse just under the chin or a few inches down from that, a better location is to the collar just below the glands between your ear and chin. The sound wraps around the face and propagates/disperses best to that position. That position is less prone to feedback in a sound reinforcement application as well, whether directional or omni.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks for the replies. In retrospect, I'll probably have to suggest to them there is no cheap alternative that will do the job.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

stubbsonic wrote: If you get a condenser mic, it will need to be powered. Does the yamaha mixer have phantom power? If so, you're all set. If not, you might need either a mic with a battery, or an external box that will provide the phantom power.
But be careful here! Many Lav mics are designed to use 1-5V phantom power, so feeding them 48V from a mixing console can fry the thing...

I would recommend omnidirectional as cardoid have to be really pointed at speakers mouth or they'll sound really bad... Which is not always possible/easy when attaching to clothes etc...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

bayswater wrote:[...] I'll probably have to suggest to them there is no cheap alternative that will do the job.
Well, it's all about what's expected from these sessions.
BTW, in my experience, headsets mics give more predictable results than lavalier mics pined on clothes.
If it's only tracking, lavalier may get acceptable results, but if PA system is used, then headset is definitely a better choice.
And in both cases, of course, there is much benefit in giving the speaker some time for a learning curve.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The application is speakers who are given a lecturn, projectors and pointers etc, but some like to act like they're at TED and wander around the room gesticulating. I thought a wired mic with a long thin lead would do the trick, but after more thought, I don't think so. And, as above, I would have thought omni would be the best overall. There will be little control over how and where the mic is attached to the speaker. Just having a mic in the general vicinity of the speaker will be a big improvement.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

If they want to wander around "TED style" then the only recourse is to spend the bucks and get a wireless system. They should get it from a place that has easy returns (like Sweetwater) -- some frequencies work really badly in certain environments, so they may need to try a few setups.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools