Speaker mounting from wall/ceiling?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Speaker mounting from wall/ceiling?

Post by waxman »

I had JBL 4425s back in the day. I loved them. Dave Polich really loved them. They were really heavy and really loud...

You can get plenty of support by anchoring to the wall. Find the studs in the wall with a stud finder. Cut a large enough piece ply wood to span 2 studs. You can make the plywood look nice by staining the same as the JBL cabs or paint the same as wall and it will blend in. You can then buy large Corbels for a shelf or make your own that angles down.. Attach to the anchored plywood on the wall. Or buy one of many various swing arm monitor or tv support devices. You can fashion a shelf that will attach to a swing arm. Just remember the whole thing is only a strong as the connectors. Even if you get a heavy duty swing arm it still needs strong connector. So use lots of long wood screws into the wall studs to anchor plywood. Adding a couple molly's would not hurt. Use a lip on the shelf for security. I would suggest a small wire attached to the speaker in case of quake... a little would putty would repair it so you never see it. Ok that is the DIY wall way of doing it...

If I was doing it I would do a plywood anchor to the ceiling and install omni mounts to the speakers. Just remove the woofer and drill holes and bolt through the JBL cabinet. Here is a link to the omni mounts and some pics of what it looks like. It's the best way imo....

https://www.google.com/search?q=heavy+d ... Yd3-aZM7M:

Looks like this....
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Cool! Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid drilling through the wood (walnut?) cabinets of the 4410s, but it might be unavoidable. And yep... I love the 4410s although probably not the best to mix on as they do tend to make everything sound good. A lot of fun for tracking though! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

K&M wall mounts are that good
https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Speakerlight ... ount-black

Some (modern) JBL speakers have threaded inserts pre-instaled, that just fit to K&M.

+1 with Waxman about large thick plywood panels, set on wall (or ceiling) to attach to.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...