auditioning samples

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
guitarsark
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

auditioning samples

Post by guitarsark »

I downloaded some .wav drum samples and loops and would like to audition them before using them. When I open them, they are played on iTunes, is there a free plugin that can be used with DP so I can open the samples and use them in a DP session without going thru iTunes ? Also, the loops are each at a specific bpm. is there a way to change this ? thank you
DP 7.24
stubbsonic

Re: auditioning samples

Post by stubbsonic »

First, for auditioning samples, you can select a file in Finder, and press the spacebar which will play the sample. Then without hitting the spacebar again, you can press the down-arrow which will play the next sample in the list. Pressing the spacebar will take you out of this special mode.

Second, you can tell the Mac OS what is the default app to open different filetypes. On my system I have changed the defaults for .aif, .aiff, .wav, .mp3, etc. so that rather than opening in iTunes (and adding yet another drum sample to my library!) I have it default to opening them in QuickTime 7 Pro. You can have them open in the current Quicktime Player, but I prefer the older QT7 Pro for a few special functions. You just select a file with the file extension you want to deal with, in your case ".wav" Press COMMAND-i for "get info" and in the section where it says "Open with:" choose whatever app you want to use to open that audio by default. Then also click the "Change All..." button.

Changing the BPM of a loop involves pitch/time adaptation. DP can do this with drum loops using its stretch function. I don't use loops very often, and have my little ways of dealing with this. I think some users convert to Rex in order to change the BPM of sample loops. This puts markers in the loop to help the stretch algorithm preserve transients, etc. There are ways to convert wav loops into rex loops, but that is not a process I understand very well. Also, I don't know how DP handles Rex loops and tempo. I suggest you search the forum for Rex loops.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
guitarsark

Re: auditioning samples

Post by guitarsark »

thank you. very helpful :-)
DP 7.24