Chord Pickout, anyone?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Chord Pickout, anyone?

Post by Gravity Jim »

It's always been easy enough for me to type chord names (or, more often, just print the lead sheet and write them in by hand).

I mean, you know what the chords are, right? So why depend on the computer to figure them out?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:It's always been easy enough for me to type chord names (or, more often, just print the lead sheet and write them in by hand).

I mean, you know what the chords are, right? So why depend on the computer to figure them out?
Only because as easy as it is, it's tedious and should be unnecessary when the chords are already in the MIDI file. Logic 9 did a reasonably good job of this. It doesn't work in X.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Analyzing chords is one of my great pleasures in life. I won't let software take that away from me.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote: Only because as easy as it is, it's tedious and should be unnecessary when the chords are already in the MIDI file.
Again, I don't get it. Do you want to compose, or run a computer? And how can something so damn easy be "tedious?" Like I said above, batching processing of any kind of file is tedious. Installing the OS or downloading 100gbs of data in a series of RAR files is tedious. This, not so much. For me, anyway. I'm not throwing shade at anyone for wanting it. It just seems unnecessary to me.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:
bayswater wrote: Only because as easy as it is, it's tedious and should be unnecessary when the chords are already in the MIDI file.
Again, I don't get it. Do you want to compose, or run a computer? And how can something so damn easy be "tedious?" Like I said above, batching processing of any kind of file is tedious. Installing the OS or downloading 100gbs of data in a series of RAR files is tedious. This, not so much. For me, anyway. I'm not throwing shade at anyone for wanting it. It just seems unnecessary to me.
Consider this situation. The composition is done. Harmonies including bass lines and chords have been created, melodies, lyrics and rhythms have been carefully considered. Chords are in a scratch MIDI track. Tracks have been recorded and everyone is happy with a basic mix. Someone wants some lead sheets with chords. How is it an act of musical creativity to write all the chords out again because the application producing the lead sheets can't interpret them? I'm talking about a situation where composition is finished and chords are composed, and suggesting that an application take those chords and print them out. Just as an application takes the MIDI notes and puts them on the page. Are you suggesting that using a scoring application to print out musical notation is somehow an offence against creativity? Presumably not, so why would using an application to print out chord charts be using computers instead of making music?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8