Free Versions of Professional DAW

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
RecoCham
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Free Versions of Professional DAW

Post by RecoCham »

I have been looking at the 'free' versions of leading DAW lately. I owned a PT 11 and have been working in it for my video production requirement though I am only a 'self learned engineer'. However, I could produce outstanding sound track part with the competition or even better. Studio One especially version 3 is a beautiful piece of software. It is light weight compared to many other competitor product. I like it a lot and in some areas it excels it competitors. Even though I would want to continue keeping Studio One as one of my DAWs, I miss few things which makes me think if I have to bring in S1 as my primary DAW. I am comparing Pro Toots | First and Studio One 3 Prime. Below are the major areas making me think.

Included Instruments and Plugins
Mixing Windows

I have recorded guitar and vocals using a dynamic mic - SM58 and condenser Rode NT1A. Both Pro Tools First and Studio One 3 Prime sounded equally good to my ears. However when I started adding effects, somehow S1 lacked something compared to PT First prima facie. Also when more tracks are added, S1 Prime seem to be bit behind in placing the tracks in its right place compared to PT First.

When it comes to the instruments, PT First has the same Xpand! available which is found in fully paid versions. The quality of instruments and the possibility of tweaking and customizing PT F and Xpand1 is far ahead of S1 Prime and Presence. Individually the many of the instruments sound good but to my ears, comparatively they lag behind the cutting edge pristine quality of Xpand!.

Another thing I struggle is the mixer section compared to PT. Many a times I am lost compared to the ease, clarify flexibility of the mixer section found in PT F. One window concept is good and compact especially when you have limitation of display span. This is my opinion based on the kind of work I do. However, S1 3 Prime, even though it comes free, is good enough for beginners to go forward with their work and later upgrade to S1 pro versions.

When comparing S1 3 Prime and PT F, one things needs to be seriously looked at, in my opinion. Would people prefer S1 3 Prime if PT First remove the restriction on maximum 3 projects? Though I have only pointed out few thing which put S1 ahead of competition, I have no doubt that it is a super piece of software with great functionality, solid performance with minimum to no headaches in small setups like I have.

I am new to Digital Performer. I have several reason why I can use one of the above DAW for my requirement as it is fairly small. Does DP has anything like Pro Tools First or Studio One 3 Prime can offer>
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Post by cleamon »

RecoCham wrote:I have been looking at the 'free' versions of leading DAW lately. I owned a PT 11 and have been working in it for my video production requirement though I am only a 'self learned engineer'. However, I could produce outstanding sound track part with the competition or even better. Studio One especially version 3 is a beautiful piece of software. It is light weight compared to many other competitor product. I like it a lot and in some areas it excels it competitors. Even though I would want to continue keeping Studio One as one of my DAWs, I miss few things which makes me think if I have to bring in S1 as my primary DAW. I am comparing Pro Toots | First and Studio One 3 Prime. Below are the major areas making me think.

Included Instruments and Plugins
Mixing Windows

I have recorded guitar and vocals using a dynamic mic - SM58 and condenser Rode NT1A. Both Pro Tools First and Studio One 3 Prime sounded equally good to my ears. However when I started adding effects, somehow S1 lacked something compared to PT First prima facie. Also when more tracks are added, S1 Prime seem to be bit behind in placing the tracks in its right place compared to PT First.

When it comes to the instruments, PT First has the same Xpand! available which is found in fully paid versions. The quality of instruments and the possibility of tweaking and customizing PT F and Xpand1 is far ahead of S1 Prime and Presence. Individually the many of the instruments sound good but to my ears, comparatively they lag behind the cutting edge pristine quality of Xpand!.

Another thing I struggle is the mixer section compared to PT. Many a times I am lost compared to the ease, clarify flexibility of the mixer section found in PT F. One window concept is good and compact especially when you have limitation of display span. This is my opinion based on the kind of work I do. However, S1 3 Prime, even though it comes free, is good enough for beginners to go forward with their work and later upgrade to S1 pro versions.

When comparing S1 3 Prime and PT F, one things needs to be seriously looked at, in my opinion. Would people prefer S1 3 Prime if PT First remove the restriction on maximum 3 projects? Though I have only pointed out few thing which put S1 ahead of competition, I have no doubt that it is a super piece of software with great functionality, solid performance with minimum to no headaches in small setups like I have.

I am new to Digital Performer. I have several reason why I can use one of the above DAW for my requirement as it is fairly small. Does DP has anything like Pro Tools First or Studio One 3 Prime can offer>
Check out http://motu.com/products/software/audiodesk
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

AudioDesk is free. It does not have the MIDI functionality of DP.

It also requires that you own a MOTU interface.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

... or download the free DP9 trial http://motu.com/download
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU Digital Performer 9 - Competitive Upgrade

Discover a better way to create music with MOTU's Digital Performer 9 DAW software!
To qualify for this reduced price crossgrade, you must be able to provide proof-of-registration for one of the following products:

Acid
AudioDesk*
Audition
Cakewalk
Cubase
Live
Logic
Nuendo
Pro Tools
Reason
SONAR
SoundForge
Soundtrack Pro
Studio One
Tracktion
Vegas
Vision

*The free version of AudioDesk does not have a serial number but the copy bundled with any MOTU hardware interface does.

You may purchase DP from MOTU or your favorite reseller.

If you purchase from a reseller, the package will include an Activation Code sticker in the Quick Start Guide but no serial number. Go online to create a User Account and activate. Use dashes instead of minus signs or the server won't recognize the code.

The serial number is required for tech support and upgrades. To get a serial number, you must submit proof of a qualifying product—after MOTU verifies this, a serial number will be added to your account. The serial number does not change with the version—mine is the same as it was for DP 2.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RecoCham

Post by RecoCham »

mikehalloran wrote:AudioDesk is free. It does not have the MIDI functionality of DP.

It also requires that you own a MOTU interface.
Thanks for the information. Will I be able to use a trial version of Digital Performer without a Motu hardware?

Thanks
Jp

http://www.recordingchamber.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Of course, DP will work fine with any audio interface.
But Motu interfaces will add some nice monitoring-while-tracking features within DP.

edit - Hey what the heck ! This is my 2000th post on this great board ! -
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
RecoCham

Post by RecoCham »

Thanks for all the reply. I will try the free version of DP9. I have also heard a lot from my audio engineer friend about motu hardware as well.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Congrats, Daniel!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

RecoCham wrote:Thanks for all the reply. I will try the free version of DP9. I have also heard a lot from my audio engineer friend about motu hardware as well.
Since AudioDesk is bundled with MOTU interfaces, some resellers will sell DP at the crossgrade price when you purchase the hardware. Sweetwater, a sponsor of this board, is one of them.

If you have questions about the interfaces, best to find a thread discussing the one that interests you or start a new one.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I got the crossgrade price by having Cubase. PT 11 and Studio One might qualify too.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I posted the list earlier in this thread.