Moiving from Canada to Germany? Voltage adapter question

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
terencesharpe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Moiving from Canada to Germany? Voltage adapter question

Post by terencesharpe »

hi,

I just moved from canada to Germany, but am not sure about voltage for running my MOTU 828 mkii

I know I should have it set at 230v for Germany, my question is though can I run that through a canadian power extension bar with my monitors (both from Canada) into a german wall socket, or will the extension bar mess things up?

Can I power the two monitors and MOTU through a canadian extension bar into a german wall socket? Of course using an adapter.

Thanks!
mikehalloran

Re: Moiving from Canada to Germany? Voltage adapter question

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm not sure what you're talking about. If it's a standard hard wired power strip, then the answer is maybe.

If it contains a surge protector, then no. I've had the capacitors in a US power strip blow up when exposed to 230V. It's extremely loud and makes a mess as if a bomb has gone off. When it happened to me onstage at the Istanbul Opera House, I was surrounded by security troops pointing AK-47s at me—fortunately everyone remained calm and waited for the dust cloud to clear.

If it is completely hard wired then yes it will work but I do not recommend it. If you accidentally forget that it is now 230V and plug in something from home you could damage your device.

You can get a proper step-down transformer. Not cheap for a unit with enough Wattage to power everything—the one I used on tour was 1,000W and the wrong one is a potential source of noise. If your monitors will only run 115V, then that's your solution and you would plug in your 828 to the strip @ 115V.

You can get a proper 230V computer cable for your 828 and any other dual Volt device including most Macs.

Plug 230V and 115V into the proper sockets for the devices and you can't screw it up. It's too easy to do so otherwise.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

To keep it simple you can use the same converter and adaptor you use to plug anything from North America into a Germain outlet.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
terencesharpe

Post by terencesharpe »

well upon plugging in I heard I rather distressing noise - so may have to replace some fuses, hopefully that's all

thanks for the info
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Hope you used a converter as well as an adaptor, or you might have fried it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I feel for you, if you fried some gear.
I must say I've seen this happen many times on stage in France, and it's a pita...

IMHO, it's no good idea to rely on local fitting. You can't know for sure what may be provided.
Moving to Europe, you really need to bring your own complete setup, set to 220 volts. I mean, converters and adaptors included.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can get a proper step-down transformer. Not cheap for a unit with enough Wattage to power everything—the one I used on tour was 1,000W and the wrong one is a potential source of noise.
The inexpensive voltage converters that are sold to travelers will not work. Many of them are simple resistive units and not even transformers. You need a properly regulated step-down transformer.

If you're in Westphalia, the transformer I used for touring may be for sale. I've heard it's been sitting in storage since the last time I toured and no one has a use for it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
terencesharpe

Post by terencesharpe »

Ok I'm back here to ask a few questions, hopefully I can get some good information before proceeding, I really can't face having fried the MOTU.

Ok so originally was I did was use the cables I had used in Canada through a Canadian power pack like you see here. Image

I then use an adapter [standard thing, no converters, I know that was bad now] and went straight into the wall socket.

Now I've bitten the bullet, I'm going to just buy kettle leads here. But I have some fuses to replace I think. So..for my MOTU828 mii I should be buying a 500mA? and the unit should be set to 230v? where do I replace the fuse on the unit? Also in case I have 'fried' it as people have said, where can I go from here?

Also, and I know its not MOTU, but I have a pair of Focal alpha 50 monitors, and I'm pretty sure the fuses are bust, because when I turn it on it starts but then switches off straight away. Now I bought these monitors in Canada [the MOTU I bought in the UK years ago] - so should I put different fuses in the back of the Focals? They have currently T1AL/250V x 2 in the back where the plug goes, but as I'm in Germany I should fuse T500mAL/250V correct?
terencesharpe

Post by terencesharpe »

I cant even get the console open, the top screws come off but at the front of the display by the on/off switch on the right and the mic inputs on the left, the screws are the strangest thing i've seen, their not philips, not flat, not robertson, some kind of hex key?