multiple speaker options

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
guitarsark
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

multiple speaker options

Post by guitarsark »

I am currently running DP7 (about to upgrade to 9 tho as I love the demo) in my small home studio. I use an Apogee Duet Interface and KRK Monitors. I would like to add additional speakers/monitors to my set up. Can I run them from the Duet or do I need to buy a mixer ? additional speakers may or may not be powered. thank you !
DP 7.24
mikehalloran

Re: multiple speaker options

Post by mikehalloran »

You will need a monitor controller/switcher.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Monitor_Management/pn1

The Mackie Big Knob and Presonus are quite popular. I have a Radial MC-3 and my daughter uses one of the new Behringer units.

Yours needs to incorporate a switcher (some don't). The TC Level Pilot won't work for you.

One feature to look for is the ability to temporarily sum to mono. Most of us won't buy one that can't.

I like one that can take the subwoofer out of the mix for comparison.

Passive vs Active is tricky. There are advantages to both designs. I went with a passive unit—some systems don't have enough gain to handle the level drop and need an active system.

In the case of powered v unpowered, it doesn't matter. You are controlling the audio inputs either to the powered mains or amp in the case of unpowered speakers.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
guitarsark

Post by guitarsark »

thanks Mike !
DP 7.24
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Mike is correct (as always!). Also, if you were to upgrade to an Apogee Quartet, you could run up to three sets of monitors from your interface (including summing to mono).
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Quartet
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net