Summing monitor mixer recos?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Summing monitor mixer recos?

Post by dix »

I've been using my old Mackie 8Bus 32x8 mixer to monitor since the olden days when I actually used all it's tracking capability. Nowadays I just use it to monitor a few channels coming from DP. No longer do I need it's mixing functions (auxs, returns, eps etc). It works well enough, but it takes up a lot of room and consumes a lot of power. Plus the knobs and faders are slowly deteriorating (haven't had a working Mono button in years). So I'm looking for a modern option. I'm wondering what others are using.

There's a ton of options out there, but I don't see anything that will give me the flexibility of my ancient mixer. Most (all?) the rack mount or desktop solutions only offer one assignable fader - my workflow currently uses 5 to 8 depending. I also need surround capabilities. Most monitor summing mixers are designed for stereo mixing.

Ideally I'd like a barebones 8x8 mixer with (8) faders and a headphone bus, but I can't seem to find any. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mikehalloran

Re: Summing monitor mixer recos?

Post by mikehalloran »

I'd be looking at a Used Mackie 1402 if you want sliders or a 1202 if rotary pots are ok. Don't worry about the version since you won't be using the mic pres.

As for your non-functioning mono switch, I have yet to meet the Mackie mixer that I couldn't bring back to life by taking it apart and burnishing. Remove and reconnect each of the internal connectors three times.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks Mike, but the 1402 won't work for surround mixing.

Unfortunately no one really makes 8 bus mixers for home studios anymore. Since no one really uses recorders anymore I guess there's not much of a demand. I'm basically using the 8 tape busses to send audio to my powered surround speakers.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I am using six of the outputs from my MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid out to my speakers, and use a MIDI slider-box (an old Peavey 1600x) or the sliders on my keyboard controllers to run the mixing stuff in software. The 828 and its built-in Cuemix software can also be controlled via a tablet through its TouchOSC interface. (You could get 6 outputs for 5.1 or eight for 7.1 even from an Ultralite mk3 [or mk4] hybrid unit.) These items appear on the used market quite often.

I typically just use the MIDI sliderbox in Digital Performer for regular mixing or the joystick on my Korg Wavestation keyboard for surround stuff.

Mike, thanks for mentioning burnishing - I have a Mackie line mixer that likely just needs that and perhaps a little DeOxit to bring it back to serviceability. A few hours work that would eventually be worth it, I'll bet!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks Terry. Going mixerless is a last resort for me. I tried it before and too many things can go wrong compared to an analog mixer. Plus setting up headphone mixes for tracking was cumbersome. However, there are some more options on the market since I tried it - e.g. the FaderPort 8 - so I might consider it again at some point.

There's soo many mixers out there. I can't help but to think I've simply not found the right one.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Although most of my work is in stereo, I too use an 828 (mkII) with individual outputs (from optical expander) fed from surround buses in DP. My surround setup is built around an AV receiver with which I control master volume.

Granted setting up monitor mixes is more of a pain, but I have that handled with a multi-channel headphone amp, where the main mix goes to all, and I can increase volume on select tracks to performer's taste via the aux input on each headphone amp wired from an individual output for the 828.
waxman

Post by waxman »

What you seem to want is a good way to do the input and monitor management.

I have joined the cult of virtual. I'm bailing on hardware whenever and wherever possible. I use the Raven as the traditional mixer section of a large format console with patchbay to setups, VI's, Hardware Synths etc. all on Batch Command buttons. For the INPUT section the UAD mixer which has multiple assignable channel routing controls Apollo 16's and a Twin that could be thought of as an the input mixer section of an inline board or even as a permanent sidecar. It has ADAT inputs for additional I/O and Virtual tracks that can be set up for VI's. The UAD also has 4 stereo Cuemix and 2 Auxes for FX. It all works with the touchscreen. So everything ends up being in a 27 inch space right at your finger tips. It very much a touchy, feely, hardware vibe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJwv2S ... ersalAudio

Hardware:
I use a 2 rack space Neve 8816 for summing, speaker control and it has a cue mix option. I think of it as the master section of a traditional console and studio monitor management for speakers etc. For headphone boxes I use as many PreSonus headphone boxes as needed depending on number of players. I prefer separate components. As you said the Mackie is breaking down, mono button, knobs, sliders etc. All hardware ends up dying unless it goes to rehab.

You already have the outputs you need from the A/D MOTU gear. I have an Motu Ultralite I use for the VI's guitar set up. I could do most of what I am doing on the Ultra lite. I have not used cue mix in years but I remember it as being pretty robust.

I recommend you start with the Raven. Use the Batch command to automate your set ups. Get rid of all the hardware possible. Some separate headphone amps and a speaker management... by the way you can speaker manage from an Apollo Twin and ADAT in's from your MOTU A/D.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dix

Post by dix »

That sounds like great setup waxman! Thanks for the info. It's given me much to consider.

I'd honestly never thought about a Raven until now. When it first came out it just looked like expenesive, future e-waste to me, but, per your suggestion I checked it out again. It's come a long way and gotten much cheaper since it was introduced and well worth considering to be sure. However, I don't think I'm ready to rethink my setup at this point. I really just want a sensible modern mixer.

Thanks again. It's great to get peaks into other's setups. ...who knows you may have planted a seed from which a Raven will grow.
waxman

Post by waxman »

dix wrote:That sounds like great setup waxman! Thanks for the info. It's given me much to consider.

I'd honestly never thought about a Raven until now. When it first came out it just looked like expenesive, future e-waste to me, but, per your suggestion I checked it out again. It's come a long way and gotten much cheaper since it was introduced and well worth considering to be sure. However, I don't think I'm ready to rethink my setup at this point. I really just want a sensible modern mixer.

Thanks again. It's great to get peaks into other's setups. ...who knows you may have planted a seed from which a Raven will grow.
If you want hardware a good step would be a used PreSonus ai but you will need different mic pre's. The pre's on PreSonus boards are noisy and sound squeezed. But the PreSonus with their mixer software and their monitor options from iPhone and iPad is pretty nice workflow.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How many inputs do you need?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

8 inputs max.

The PreSonus AI looks pretty cool. I could probably create a 5.1 mix setup with it, but it has so many features that I don't want or need. Allen & Heath have a 14:4:2 mixer that's a little more basic that looks closer to what I need. ...though I'm sorted with outboard mic pres, I'm guessing the A&H pres would be more usable than PreSonus's.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Look for a used Shure AuxPander or a Midas XL 88. Both are long discontinued—as is everything else—but show up now and then.

There are a number of kits and DIY instructions on the internet also.

I don't believe that anyone makes an 8x8 analog line mixer anymore.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
dix

Post by dix »

philbrown wrote:This is on ebay as of 10/16/16 AM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3914677481 ... noapp=true
Interesting. There's a version with faders too. It's a live mixing board so I'm not sure it'd be clean enough for studio monitoring. Wish I know more about specs. I'm going to look into it further.

Thanks for the tip Phil! ...it's in production so no need for me to jump on this ebay listing.
dix

Post by dix »

Someone on Gearslutz suggested this Toft 8 bus mixer. It's twice what I can afford and total overkill, but it looks like a beautiful piece of gear. ...makes me think there may be others out there still.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATB08