Hum on Steel Guitar Tracks

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by buzzsmith »

Hi, all.

I have a project that I'm working on with some consistent 60 Hz hum (and, of course, the overtones) throughout the steel guitar tracks.

I've pretty much got it under control using these 2 EQs...

...and deleting audio where the steel is inactive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Re: Hum on Steel Guitar Tracks

Post by HCMarkus »

Buzz, as I'm sure you know, EQ only works perfectly when the fundamental is higher in pitch than the hum and audible artifacts.

Izotope RX or other software that does noise reduction can remove steady state noise without seriously changing the timbral characteristics of the desired instrument. I don't use RX very often, but when it is needed, it makes a world of difference. Especially useful on guitars when hum, buzz or hiss comes flying out of an amp.

The Izotope spectral repair modules is also very handy, and has saved the day for me on a number of occasions.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Isotope has RX 5 on sale right now. In addition, they have four of the RX plugins bundled at a lower price—if you only have a need for Dehum and Denoise, this may be ideal. Sometimes the resellers have that discounted even further.

The nice thing about Dehum is that you can select which of the harmonics you want removed and to what degree. Also lets you select 50Hz if you're in a country that doesn't use 60Hz line frequency.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

+1 on RX, but in case you are not purchasing any software:

The thing that's good about 60Hz is it's consistency. I've used this technique with varying success, but when it works, it works well. (I've also used it in combination with RX.)

You need to find a section where there is noise-only and copy a section of it. You then need to trim that section to a sample accurate exact multiple of 1/60 (i.e., one cycle), preferably at zero crossings. If you have 3 or 4 seconds of noise-only, great. Use copy and paste-multiple to create a noise track. Merge if you like. Invert the noise track and mix with the steel guitar track. You may need to synchronize (use nudge) your noise track with the guitar track, but once you get it locked in it will stay there because 60Hz is so stable. Adjust the level of the noise track for best cancellation. The level of the noise may vary on the guitar track and of course with it the cancellation will not be perfect, but the result will be so much lower than what you started with that the EQ you apply will now be much more effective. It sounds like a lot of work, but actually it can be done in a couple of minutes. Worth a try.

For obvious reasons this won't work with many noise sources but works quite well for 60Hz noise if the noise level is pretty consistent throughout the track.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Phil O wrote:+1 on RX, but in case you are not purchasing any software:

The thing that's good about 60Hz is it's consistency. I've used this technique with varying success, but when it works, it works well. (I've also used it in combination with RX.)

You need to find a section where there is noise-only and copy a section of it. You then need to trim that section to a sample accurate exact multiple of 1/60 (i.e., one cycle), preferably at zero crossings. If you have 3 or 4 seconds of noise-only, great. Use copy and paste-multiple to create a noise track. Merge if you like. Invert the noise track and mix with the steel guitar track. You may need to synchronize (use nudge) your noise track with the guitar track, but once you get it locked in it will stay there because 60Hz is so stable. Adjust the level of the noise track for best cancellation. The level of the noise may vary on the guitar track and of course with it the cancellation will not be perfect, but the result will be so much lower than what you started with that the EQ you apply will now be much more effective. It sounds like a lot of work, but actually it can be done in a couple of minutes. Worth a try.

For obvious reasons this won't work with many noise sources but works quite well for 60Hz noise if the noise level is pretty consistent throughout the track.

Phil
Thanks. I've done a little bit of this in the past. The issue with the steel is that they use a volume pedal a lot!

So, when he backs off the pedal the steel signal and the hum drop. Conversely, when he plays louder, the steel and hum rise accordingly.

Trying to match a phase inverted hum track to the volume variances to attempt to approach null would, it seems, be difficult!

I'll check into the iZotope plugins, too.

Appreciate it!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

+1 on iZotope RX.
Saved many tracks with it.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Thanks, all. I had the demos of the iZotope plugs, but the evaluation time ran out prior to this project. As mentioned, I'll revisit.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

While Denoise can learn the hum and remove it, that swell pedal gets in the way — same as phase inversion as you have already noticed.

Dehum, OTOH, is a line and harmonics filter. The trick to fine tuning it in real time is to have it the first effect in the chain and the only GUI showing. Once you have it where you like, close the GUI and forget about it.

Izotope's RX Plugin Pack is $87.99 from AudioDeluxe using the coupon code SEPTSAVE.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/izotope ... %ADin-pack

They have the full version of RX 5 for $213.99 using the same code.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/izotope ... dio-editor

I am often successful in getting Sweetwater to match by emailing my rep a screen shot of my Shopping Cart at AD..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

mikehalloran wrote:While Denoise can learn the hum and remove it, that swell pedal gets in the way — same as phase inversion as you have already noticed.

Dehum, OTOH, is a line and harmonics filter. The trick to fine tuning it in real time is to have it the first effect in the chain and the only GUI showing. Once you have it where you like, close the GUI and forget about it.

Izotope's RX Plugin Pack is $87.99 from AudioDeluxe using the coupon code SEPTSAVE.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/izotope ... %ADin-pack

They have the full version of RX 5 for $213.99 using the same code.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/izotope ... dio-editor

I am often successful in getting Sweetwater to match by emailing my rep a screen shot of my Shopping Cart at AD..
Probably do that tomorrow as I have another steel session coming up next week. And with those double neck pickups and some kind of weird, and seemingly untraceable, RMF it will most likely be of value.

Grazie,

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)