Where does everyone put their ext hd's?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Nibiru
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Where does everyone put their ext hd's?

Post by Nibiru »

Hey all!

Trying to get ideas for a better solution to house all my external G-Tech drives. Currently I'm using this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 40a638.jpg

It has a shelf inside and a hole in the back to run cables trough. I use the top part of the shelf to put the hd's, and underneath is where all the power supplies go. I have 9 hd's, 4 of which are usually always spinning, and causing an annoying amount of vibration/hum as it resonates the IKEA box. I've tried putting foam underneath the drives, which works for a little while, then for some reason over time, the hum returns. Not to mention the heat buildup. I bought this box to hide the noise of the drives spinning, and in essence traded the drive noise for hum. In addition, I have newer and older G-Tech drives, and the older ones don't get nearly as hot as the newer models do.

So my question is as stated in the title...what are all of you doing for external hd organization and noise/heat management?

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
stratology

Re: Where does everyone put their ext hd's?

Post by stratology »

Nibiru wrote:I have 9 hd's, 4 of which are usually always spinning, and causing an annoying amount of vibration/hum as it resonates the IKEA box. I've tried putting foam underneath the drives, which works for a little while, then for some reason over time, the hum returns.
I use cardboard pizza boxes to decouple my studio monitors, a trick I read on a site for room treatment for recording studios years ago. This may work for drives as well.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Absent a machine room, the best solution is likely to move OS, Project and VI Sample files to SSDs. Use spinners for backups only.

You may be able to get by with only one or two SSDs while you work; depends on how many VIs you run. Because they are so speedy, one SSD may be able to do the work of a number of spinners. Samsung 850 EVO drives are current kings of the budget yet high performance SSD hill.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I would never enclose a mechanical drive in a box that doesn't have a fan—ever.

Instead, my spinners sit in exposed docks so that the air can circulate freely. There are many brands and configurations. USB 2 / eSATA can be had from $15 up. There are FW, USB 3, TB and any combination you like.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... iMA_bopZgF
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Actually, after debating this a few years ago, I switched to internal drives for my external backups and use Newer Technology's drive storage trays, which are easily stackable. I connect them via eSATA using the Newer Technologies toaster oven styled "temporary host".

Not only is this more flexible, and saves money, but it makes for much quicker changes when upgrading internal discs as the old ones simply become the new backups.

When I was still using external drives though, I preferred Glyph Technologies and their rack-mount solutions, but those are quite expensive. I think I've seen similar solutions for "general" drives though at OWC's site.

Of course, it's a different story if you need your external drives for everyday use as opposed to strictly for backups. Such was the case when I had an iMac years ago. I chose the Glyph enclosures especially due to cooling issues, as my home studio gets super-hot due to being so tiny. The heat has nowhere to go. :-) Like I said though, when looking recently, I saw a few impressive solutions from OWC.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I only have one internal drive in my trash can (1TB SSD). All my other drives are either in a CalDigit enclosure (2TB each) or a dock (one USB3 and one TB - each holds two drives for a total of another 12TB). The CalDigit enclosures are super quiet and don't have the annoying flashing lights the G-TEch drives have. I rejected those drives based solely on the light, but I do recall they were noisy bastards.

Perhaps, rather than trying to hide the noise of the drives (usually it's the fan that really noisy) you might consider better and quieter enclosures. Switching out spinners is one of the easiest things you can do.

YMMV :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

Thank you all for these fantastic suggestions. I really appreciate all of your input. I never close the door on while the drives are on, but now I'm really considering using SSD's. They're almost affordable for me now and would love no added heat and silence, and speed too. In the meantime, I will try out the cardboard suggestion.

Thank you everyone!
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
MIDI Life Crisis

Well dang, if you can snag the SSDs we got nothin' to talk 'bout! ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well dang, if you can snag the SSDs we got nothin' to talk 'bout! ;)
Ha! Well the SSD's won't happen for a little while. In the meantime, which CalDigit enclosure do you have? Is there a fan? That's the main reason why I went with G-Tech years ago, no noisy fans, but the spinners are a tad noisy, hence me putting them in a box w/door open. I would love an enclosure where I can have my projects drive, my sound library drive, and my time machine back up all in one enclosure. Why did you go with CalDigit?

Thanks for your time MLC!
MIDI Life Crisis

Silver boxes that match the Mac Pro cheese grater perfectly. I got them with smaller drives and updated them. OWC sold them.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

I switched to internal drives for my external backups and use Newer Technology's drive storage trays, which are easily stackable. I connect them via eSATA using the Newer Technologies toaster oven styled "temporary host".
This sounds like a good idea, mhschmieder. What's the "Newer Tech toaster oven temporary host" you're referring to? Are you talking about this? http://www.newertech.com/products/gmaxmini.php Thx
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com