Replacement tweeter for old JBL 4410

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Replacement tweeter for old JBL 4410

Post by James Steele »

Was in my studio now and just discovered I have a tweeter that's not functioning on one my old JBL 4410 3-way monitors. I'm going to open it up and HOPE it's a loose wire or something, but if it turns out I'm not so lucky, can anybody recommend a reliable vendor for replacement tweeters. I've seen some stuff on eBay and since these monitors are so old I don't think JBL makes parts, so wondering where I might get *quality* copies that will match well enough with my other one? Thanks! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Re: Replacement tweeter for old JBL 4410

Post by Phil O »

There's a bunch 'o stuff here, if you're not looking for JBL exact replacements. I don't know about the brands they carry.

http://www.parts-express.com/

Look under speaker components. A lot of the JBL stuff is still available, but very expensive. I replaced some JBL tweeters with something I found here, but it was on some old speakers that I just wanted to "get working" and I wasn't too fussy about.

On the other hand, if you are being fussy, you probably want to bite the bullet and get genuine JBL replacements.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/jbl-speak ... ragms.html

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/replaceme ... eters.html
Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for the simply speakers link. Actually that's what came up on my first Google search. This is what I need possibly. $80. Sigh.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/replaceme ... 35tia.html

I'm just glad actually I discovered this. It wasn't super obvious to me at first until I panned a shaker sound from left to right in a mix and said "Hey... wait a minute!" I thought my left speaker was louder and thought my hearing was getting bad in my right ear! LOL Now I know.

Well, I'm going to open these up and hope to gosh it's just a wire that came lose or something easy. Thanks Phil!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

Six years ago I replaced the foam rings around the tweeters in my JBL 4311 Studio Monitors and found the least expensive place to get them was directly from JBL, now owned by Harmon:
http://www.jblproservice.com/parts.html

I got two sets for $6.00, which was less than half the cost of one set from every other place that offered them. I have no idea if they'll have the tweeters but it's worth a shot. Good luck.
Ron
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you get inside a JBL speaker, you need to know that white = hot/positive and red = neutral/negative.

To my knowledge, this backwards polarity standard is unique to JBL. No knowing this will cause phase issues.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:If you get inside a JBL speaker, you need to know that white = hot/positive and red = neutral/negative.

To my knowledge, this backwards polarity standard is unique to JBL. No knowing this will cause phase issues.
Thanks, Mike. These are older "vintage" JBLs. The tweeters had two wires going to them (naturally). One was yellow and the other was yellow with a spiraling black stripe which connects to the positive terminal which was clearly marked. The tweeter was definitely bad as swapping with the one from my "good monitor" confirmed. I ordered the $79 replacement at the link earlier. Hey... it was "on sale."

Oh well... these speakers were given to me by a friend whom I helped move and I've already replaced the foam rings on the woofers. I love the sound of them, so I'll do what I need to to keep these in service! :)

Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

I'm assuming that you used one of those kits when replacing the foam rings on the woofer....where did you get your replacement kit James?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Martini Hill wrote:I'm assuming that you used one of those kits when replacing the foam rings on the woofer....where did you get your replacement kit James?
I got it through Orange County Speaker here in California. It was something of an institution.

https://www.speakerrepair.com/

Apparently, as you can see on that link, it's gone and the speaker repair business is taken over by a former employee. When I went by the employee's new site I couldn't find the ring kits but you could call them.

http://www.speakerrepairpros.com/

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Oh cool! Thanx guys! Jeff

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Glad to hear you found what you needed, James. Sorry to hear what it costs. :?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Phil O wrote:Glad to hear you found what you needed, James. Sorry to hear what it costs. :?
Thanks Phil. Well I'm just happy that I could still find a source for these. And like I said, they were a gift, so I don't have much money sunk into them since I've owned them. $30 for a re-edge kit, and now $80 for a new tweeter, so I'm still out ahead on the deal. :)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

New tweeter arrived today. "Made in China". Dead on arrival. SimplySpeakers.com is in Florida and they're closed now. Sigh. Awaiting instructions as far as returns.

rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I know a guy I'll make a call tomorrow. I should be able to get you a real JBL part.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rickorick wrote:I know a guy I'll make a call tomorrow. I should be able to get you a real JBL part.
Seriously? I have to see what the return policy is. I'm sure they'll offer to send me another and if I refuse not sure it will be easy getting my money back. I really wouldn't care where it was from as long as it worked. This is what I ordered:

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/replaceme ... 35tia.html

Interestingly, you have to change the connectors on the wires as it's a spade/lug type connector but the positive/negative connectors on the replacement tweeter are opposite genders of what they are on the original.