A virtual reality 'music sandbox'

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A virtual reality 'music sandbox'

Post by BKK-OZ »

Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Re: A virtual reality 'music sandbox'

Post by bayswater »

The result of a generation of engineers who grew up watching Star Trek. I like it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's pretty cool. At first I wondered if it was kind of "demoscene".

Slightly off-topic, but I've been wracking my brain trying to remember a software package that came out a few years ago that has a virtual 3-D GUI where you kind of "fly" around this environment setting up modules and the graphics show this lines flowing through space with LFO's spiraling around (showing X/Y movement along a timeline). It was mesmerizing. Can't remember what it was called.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Found it. It was called AudioGL. No updates in 3 years, so perhaps its abandonware, perhaps it is just what it is.

https://www.audiogl.com/en/downloads

Here's a vid. If you want to skip the programming stuff, jump to 10:55 and just see the thing go. It's still pretty stunning. But, yea, still a little off-topic. Sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCC9uHHAEuA
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

stubbsonic wrote:Found it. It was called AudioGL. No updates in 3 years, so perhaps its abandonware, perhaps it is just what it is.
Yes, it's definitely abandonware. I've scoured the web for a while, only to find pissed off Mac users who apparently bought a non-existent product to rumors of the developer's possible demise (someone is still maintaining the domain, so go figure). I just don't understand why products like these aren't released in the public domain. I guess that's one for the lawyers.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If it was released into the public domain, or if a group of developers took it on; and made it donation-ware, I would imagine folks who relate to that type of environment would have been excited to support it. I don't remember if this was ever put up as a kickstarter. IIRC, the developer did say that if he didn't get enough interest, he wouldn't be able to sustain the project. Still, the Mac users should have gotten a refund.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I dug into the AudioGL forums and found the last developer post from April 2014, saying he was nearly finished with the Mac OS port. Looks like a windows release is there but I don't know what kind of state it is in.

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:The result of a generation of engineers who grew up watching Star Trek. I like it.
Kinda like Star Wars meets Tron meets Minority Report.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

BKK-OZ wrote:
bayswater wrote:The result of a generation of engineers who grew up watching Star Trek. I like it.
Kinda like Star Wars meets Tron meets Minority Report.
I had the Holodeck in mind.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:I had the Holodeck in mind.
Yep.

Meet you in Holodeck 2 in 15 mins.
Don't tell Data, can't stand that guy.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku