My new sampled orchestra

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My new sampled orchestra

Post by Gravity Jim »

The game work I do is getting more demanding all the time, and while I rigged some really cheap ways of making my half-baked orchestral samples sound fairly good, I'm beginning work on a huge sword-n-sorcery title that is guaranteed to be a monster hit (it's the first sequel to a monster hit from a few years back, one that guys in the gaming forums are still asking for after all this time).

So I bought LASS, CineWinds Core, CineBrass Core, and CinePerc. None of them were as difficult to learn as I expected them to be, and they got put to an interesting test this week.

The first thing the dev asked me to work on was a re-orchestration of the original game's main theme, a piece so popular with players that I used to get e-mail from around the world asking for an MP3. Creating this asset would let me hear a direct comparison between the old orchestral samples and these new ones, on a piece of music I know really well.

The result? I'm embarrassed by the old tracks. These samples are the bomb, the chronic. When Lisa heard the new piece, she actually gasped and said, "Oh my god!"

When I was doing corporate shows and jingles most of the time, I really couldn't justify spending the bucks on super-nice orchestral stuff, but this next game will open more doors and I want the devs to be knocked out. These oughta do it!

PS: Cinesamples Customer Service is the rocking best. I'll tell the world.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Killahurts

Re: My new sampled orchestra

Post by Killahurts »

Congratulations Jim! Not only for your excellent choices of libraries, but for all the success you're having with your music.. love to hear stories like these.

LASS and Cinebrass are the staples for my rig. I also got the LASS Sordino (muted) strings just a few months ago, really has that dramatic "film score" sound.

I don't have everything Cinesamples makes but I wish I did. Their sounds are so extremely usable, without a lot of fussing. The two Mikes there are working composers themselves, so all their tools are designed around giving speed and power to the composer. Love that company..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've just added those to my WISH LIST. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm curious why you chose LASS (the demos of which sound amazing!) over CineStrings? Is there some general sonic reason? Or some specific features you needed?

Thanks.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I love CIneSamples, and would've bought everything from there, but TV composer and MOTUNationer Craig Marks steered me toward LASS for strings.

Craig said LASS was the most versatile string library, and he was right. In my search I heard a bunch of libraries that wouldn't be good for anything but over-the-top superhero-trailer craziness. CineStrings sounds great and is certainly more usable than something like one of the 8Dio libraries, but I had to give the win to LASS: the articulations are impeccable. I can use these strings in an orchestra, behind a Motown pop ballad, solo in small group chamber music, and it sounds awesome. I may end up adding a more "epic" library down the road, but for almost everything I do, LASS is just more versatile.

Also, the 2.5 version gets rid of a lot of what I'd read as complaints about LASS. A lot of people said, "oh, it's too harsh, too sterile, too dry" etc. The current version features multiple mic positions within the room and a mixer for those mics. I can use them close-mic'ed only and add ambience by way of reverb or a plug like UA's Ocean View Studio, or dial up the sound of the room they were recorded in.

And that's just barely scratching the surface of the improvements in 2.5. New samples, new patches, new controls, blah blah blah. You can so precisely dial in what you're looking for, and in very little time. The list of articulation and patch-morphing controls would take a website to describe. The integrated ARC software gives you truly insane control over instrument response.

Finally, when I was shopping, LASS 2.5 was on sale for $799, so, there was that, too. (I just checked, and it still is, down from the usual 1,399USD.)

Anyway, I love anything that cause my wife to pause at the studio door and say, "Holy cow! That sounds amazing!!"
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I appreciate your taking the time to give me those details, Jim. That's very helpful.

Those will have to go on a longer term list, and I will have to keep track of when those go on sale again. In the meantime, I'll need to start saving up, (and selling some $#!+)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

stubbsonic, you will not regret it. I've spent the day arranging with the new samples and really getting deep in CinePerc, which is insane. Finally having samples this good is completely changing my approach to the orchestra.
Jim Bordner

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Gravity Jim wrote:stubbsonic, you will not regret it. I've spent the day arranging with the new samples and really getting deep in CinePerc, which is insane. Finally having samples this good is completely changing my approach to the orchestra.
Jim,

Would love to hear an a/b comparison sometime if it isn't too much trouble. Good luck with your project!!

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

Good choices.... I have LASS and love it... what brass and woods were you using before cinesamples??
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

crescentoon55 wrote:Good choices.... I have LASS and love it... what brass and woods were you using before cinesamples??
Some real junk. The VSL samples that came with Komplete.

Nk_e, I'll post a couple links in the next few days.
Jim Bordner