switching between TWO input signals into ONE set of monitors

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
proton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

switching between TWO input signals into ONE set of monitors

Post by proton »

seeking simple solution for switching between TWO input signals into ONE pair of powered genelec studio monitors (other than yanking cables).

the two signal sources are:
• yamaha mixer w/balanced 1/4” trs monitor outs
• focusrite interface also w/balanced 1/4” trs monitor outs

have a dbx PB-48 patchbay, but don’t want to risk damage to any components.

thanks—
mikehalloran

Re: switching between TWO input signals into ONE set of moni

Post by mikehalloran »

Go to the advanced search on these boards and type monitor controller. You will see a number of threads and recommendations on the subject. Go to Sweetwater.com and type in the same two words for three pages of hardware. Many units will not work for you for various reasons but 20 or so will.

The active Mackie Big Knob is the industry standard handling up to 4 input sources. Lots of PreSonus fans on these boards, too.

The $99 Behringer Xenix is priced right and will work but it took up way too much desk space for me and I returned the one I bought in favor of the passive Radial MC3 (1 input only—won't work for you). I've no experience with the much smaller $99 Samson.

One nice feature of any monitor controller that will do the job is a mono switch. It lets you hear your mix in mono without having to touch your DAW or interface. If you have phase problems, you'll know it in a second. Most also have a dim switch that knocks everything down -20dB—can come in handy.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I have this one...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CentralStPl

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

proton

Post by proton »

thanks, guys for the suggestions.

in my range (@100, simple & solid build), i found:

Coleman LS3
Hosa SLW-333

the Xenyx Control1 seems popular, sold out everywhere (maybe being updated?). other than being oversized, how’d you like the sound/build?
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

proton wrote:thanks, guys for the suggestions.

in my range (@100, simple & solid build), i found:

Coleman LS3
Hosa SLW-333

the Xenyx Control1 seems popular, sold out everywhere (maybe being updated?). other than being oversized, how’d you like the sound/build?

I have the Coleman LS3. It is perfect for what you want because it's passive and will not change the sound in any way. Plus, because it is passive, you can use it in either direction. I have it taking input from my console and splitting into 3 outputs- the main monitors (ADAM S3A), the sub, and a second set of ADAM monitors. I was surprised and impressed with how transparent it is.. my biggest fear when I got it was that I might "hear" it. There are no volume drops or surges when the 3 inputs/outputs are switch on/off.

I love this little box and would recommend it to anyone who needs to split a stereo line level signal! The guys at Sweetwater told me that Glen Coleman and and his team still build these products by hand.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

proton wrote: Coleman LS3
Hosa SLW-333

The Coleman and Hosa are simple switches. What I don't like about them is that you control your speaker volume from your DAW — or, in this case, two. Of the two, I would go with the Hosa if only using two input sources—simple A/B.

I like having a monitor controller and adjusting the room volume with a knob on my desk, punching a switch to hear it in mono or to knock it down -20dB if the phone rings.

The Xenix was ok, I had another Behringer (MiniMON 800) before it. These were much higher priced when introduced around Christmas. I wanted to like it but it was just too big so I gave it to my daughter who likes it a lot.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

IIRC, you're a Big Knob guy, aren't you, Mike? :lol:

Just trying to keep vaguely in touch with these new-fangled monitor-controller thingies in case I need one one day. For now, the Mackie Onyx 1620 (no digital expansion fitted) serves as monitor-level controller (from control-room feed), a mixer for a few CueMix subs (MIDI, MIDI percussion and DP's main output), and as my latency-free monitoring desk for instruments and MIDI outboard.

Not sure if I'll ever be able to live without this thing or an equivalent "hub", but one never knows. Tough to imagine how it would all come together using only a Big Knob, for instance, but until I run more than one set of monitors (if ever), it seems (in theory, as it's been for a long time in the MonkeyLabs™ Studio) to offer everything I need for now. Hoping the switch to AVB won't affect the modus operandi in any way...

Thinking out 'loud in case I'm missing something important... like a Big Knob. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I realize the OP might have less of a budget than what I use. Years ago we used the Mackie BK. Also used some of the Samsons. I always felt the sound was veiled with them, especially the BK. So I asked around, and made the choice of the SPL MTC. Wowzo. Everything jumped to life. Imaging. Not two dimensional anymore. And not brittle in the highs. So much easier to edit and mix. FWIW...

https://spl.info/en/products/monitor-co ... rview.html
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.