The Elusive "Best" Hammond B3 VI

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Elusive "Best" Hammond B3 VI

Post by mhschmieder »

Is that the one from Melda? I tried all of their plug-ins a year or so ago and despised them all, more than almost any I've ever tried. Maybe they've gotten better since then. They all seemed very lo-fi and poorly programmed. I have rarely heard so many artifacts from plug-in processing.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Yes MVintageRotary is the one from melda. I'm not much of a fan of their products either but that one was worth it when it came on sale for cheap. Its the only product I own from them. Much preferred it over the PSP one or any other dedicated Leslie plugins I have ever heard so far. I haven't heard the new UVI yet though. Would like to. There is a new Hammond chorus/tremolo section plugin out now too, can't remember who makes it. I suspect that a decent Leslie combined with a decent chorus/tremolo could make even the cheesiest organ sound fantastic. Since the time I got the melda plugin I have just been using VB3 as is and very happy with it. Originally I was trying to get a better amp/speaker sound for B4II which in my opinion has lousy distortion. But VB3 seems to be working well with whatever is built in. I did like the leslie control in melda better then VB3, especially horn spinning, but VB3's distortion sounds WAY better then anything else I've heard for b3 rock type stuff.

I think it's great there are so many options for decent organ now. Unless you're a purist Hammond player that knows that instrument inside and out I think the sky is the limit, do what sounds good to you but truthfully some drawbar control, decent chorus with ability to switch it in and out with fade in time, Leslie-esque distortion and rotary..... these controls are what made the b3 such an expressive instrument to play, and in a way that is musical and organic the way the chorus takes a little time to fade in and for the speaker rotary to ramp up/down, move the draw bars around to tweak timbre in realtime, etc all in a sort of musical and organic way.

So anyway I think the Leslie and chorus sims are perhaps more important then picking the right basic organ underneath, any of them sound cool in their own way, unless you're a purist that absolutely needs to replicate classic sounds
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dewdman42 wrote:I think the Leslie and chorus sims are perhaps more important then picking the right basic organ underneath, any of them sound cool in their own way, unless you're a purist that absolutely needs to replicate classic sounds
I concur, hence my interest in the Leslie Studio 12... :D
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Falcon has just been updated today, so this new version of Acoustic Samples B-5 is no longer bound to UVI Workstation.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, I was a bit unfair about the Melda Leslie plug-in, as that is one I haven't tried -- it came out after I had written the company off.

To put this into context, there are a few other plug-in manufacturers that took a few years before they hit their stride. I try to keep an open mind about vendors, but they have to first release something that fills a void or else I am less inclined to give them another look.

For instance, there are new vendors coming along constantly, that do yet another Neve EQ emulation, when I already have at least five that are perfect. :-)

I'll make a note to try Melda's Leslie plug-in after I've had time to thoroughly evaluate B-5's modification of the UVI Rotary, the UVI Rotary as a standalone effect, the latest updates to PSP L'otary, and what is built into my Hammond XK-1c (although I do occasionally use rotary effect on other stuff).

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

HCMarkus wrote:
dewdman42 wrote:I think the Leslie and chorus sims are perhaps more important then picking the right basic organ underneath, any of them sound cool in their own way, unless you're a purist that absolutely needs to replicate classic sounds
I concur, hence my interest in the Leslie Studio 12... :D
Order placed. :D
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Leslie Studio 12 has arrived. :dance:

Sound: TBD...
Weight: 85 lbs.
To Do: Purchase and install casters.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sound: Like a Leslie for realz. If you use organ pedals, get a sub, but for we who play with fingers only, most excellent!

Portability: 85 lbs and too wide for one person to move, much less carry. I added casters already.

System Integration: Balanced out from audio interface(MOTU828mkII) > DI (Radial passive transformer running reversed from typical DI use) > short 1/4" TS > Leslie. Foot switch cable is about 20' and can be easily extended further using a TRS headphone extension cable.

Use: I can route anything, including any organ VI, to the Leslie for re-amping. Expect to run it in clean mode with saturation coming from VI amp modelers but we'll play with the tube pre to see how it stacks up.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:... but we'll play with the tube pre to see how it stacks up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:... but we'll play with the tube pre to see how it stacks up.
Marshall Stack, turned up to 11 with Doubly engaged.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

BTW Mike, where did you find that picture of me? :lol:
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Just want to make an important note for those interested in the Melda rotary sim: they have TWO DIFFERENT rotary sims. The one I have is MVintageRotary, which is supposed to be an accurate model of a Leslie. They have a more expensive model, "MRotary", that I haven't tried which is more aimed at doing wild creative sounds and building impossible speakers. I get the feeling it basically does everything that MVR does, plus you can tweak every modeling perimeter. I don't see much point in it, personally. I'm extremely happy with MVintageRotary as it is.

Just wanted to clear up the confusion.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Prime Mover wrote:Just want to make an important note for those interested in the Melda rotary sim: they have TWO DIFFERENT rotary sims. The one I have is MVintageRotary, which is supposed to be an accurate model of a Leslie. They have a more expensive model, "MRotary", that I haven't tried which is more aimed at doing wild creative sounds and building impossible speakers. I get the feeling it basically does everything that MVR does, plus you can tweak every modeling perimeter. I don't see much point in it, personally. I'm extremely happy with MVintageRotary as it is.

Just wanted to clear up the confusion.
Thanks, Eric - I was wondering about that. I'll stick with MVintageRotary, as it has what I think I'd need.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Here's a new one to consider:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/07/ ... imulation/

Not sure I'll bother trying it myself though, as I have Hammond hardware.

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Oooh! I will definitely have to demo that one. I'm convinced that the best hammond VI is going to be a modeled one, and as good as they are, all the recent ones we've seen are sampled... and they're RAM/CPU hogs. At their core, tone wheel organs are extremely simple instruments, especially compared to pianos and other acoustic instruments, so I'm always thinking it shouldn't be THAT hard to model one, right? B4-ii was modeled and I would argue it's tone wheel component is still one of the best out there, even if it's Leslie sim is a bit long in the tooth.

I'd love to see some reviews of this new one. The few forum reviews I've read are very positive. I love B5, and would rather not switch AGAIN so soon, but a modeled one would be really nice.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy