New Slate Bundle additions are awesome

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Slate Bundle additions are awesome

Post by mhschmieder »

I've decided against it. Probably good value vs. buying things piecemeal as they come out, but one never knows if the subscription cost will go up later, and then one can be left high and dry. Perpetual licenses are so much safer for those of us who wear a gazillion hats and have our priorities constantly changed for us by others. A full-time pro studio might reach a different conclusion.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's ridiculously cheap relative to the cost of all the plugs 'though, Mark.

Sounds like you may already have most of them; I have none.
mhschmieder wrote:... it is too hard for me to predict in advance how much I'm going to use specific tools, and when.
One of the cool things about the system is that you can apparently pause the count-down clock at any time.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's good to know that it isn't a standard subscription model. I'm so burned by Autodesk and Adobe at the moment that I practically have steam coming out of my head any time a subscription is pushed over perpetual licenses.

If I hadn't just made the same decision recently and bought all the new plugs (except the ones Slate doesn't do themselves), I might have made a different decision. And maybe after Messe I'll decide to hold off on anything new from them, and do a subscription later.

In reality, every time Slate comes out with a new plug-in, I wish I hadn't just spent money on somebody else's, as Slate's almost always becomes my primary go-to due to how transparent his plugs are.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

This is the impression I'm getting from many users' feedback, Mark, so you're definitely no alone there. Seems to me that they sound good, are rock-solid, intuitive and inflict very little damage in the way of CPU load.

I'd definitely hold out and go for the bundle in future if I were you, based on the little I know of your situation. I can't help but wonder whether or not Slate would offer you a decent discount in light of the fact that you've already shelled out so much.

From where I'm sitting, owning only SSD and looking forward to grabbing the rack-mountable-preamp-based VMS when it comes out, it's a no-brainer; the Lex emu alone practically makes it worthwhile, especially as I have nothing apart from ProVerb and had hoped to buy whichever Lex plug was deemed most worthwhile (best bang for the buck) at some point. I've always respected the Lex algorithms and the approach that was taken over so many years - that of aiming first for musicality, so I'm keen to see if I can get away with not buying into the Valhallas of this world and just sticking with, say, this emu.

Please keep us informed, Mark; I have so much respect for your judgement it's not funny.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Looks like Slate is setting a new standard for subscriptions. Eventide has announced a subscription model today at MusikMesse that is almost identical:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/eventide-a ... ndle-33164

The main difference is that I have no reason to think Eventide will put out as much new content per year as Slate, to make it worthwhile.

For those just getting started with Eventide plug-ins, however, it might work out to be a good financial incentive.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The Eventide deal looks good. I have two of the eligible plugins and would get two free months. Plenty of time to try them out at a low cost, as long as an annual subscription is not necessary to get the free months.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8