New Slate Bundle additions are awesome

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Slate Bundle additions are awesome

Post by Gravity Jim »

Slate is making your Everything Bundle subscription more valuable much faster than I ever expected.

The new Virtual Preamps (part of the Mix Rack) are already out and sound fantastic, but now at NAMM they've announced partnerships (like the one they have with Relab that brings us the LX480 Complete) with Eiosis on their Air and Earth EQ plugs, and with Scuffham for their guitar amp emulations. Look for those to show up in your Gobbler feed soon.

I get the feeling that I wouldn't want to hang out with Mr. Slate, but I love what he's doing for my studio and workflow. Rock on.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Re: New Slate Bundle additions are awesome

Post by mhschmieder »

I hemmed and hawed last month, and ended up deciding to buy the perpetual license for the new stuff instead, even though three of those items are not otherwise available for sale at all (at his site).

I've seen too many companies that are on top, disappear at some point. Maybe I'm being overly superstitious. I will say that in the case of Slate, trust is not the issue as it is with other vendors who have in fact gone subscription-only in some cases (and who I refuse to patronize as a result).

I can't possibly predict my usage of any software that I buy as I wear a lot of hats and am constantly thrown onto the unexpected, so planning is very difficult. Slate lets you drop the subscription and pick it back up again if you do it month-by-month though. I may still consider that.

Oh, back to these new pre-amps, they are definitely great and a valued addition. I haven't had a chance to use them on actual production work yet as my current focus (when I'm not working or gigging, which is rare these days) is more on continuing to improve the arrangements and parts for my jazz album that I thought I had signed off on during the end-of-year holidays. :oops: :oops:
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
waxman

Post by waxman »

I read they are not supported on DP. Any issues?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

waxman wrote:I read they are not supported on DP. Any issues?
Working great on two rigs here
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yeah, I don't know how that got started: probably one guy who had a problem and just kept posting and posting and posting. But they run fine here, and sound dynamite. A couple of new third-party plugs are getting added to the bundle soon, and Slate Digital says they're cooking new Slate plugs, too, so I think the value of the All-In bundle will increase quite a bit.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't drunk the subscription Kool Aid but what I have works great. :koolaid:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Gravity Jim wrote:Slate is making your Everything Bundle subscription more valuable much faster than I ever expected.

The new Virtual Preamps (part of the Mix Rack) are already out and sound fantastic, but now at NAMM they've announced partnerships (like the one they have with Relab that brings us the LX480 Complete) with Eiosis on their Air and Earth EQ plugs, and with Scuffham for their guitar amp emulations. Look for those to show up in your Gobbler feed soon.

I get the feeling that I wouldn't want to hang out with Mr. Slate, but I love what he's doing for my studio and workflow. Rock on.
I keep hearing people raving about them (I didn't know them until now, thanks to your post).

I just visited their website and everything looks amazing... I think I will try the monthly deal.

So you REALLY like them? Which ones are your favourite, and why?
How do they compare to their counterparts or equivalents?

I really want to try their tube and tape stuff!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Compared to other plug-ins in the same vein, the Slate compressors, channel strips, preamps, etc., all sound cleaner, less obtrusive and smoother. The FG-X mastering plug is amazing in this regard: it seems to me that its approach to the combination of compression and leveling us just closer to what a musician wants than other similar tools.

The ReLab LX480 Complete has quickly become my first-try reverb... It just sounds so damn good and has so much control. And for a very quick fix, a lot of tracks just need a dose of Lift.

They're really, really good.

By the way, the Scuffham guitar stuff they promised became available today. Haven't tried it and with my new amp I probably won't have much call, but they certainly have a good rep on this forum. I can't wait to hear the Air and Earth EQs, myself.
Jim Bordner

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:I get the feeling that I wouldn't want to hang out with Mr. Slate, but I love what he's doing for my studio and workflow. Rock on.
I would. He's a totally cool guy. I've talked with him at NAMM a couple of times. Very nice. Even donated a door prize in the past for the MOTU-MAC dinner.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

FMiguelez wrote: So you REALLY like them? Which ones are your favourite, and why?
How do they compare to their counterparts or equivalents?

I really want to try their tube and tape stuff!
Yesh FM, we REALLY like them. Every stinking one of them. Our engineer gets stuff done way faster with them. Probably cause they are just sonically 'right' for us older guys. It aint forensic type tools. But every one of them is used here. Those plus Soundtoys, Melodyne plus SPAT and maybe a handful of the Waves stuff is all we would probably need at this point.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Gravity Jim wrote:Compared to other plug-ins in the same vein, the Slate compressors, channel strips, preamps, etc., all sound cleaner, less obtrusive and smoother. The FG-X mastering plug is amazing in this regard: it seems to me that its approach to the combination of compression and leveling us just closer to what a musician wants than other similar tools.
labman wrote: Yesh FM, we REALLY like them. Every stinking one of them. Our engineer gets stuff done way faster with them. Probably cause they are just sonically 'right' for us older guys. It aint forensic type tools. But every one of them is used here. Those plus Soundtoys, Melodyne plus SPAT and maybe a handful of the Waves stuff is all we would probably need at this point.
AWESOME!

Thank you for your answers, Jim and labman.

I also discovered (through an old post by RadioGal) the Melda Productions plug-ins. They are great too! Man, I think I've spent too long with my Waves Platinum plugs. They used to be THE option years ago, but I definitely realise I've been missing out on a lot of new stuff. I'm quite impressed!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
waxman

Post by waxman »

got the everything bundle with the CLA course... Love em both
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Slated(!) for purchase later in the year.

I've said all along that when I eventually buy plugs, it'll be from reputable entities that have long-term futures. I've always wanted stable, low-CPU-cycle consuming plugs that didn't cost the earth or threaten to become obsolete at the first OS upgrade that came their way.

Slate fulfils all these requirements, and I haven't even mentioned audio / processing quality. I place PSP and Spectrasonics in this category too, just off the top of my head. The Slate bundle will likely place some of the PSP purchases I had in mind for a later date in jeopardy.

I say go for it, 'Nandito!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

The frankly awful UI on the Melda plugs killed them for me. I got the giant bundle for a pittance awhile back on Radiogal's recommendation, so I'm sure they sound great. But when I rebuilt my drive recently, I didn't bother to put them back.

Slate plug-ins have rapidly replaced almost everything I used to use. The sonic transparency is head and shoulders above the pack.
Jim Bordner

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

For just a few more hours, the annual full bundle subscription is available to loyal customers for $250. Has anyone taken advantage of this offer who was sitting on the fence like I am? Terribly torn on this, as it is too hard for me to predict in advance how much I'm going to use specific tools, and when.

I own all but the Scuffham Amps and the mini-versions of AirEQ (which I own from Eiosis in the full edition). But likely the timing of the sale means stuff is going to be announced at MusikMesse tomorrow or Monday.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH