OT - trouble with UAD2-Solo

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OT - trouble with UAD2-Solo

Post by mikehalloran »

This thread has been a little disjointed for me to follow as well as I'd like. No problem, you appear to have it working and that's the important thing.

Even though the battery wasn't the issue, these should be replaced on the Mac Pro tower every 4-5 years or so as part of routine maintenance. iMacs and Minis seem to last longer between changes.

A missing battery causes settings to not be retained but the Mac Pro will otherwise work fine once started. A battery with voltage below spec will drive you absolutely nuts trying to discern the problem.

Same was true with the G3/4/5. When those didn't boot, the easiest way to diagnose a bad PRAM battery was to remove it and see if the Mac then behaved.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Mike, Does my Quad G5 (still in service) use the same battery as my 2009 4,1 MP?

:smash:
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I almost changed the battery in my other MP which is about a year older. But I was too tired.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I had what sounds like the same problem...UAD2 Solo card stopped working. (It suddenly stopped working after I updated the UAD software once.) Lights on the back were fine. Tech support ineffective. I rolled back to as far back as I could (considering compatibility) on the UAD software versions. Complete uninstalls and reinstalls of the software. It came to life for a day on some earlier version. Next reboot, nothing. UA sent me a replacement card. Nothing. I gave up more or less for almost a year.

Later, I needed to do a complete rebuild of my system. New main drive, fresh install of the OS, reinstalled software. It was painful.

But the UAD worked. And it has ever since.

I think the trick was the fresh OS. Prior to that I had updated my OS as new versions had come out, not installed fresh. I had done that several times so I had a lot of accumulated crud in there. My guess is that something in that crud conflicted with something in the UAD software.

Anyway. Has been very solid since. FWIW. Good luck.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

That sounds like the same problem. I'm sure these are just little corner cases, but it's something to be addressed.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..