DP and TrapKat ???

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
screamin_keys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP and TrapKat ???

Post by screamin_keys »

Hey, looking to add a TrapKAT to my recording space. Anyone with any experience with one? What I'm looking for is to trigger BFD and at the same time record MIDI notes into DP to "re-amp" the drum parts into something else .. If there is anything else that might be better than a TrapKAT I'm open to that as well.

Thanks!
Mac Pro 3.33 6-core 48 gig ram / OS 10.13.6 / DP 10 / 2 Motu 828 mkII / JBL LSR 28P / Some old stomp boxes / a guitar
waxman

Re: DP and TrapKat ???

Post by waxman »

I've made records for years with that set up. The trapkat is great if the player embraces it. You can also do the same thing with a DrumKat which is much smaller. You may want to use a 2nd computer as the sound module. Make it simple and the priority is getting the MIDI info in. Editing is key. I liked doing things in sections then flying in fills from BFD. It works great. I have switched to a Roland TD 30 to keep the drummers happy and it's the TD30 uses it's own sound source.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
screamin_keys

Post by screamin_keys »

Thanks Waxman! I think this set up will handle what I need. Did you have a 10 GB Ethernet connection between your slave and your main computer?
Mac Pro 3.33 6-core 48 gig ram / OS 10.13.6 / DP 10 / 2 Motu 828 mkII / JBL LSR 28P / Some old stomp boxes / a guitar
waxman

Post by waxman »

No ethernet just MIDI. I really just focus on getting multiple custom grooves I want for a song. I have the drummer do 6 takes of the verse, multiple chorus, 2 or 3 bridge or anything else that happens once. I've found complete performances do not translate that well and waste time.

It's not like recording an acoustic set and a well rehearsed BAND that has so many subtle variations you need to capture the magic. I do miss those days when I had a big drum room and great bands showed up and the success was when we captured their unique vibe. Sadly happens less and less these days. So when I do e-drum work that is what I am trying to capture the vibe of a band and drummer... If anyone can tell the drums are not live I am missing it.

I see the TrapKat as a supplement to all the existing grooves available for BFD3 and a way for the drummer to be involved if you happen to be doing a band. Especially if the drummer is not a studio level Kat. :smash: Many times some minor editing to existing grooves in BFD3 is all I need for a killer track. I don't think you can beat the sound of BFD3 and the NI stuff.

There are a lot of ways to skin a KAT... :headbang: If you don't have a great drummer and a big drum room with a few great sounding sets. BFD will get it done. Adding a TrapKat is just a beautiful thing.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
screamin_keys

Post by screamin_keys »

Thanks Waxman! Great info..