The Raven MTi2 Thread

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Raven MTi2 Thread

Post by waxman »

Very cool thanks again for the pics... I get it. Sub mix is essential for me too. The computer and dp just choke when doing mixes itb...

Don't get me wrong the Raven is the best piece I have seen in a long time. I also use it with maschine when I am in production mode... The Batch Commander on the Raven can get deep. I suggest starting with the add track commands and other built in batch commands.

Now when I go to the menu line I think if it's something I could do in one button push. Eventually I hope to get more batch commands happening.

Hang on to that bride to be. When your girl is cool with gear it's beautiful.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Got mine on Friday. Small caveat that I'll have to get a replacement unit. There's a 2 inch vertical grey spot in the middle of the monitor.

Stating that, I think I'm also running into graphics card issues. My mac is a modded 09 model, the only big difference between it and a 2010 on up is the graphics card. Later models have double the memory etc. Noting on their site they recommend 2010 and newer. I'm all in as of now, so I suppose I'm a test case for modded macs...

Issues so far:
Seems I can't really run two monitors, I was getting frozen GUI's , ghosting i.e. empty see through Finder windows, and general Sluggishness. the card in the Mac Pro is an ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB, it seems that 1GB is a minimum? I'm guessing, but everything else about this system is faster and better than a 2010 model so...

Another odd monitor related thing, The OSX "Displays Preferences" sees the Raven as a TV, and underscans the interface unless "overscan" is checked. If that's normal let me know. I'm assuming it's due to the graphics card etc.

The pan knobs are wonky in both the floating mixer and main Raven mixer. Mind of their own type thing. DP9's pan knobs respond just fine.

This might be due to my lack of knowledge as of now, but the Raven software has to be force quit via the menu bar "force quit" every time you quit DP or is it supposed to quit with DP?

For the record, Raven is the only Control Surface at the moment, no HUI or mackie etc stuff beyond that. I have not uninstalled Automap as Slate said Automap without HUI control was not an issue. Might try that. I minimized the Spaces in OSX down to one to save graphics memory and I'm only running the Raven monitor at the moment. So far the pan issue is the only big one.

Running 9.02 and El Capitan.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Following up for those interested in purchasing etc. El Capitan seems to be the culprit. I was allowed a beta bugfix for the Fine Fader freezing issue, and they know about the pan knob issue and are working on it. The duel monitor issues may have been related since the current beta doesn't respond badly to the second monitor.

I was being silly about closing the Raven software, of course it's a touch screen control, and the mac looking power button just like the real buttons must be held down to call up a shut down dialogue.

Fun little note, Startup clippings work really well with the Raven! Total advantage over other DAWs this way!
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mattdodge

Post by mattdodge »

Hey Guys,

Dropping a line here to check-in. As you know, my team and I have been working on the next update and have been working specifically on a couple RAVEN DP improvements. If you're interested in joining our RAVEN DP Beta Team to get the next version of the internal build, we'd love to get your notes and make sure we get everything addressed before officially releasing. You should know that on-top of maintenance updates for Mac users, we're simultaneously working Windows support, Batch Commander Mac and Windows support. Shoot an e-mail to: ravenbeta@slatemt.com

Thank you for your patience with the next release! As an update, our latest estimated target for release is the 2nd Week of March, however as always - these estimates are subject to change.

Thank you,

md
--
Matt Dodge
Software Director,
Slate Media Technology // Slate Digital LLC
slatemt.com // slatedigital.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

Killahurts wrote:
waxman wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:I am finding I need to calibrate often. The Pitch Quantize is hit and miss.
I wondered how the Raven would handle the smaller, more tedious editing like pitch automation. Is it because there are problems with the calibration, or is it that the elements you touch/edit are just too small?

This is actually my biggest concern with Raven MTi2..
Actually the physical size of the Raven is not the issue. Sometimes when I select with the mouse an area for pitch fix when I hit the Batch Command button it does not work. Then I have to mouse up to the menu line. But as for small buttons and lanes on DP or any DAW I don't see how that could be fixed by the Raven. It would take a rework of the DAW. I SO wish they would come up with a standard for channel width. If DP would ALIGN with the RAVEN in floating mix mode it would be INCREDIBLE. Since the Raven does not emulate the DP upper mixer section I find I need to have a mixer open without the DP faders. The solo, mute, record are redundant and waste space. All I need is the automation button. Then if the DP channels were the same width it follows the next 24 buttons on the Raven and THAT MY FELLOW DP USERS would be AMAZING. :woohoo:

If it was big enough for my physical paws to draw on the screen I would get about 3 notes. When I am pitch fixing and fixing MIDI I like to have at least a few bars or more depending on the phrase. The "C" key and "P" key for cut and pencil are so quick I don't see how I could beat those by picking the tool and touching the screen. I have no issue using the mouse for that work. In fact I prefer it instead of drawing on the screen.

A good function I like about batch command is it does away with having to mouse up to the menu line and go through steps. Those are the Batch Commands I look to use or make. With the Raven the mouse stays right in the work area. I use the magic mouse and the scrolling on it works great for me.

Even though the multiple racks are available on the Raven I am so in need of real estate one is all I prefer to keep open. I need to set up a second rack and get used to using it. Basically the Raven has changed my entire workflow and it is way better. It translates directly to the time and SOUND of the mix. My latest mix for a client they accepted the first version which rarely happens. I can say that is directly a RESULT of the Raven helping me to move quickly and efficiently much like when I had traditional big desk (multi channel console).
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

You know, I really wanted to love this. I tried hard to love it. But it hasn't changed my workflow, or even improved it. In fact, it just seems now, after having used it for three months, like a big flashy toy that's just a little in the way of my workflow.

It sounding incredibly exciting but now I don't see the point. I already know key commands for almost everything I do and I'm far more likely to reflexively use them than create a Batch Command... a lot of the ways I've become accustomed to editing and so on don't translate to touch and I end up using the mouse anyway... and I still haven't been able to do a mix that didn't require me to use the DP mixer 3/4 of the time. And, sad to say, the UI is pretty ugly.

I know this is going to sound shocking after all this time and gung-ho attempt to dig it, but I think mine might be going on Craigslist.

Still really loving the Slate plug-ins, though.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Gravity Jim wrote:You know, I really wanted to love this. I tried hard to love it. But it hasn't changed my workflow, or even improved it. In fact, it just seems now, after having used it for three months, like a big flashy toy that's just a little in the way of my workflow.

It sounding incredibly exciting but now I don't see the point. I already know key commands for almost everything I do and I'm far more likely to reflexively use them than create a Batch Command... a lot of the ways I've become accustomed to editing and so on don't translate to touch and I end up using the mouse anyway... and I still haven't been able to do a mix that didn't require me to use the DP mixer 3/4 of the time. And, sad to say, the UI is pretty ugly.

I know this is going to sound shocking after all this time and gung-ho attempt to dig it, but I think mine might be going on Craigslist.

My two biggest things workflow wise are answered with the Raven. I can see why someone wouldn't think it's the end all, but I wanted to get rid of the Mackie. Replacing the Mackie with a second monitor , (which I wanted anyway, sold my cinema displays during the mortgage crisis), and being able to control plug ins with touch are big bonuses. Honestly I haven't delved into Batch Commands that much yet, but I would guess that I'm going to end up making them for key commands with 3+ keys and ones that would involve the screen. DP has alway had Clippings, which for a lot of the Batch Commands they show on their videos, are even quicker to implement.

Mostly I like the Raven for mixing, and I do think there is room for improvement there, getting the Raven mixer to respond to the W W group key command for instance, it's a PITA That it doesn't. I during the composing stage end up lowing all the faders a few times. The GUI could use a few skins, I agree it looks like something from the beginnings of plug in and DAW design. I'm over 3D skinning in general, especially for DAW features.

A good multi touch monitor is a little under $600 at newegg, so this is the option out now that works with DAWs. I have faith that eventually things will improve. I'm not a fan of mousing for mixing, and the Mackie is cumbersome, so I was sold.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Michael, for me the thing is... even when it finally works someday (I don't know how you're mixing on it since the pans don't work and the meters don't work), why do I need it? What does it do that the DP mixer doesn't already do just as well? I end up doing almost everything with a mouse anyway, since so little of what I do really works with the touchscreen. It turns out that touch just isn't that big a deal for me. Being able to touch plug isn't all that cool: 8 times out of ten I enter the value I want from the keyboard.

I bemoaned having to sell it at a loss, and Matt pointed out that I could probably sell it for more than I paid, what with the waiting list and all, and after checking eBay its true.

I guess I'm just not good enough for a Raven. ;) My wife thinks I oughta keep it, but I'm having a hard time coming up with why.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Gravity Jim wrote:Michael, for me the thing is... even when it finally works someday (I don't know how you're mixing on it since the pans don't work and the meters don't work), why do I need it? What does it do that the DP mixer doesn't already do just as well? I end up doing almost everything with a mouse anyway,
The Fine Faders work in the beta, you can see the post above from a Slate employee about signing up for it. Panning isn't something I necessarily need to have be multi touch so I can wait out a fix on that.
As far as the meters are concerned I'm not sure what you mean? It's obvious that the Raven mixer is set up for a -5db mixdown here. Basically the minimum most mastering services request. That's the big difference I noticed anyway? If you go above 0db it acts like you're in the red, I have no issue with that. I liked mixing on a Mackie Control, but I didn't like taking my eyes off the screen to do so, that's a huge difference. Speed wise, adjusting faders with touch I find to be quicker for sure. I am not a fan of the mouse for controlling soft synths either..

I guess it comes down to my expectations were lower. I knew only the mixing part would be multi touch and I never expected the touch experience of an ipad out of the Raven.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:You know, I really wanted to love this. I tried hard to love it. But it hasn't changed my workflow, or even improved it.

Wow Jim... :? back away from the ebay and craigslist url's... Listen to your wife's voice. Let her talk you down. The update is coming...

Actually I get it Jim. Your set up and use is different although I really was helped by your input (when you cared) :) Anyway Jim whatever you do thanks for all the encouragement.

Like Michael I had 24 channels for MCU's so the Raven is just a huge upgrade and better flow. I find myself using more batch commands as I go. I think it's a process. I am still using most of my key commands. But for things you need to go to menu for the Batch Command is great. I wonder if MOTU will adopt the concept. Size wise I think touch screen takes a whole different DAW layout. And I would not want a mon bigger then the Raven MTi2.

Michael... True DP is so elegant no DAW looks as good IMO. But I do like the industrial look of the Raven UI... It looks like the UAD Console. It's that Neve fader look.

If it helps anybody this is how I use it.

The rest of my universe...

I don't miss this...

Here is Monkey Man guest engineering...
Last edited by waxman on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
waxman
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Gravity Jim wrote:You know, I really wanted to love this. I tried hard to love it. But it hasn't changed my workflow, or even improved it. In fact, it just seems now, after having used it for three months, like a big flashy toy that's just a little in the way of my workflow.

Sad to hear as you were one of the 1st to incorporate the Raven.
I have been trying to decide whether or not to fix my Avid artist mix or get the Raven?
Question: for tasks such as automating boosts and cuts on plug ins such as Waves, and automating various other plug ins in modes such as latch and touch, how does the Raven perform for you?

I can see a scenario for myself where I use Artist mix for faders, and the raven for plug in automation rides.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
waxman

Post by waxman »

How come DP does not look like this on the Raven?????

Check this video 2016 sneak preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foLVnwk ... ebberBrown
waxman
Michael Canavan

waxman wrote:How come DP does not look like this on the Raven?????
Pro Tools and Logic that I know of use an "overlay" that works with the regular mixer, with DP they just use their own mixer. I'm divided about that, DP has short faders, that's even more of an issue with touch, and I do like the ability to use pics at the bottom of the fader, that was something I found useful in Logic. Not having access to plug ins directly from the Raven mixer is the negative, but Spaces or screensets help that out.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Why no color coordination? That can't be that hard. I emailed the guys at Slate asking for fixes for the automation. I find myself mostly using the floating mixer. Either DP or Slate need to figure out how to line things up. That was the bummer about the Mackie MCU's. At least now they are on one screen. So using the floating mixer and the DP mixer top end (no faders) it scrolls and at least it's in the ballpark. SEE PIC... If the Raven channels on the floating mixer were thinner it would be great and dp just follows on the next 24 button on the Raven. I don't need all that space on the Raven mixer for volume readout. It's useless use of real estate....

Or.... MOTU just needs to do a touch mixer and get on with it... Size DP for touch and I think that would put them over the top.

If Studio One can do it surely MOTU can do it... Daves? are you listening?

waxman
Michael Canavan

waxman wrote:Why no color coordination? That can't be that hard. I find myself mostly using the floating mixer. Either DP or Slate need to figure out how to line things up. So using the floating mixer and the DP mixer top end (no faders) it scrolls and at least it's in the ballpark. if the dp mixer was wider or the Raven thinner it would be great. MOTU just needs to do a touch mixer and get on with it... Size DP for touch and I think that would put them over the top. If Studio One can do it surely MOTU can do it... Daves? are you listening?
IMO this is all on Slate. they did it for Logic and Pro Tools etc. With Logic it's an overlay of just the faders and the pan knobs, no frame around it, you align the Raven mixer with Logic's mixer etc. Funny how this stuff works, thanks for the tip about hiding the faders in DP, didn't think about that.