The Raven MTi2 Thread

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Raven MTi2 Thread

Post by waxman »

Once you push the blue INS button how do you cycle through the lower inserts?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

waxman wrote:Once you push the blue INS button how do you cycle through the lower inserts?
The plug in itself has drop down menus for the inserts ABCDEF etc.
You can even jump to other tracks in DP. The only thing it cannot do is jump to V-Racked gear.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

JameyZ had a good idea. He said " I would make a couple of blank BCs and use "scroll to next" and "scroll to previous" BCs from the quicklist to go through inserts."
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mattdodge

Post by mattdodge »

Hey Guys,

Just checking in to let you know our next update is looking great. We have a few more weeks of finalizing things, but we're close! Hope you're all well and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the update in a few weeks!

Thank you,

md
--
Matt Dodge
Software Director,
Slate Media Technology // Slate Digital LLC
slatemt.com // slatedigital.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Matt. I am stoked...
waxman
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I had forgotten about this thread and decided to revisit.

I'm still enjoying my Raven but I barely use it with DP. Too many bugs at this point, things are just not reliable and it honestly slows me down, so I know where you're coming from on this Jim. I've also been having random issues with DP9 itself which sours me from it a little bit as well.

I bought Raven licenses for DP, Logic and PT (I own and use all 3 DAWs). I've tried using it with DP a fair bit, I've used it with Logic a little bit (I haven't had call to do much Logic based stuff lately) and I've now used it with PT a fair bit. The Raven does work much better with PT than anything else (which is not a surprise as it's the most mature platform for it), so I've been using PT more than anything else at this point.

The way Slate currently rolls out the software is semi-prohibitive because ALL of the platforms have to wait for everything else to be completed before updates roll out, which I suspect is what we're seeing happening right now. I personally think that's a mistake, but I'm just a bystander. IMHO they need to split everything out into bite sized pieces -- so that Batch Commander/Raven is separate from the supporting apps (V-Control and UPDD) which is separate from the overlays (DP, PT, Logic, etc). Then updates to core functionality can roll out separate from smaller bite sized bug fixes for specific areas or DAWs as required. For example if there's a couple of critical fixes for DP they could be pushed out right away and not have to wait for a slew of other fixes for other DAWs to be finished. Then everyone would be much happier for the most part.

I was offered to join the beta testing team, which I accepted, but no one ever supplied me any beta builds to test. I have reported bugs against all 3 platforms so far but there's no forum or other interactive avenue to track the status on these things, ask if other users of your DAW can reproduce or test out fixes in the beta software to make sure they work (and to test further updates for any possible regressions). I honestly have no idea which, if any, of the bugs I have reported were known issues, if there are fixes in the works, if there are fixes for them already in the beta software, etc. That gets a little frustrating.

I feel strongly that having a beta testing "community" will massively help the development process, or at least it has for other projects that I've done this sort of stuff on (I've done beta testing since the 90's for different companies including some pretty big ones). I found another 2-3 bugs just last night with Raven and PT, but with no "known issue" list that I can get access to and little to no feedback during the bug reporting process it's just not worth MY time chasing all the details down for them and making a good detailed bug report about it if someone else has already spent the time and effort to do so or if it's a known issue or if there's a fix already in the pipeline, etc.

So Matt (and whoever else might be listening in from Slate) ... it's a really good idea to not waste the valuable time of the people that are volunteering to beta test your app on their own dime ... if you make it easier and get them more involved you will pretty much guarantee you will get more and better response from them and in turn it will both speed up and streamline the whole process ...

Just my $0.02.

For now I don't use DP much with the Raven, and when I do I still use it the same way that I did before I had the Raven (mostly) with the exception of trying to combine mouse clicks and touches when mixing (to various degrees of success).
15" Macbook Pro Retina quad 2.5Ghz 16G/512G SSD (2015 model),
Raven MTi2, 4k Vizio TV, Pegasus TB2 RAID5 (6TB),
UAD TB Apollo Twin Duo, UAD TB Satellite Octo, Tascam DM-3200/IFFW-DMII
DP 9.0.2 (Pro Tools 12.4, Logic Pro X 10.2.2), OS X 10.10.5
mattdodge

Post by mattdodge »

Hey Gerk,

First, I appreciate you taking the time do deliver your thoughts. You're completely correct on receiving the beta builds. As a beta member, you should always be receiving our latest build. I just had a conversation with my beta team manager and he'll be reaching out to you to make sure we get you the latest beta ASAP.

Thank you,

md
--
Matt Dodge
Software Director,
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Matt... I just got the email today with the 3.1 Beta Build...

Gerk could you please post any DP issues you are having on this tread. Thanks
waxman
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

If I had kept mine, I'd be on four months of waiting for the product to work. Nothing is that cool. If I buy a piece of gear and it doesn't work, I don't spend the next four months cheerleading while I wait for the manufacture to get the •••• together that they should have had together at launch... I don't appreciate spending a grand for the pleasure of being a beta-tester.

I'll look at it again in a year or so, but I'm guessing by then it will be fully functional and still basically a flashy toy. I'm also guessing there will be other highly competitive touch-screens by then, too.

Sorry to say this, Matt... but for anybody not using PT or Logic, I think you guys really blew this launch. I am a huge fan of all the Slate plug-ins, but you rushed Raven to market, and if DP was this much trouble to integrate, you should have just said you weren't going to develop for it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mattdodge

Post by mattdodge »

Hey Jim,

Tons of people are absolutely loving their RAVENs not only for Pro Tools and Logic Pro X but also for Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton Live and Digital Performer. Just like when Pro Tools & Logic Pro X were initially launched, there was a lot of great feedback provided by the users which gave us lots of information for continuing to evolve the software and its functionality. Without our newly supported DAWs, we have taken in the same and we now have a great update coming out targeted for the end of the month and we'll continue creating more and more updates to with awesome new features, software repairs and more. Software is an agile development, so we are always taking in concepts, ideas, desires and notes to evolve to the next level.

Our release was very successful and we'll continue evolving the software to greater levels as our users evaluate the product and let us know what they're noticing and what they'd like to see. I'm particularly happy with the next update to come out at the end of March as it has a lot of great DP-specific changes. It won't effect you as you're not a RAVEN user anymore, but just wanted to weigh in and let you know how our developments are managed and why we do things the way we do.

Thank you,

md
--
Matt Dodge
Software Director,
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Very nice response, Matt. I think some people don't realize that sometimes you can't anticipate every user's workflow or issues they may encounter. I'm not saying there aren't legit issues that need to be addressed, but when software is in the hands of thousands of users as opposed to a handful of testers, some issues come to the surface that you may not have expected.

Also, Slate is on the cutting-edge here... especially at this price point, so with any new technology there are growing pains. Also, sometimes if you're a business you're faced with a dilemma: when is a product ready to bring to market? Do you wait until it's absolutely perfect? What if while you're waiting for perfection or near perfection, someone else beats you to market and they get the big splash (even if THEIR product has issues) and now your product is an "also ran" and it's harder to get attention for it and you lose what you've invested in R&D?

I think we all have to keep in mind that when a company makes a big investment in bringing a product to market, there are certain realities that must be taken into consideration. I haven't jumped in yet, but I'm still very much interested in the Raven MTi2 down the line.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:If I had kept mine, I'd be on four months of waiting for the product to work... Nothing is that cool. If I buy a piece of gear and it doesn't work, I don't spend the next four months cheerleading while I wait for the manufacture to get the •••• together that they should have had together at launch... I don't appreciate spending a grand for the pleasure of being a beta-tester.
My Raven IS working and has been for the 3 1/2 months I've had it. I use it daily on large mixes. The few issues are very minor and don't effect the workflow. I'm using the beta and the pan is fixed and it all works great. BEST PIECE OF GEAR IN YEARS AND THE SUPPORT IS PERSONAL AND REALLY, REALLY GOOD.
Gravity Jim wrote:I'll look at it again in a year or so, but I'm guessing by then it will be fully functional and still basically a flashy toy. I'm also guessing there will be other highly competitive touch-screens by then, too.

Man GJ it seems you have it in for Slate. From what you have said about your workflow it seems the Korg NanoKontrol Studio at $149 is a better fit for you. I don't understand your motive to keep attacking the Raven MTi2. Is it because it's $999?

But in reading your post on the little Korg mixer you bought it's not exactly smooth sailing which for $149 should be expected. Funny thing if you railed on Korg you would just be a gnat on the ass of an elephant. Forget actually getting personal attention from the head of Software Design like Matt is giving to DP users.

Now as for the future I guess your crystal ball is working better then mine that you can predict what the Raven will be in a year. As of NOW the latest RAVEN beta software has cleared up the issues and it works great for me and many other pro users. I think you pulled the rip cord prematurely mate. However you sold it for more then you paid right? So why all the heat GJ?
Gravity Jim wrote:Sorry to say this, Matt... but for anybody not using PT or Logic, I think you guys really blew this launch. I am a huge fan of all the Slate plug-ins, but you rushed Raven to market, and if DP was this much trouble to integrate, you should have just said you weren't going to develop for it.
Again because of how cool DP works, it's modular design IMO it works better then the template style Raven in PT or Logic. I hope they don't do a template design. So I would just say to any DP user out there contemplating getting a Raven the bus has left the station. It's a "Rush To Touch" and the RAVEN is for PROS... it is the best experience I have ever had with any DAW controller and I have had a bunch of them. MCU, SSL, BCF 2000, Faderport etc. Go buy a Raven today. You'll be glad you did. You can sell it for more if you can't figure it out... Ok yeah I said it, I'm a fan of Slates MTi2...
waxman
wonder

Post by wonder »

Revisiting this thread.

It looks like more people are not thrilled with the Raven than people that are thrilled.

I got rid of my Tascam DM24 and bought a Mammoth Cave Audio Ground Control. Its all analog and has already started to fail. And getting any support (tech) from the single man operation is dang-near impossible. I think I'll return / sell / or shelf it.

I'm still getting used to having no mixer. Which I'm not 100% about. Not even 50% about at the moment.

Raven is still on the radar ... but way way back.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
waxman

Post by waxman »

wonder wrote:Revisiting this thread.

It looks like more people are not thrilled with the Raven than people that are thrilled.

I got rid of my Tascam DM24 and bought a Mammoth Cave Audio Ground Control. Its all analog and has already started to fail. And getting any support (tech) from the single man operation is dang-near impossible. I think I'll return / sell / or shelf it.

I'm still getting used to having no mixer. Which I'm not 100% about. Not even 50% about at the moment.

Raven is still on the radar ... but way way back.
Gravity Jim did not like it but it seemed to not fit his workflow. The Raven works GREAT for me and is totally incorporated into my workflow. But if you want an MTi2 at $999 it's going to be a while. The Thailand earthquake took out their factory. So Slate is making available the MTi 1 for $1499. I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing comes close to the Raven. Unless MOTU makes a MOTU model of the Raven I don't see anything else. That said the Raven is a great value and works great for me. The new software update is completely stable on Yosemite. Seems the people experiencing problems are on OSX 10.11xxx El Capitan.
waxman
wonder

Post by wonder »

Waxman,

Glad you're happy with your Raven. I was just about to order one then decided on another piece of gear that took priority. I was unhappy with that piece and just returned it.
I'm not against the Raven just yet ... but I definitely rely massively on Keystrokes, quick mouse movements, and hands-on workflow.

I'd just hate to get the Raven and find it slows my workflow bc I'm so set in my ways of Shortcuts, quick trackball mouse, etc etc.

If you're near L.A. ... would you be open to showing someone (Me) how you're working with your Raven?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear