The Raven MTi2 Thread

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Raven MTi2 Thread

Post by Gravity Jim »

Rats! No maintenance update yet, and with NAMM currently in full effect, I doubt we'll see it until after the show. Ah, well. La di dah.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:Rats! No maintenance update yet, and with NAMM currently in full effect, I doubt we'll see it until after the show. Ah, well. La di dah.
Yeah I am ready for it. There are some issues. I am finding I need to calibrate often. The Pitch Quantize is hit and miss. Macros can be inconsistent. I'm mostly using their macros. Sometimes when I go screen to screen it gets a little wonky. The other day every time I got to a Section in a song it would do a crazy macro and add a track. I reinstalled the control surface and that fixed it. That said I am 100% positive on the Raven and Slate.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

waxman wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:I am finding I need to calibrate often. The Pitch Quantize is hit and miss.
I wondered how the Raven would handle the smaller, more tedious editing like pitch automation. Is it because there are problems with the calibration, or is it that the elements you touch/edit are just too small?

This is actually my biggest concern with Raven MTi2..

I have to think that it would be less of a problem with the big Raven (isn't it 40", or 42"?), but I don't want one of those.

Even on my big screen, sometimes I have to use the control/zoom function on the mac to get in there with the little stuff.. I wonder if the Mac's zoom feature works on Raven?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Killahurts, with DP they do recommend that some controls be accessed via mouse, because they're just to small. It's not major list.

BTW, the calibration problem was the result of several reinstalls early on. It doesn't lose calibration or drift. I need to recalibrate on each reinstall because of some weirdness caused by my insistence on running the two LG displays rotated 180º... so each time I reinstalled Raven, the touch screen was 180º out of sync... a touch in the lower right corner produced a cursor in the upper left.

Not a calibration problem with Raven. Just some odd behavior because of my system.

We're expecting the new maintenance upgrade this week. 3.03 is the big one, and will arrive any day now.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Gravity Jim wrote:Killahurts, with DP they do recommend that some controls be accessed via mouse, because they're just to small. It's not major list.

BTW, the calibration problem was the result of several reinstalls early on. It doesn't lose calibration or drift. I need to recalibrate on each reinstall because of some weirdness caused by my insistence on running the two LG displays rotated 180º... so each time I reinstalled Raven, the touch screen was 180º out of sync... a touch in the lower right corner produced a cursor in the upper left.

Not a calibration problem with Raven. Just some odd behavior because of my system.

We're expecting the new maintenance upgrade this week. 3.03 is the big one, and will arrive any day now.
That sounds familiar. I think what is happening there is related to something I see on my system. Often times after a reboot my screens all try to mirror themselves. In your case this might be happening early in the process and then correcting itself ... which then throws the calibration out of whack.
15" Macbook Pro Retina quad 2.5Ghz 16G/512G SSD (2015 model),
Raven MTi2, 4k Vizio TV, Pegasus TB2 RAID5 (6TB),
UAD TB Apollo Twin Duo, UAD TB Satellite Octo, Tascam DM-3200/IFFW-DMII
DP 9.0.2 (Pro Tools 12.4, Logic Pro X 10.2.2), OS X 10.10.5
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote:Killahurts, with DP they do recommend that some controls be accessed via mouse, because they're just to small. It's not major list.
Slate mentioned over at geerslutz that touch screen pens should work in these cases if you want.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Michael Canavan wrote:
Slate mentioned over at geerslutz that touch screen pens should work in these cases if you want.
yeah, I read that elsewhere (from Steven) and have a touch screen stylus here on my desk, but I've been reaching for a mouse for so long, reaching for the stylus seems like an extra step.

I have confidence that 3.03 will fix all the weirdness, leaving only minor bugs if any.
Jim Bordner

kwiz

Post by kwiz »

waxman wrote:
kwiz wrote:The 24" is on top of a rack/producers desk that has a NI S61 key controller and a Machine Studio. I'm going to replace the 24" with the MTi2. I just hope my current video card doesn't choke. The current monitor setup I have has my video card operating at its limit.
I'm looking at your Avatar trying to figure it out... Can you post a pic when you get it going? Are you using it to control DP? Do you know it is a separate license for each DAW. Licenses are $99 bucks...
Hey Waxman, finally back from Santa Ana, so here are the pics of the Slate MTi2 in my studio.

Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
waxman

Post by waxman »

What are you controlling with it? Next time you are in Santa Ana let me know.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I am noticing some inconsistency with the Fader on the Raven peaks red light flash and reads clipping before DP meters and faders. So for instance the Master fader on Raven will show red light clip at -5 on DP and DP won't show red clip light until at 0. HMMM... Since the Raven is not doing audio there should be no sound difference right? Would there be an adjustment for the red light meter to show clip at zero on the Raven or Minus 5 on DP?

Most of this pertains to using the Floating Mixer...
Also when I group faders on DP do bring the entire mix up or down to regain headroom... DP will move all meters and keep them in their respective levels. if I adjust the Raven fader every fader goes to the level of the Raven fader I am adjusting... boom mix gone...

I really wish the INS button on the Raven enabled the dp automation for that track... Lastly the track width on DP is smaller then the RAVEN... too bad it would be so nice if the mixing board lined up with the raven or DP lined up with the Raven. I just end up sliding the board around. I do not have the faders showing on the DP board... Just the Raven. Unfortunately my paws are too big to use most of the DP buttons on the touch screen on the dp mixer. So I need to grab the mouse for bringing up plugs etc. Be nice if MOTU would break out the (solo mute rec) on the mixer since those are redundant on the Raven. Oh well one can wish right?
waxman
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That clipping indicator thing is on the list to be fixed in the next maintenance update, which they're now saying will push next week.

I haven't had the other problem, as I buss everything through a "MIX" track ahead of the master volume, and I can bring the whole mix down with that fader alone.
Jim Bordner

kwiz

Post by kwiz »

waxman wrote:What are you controlling with it? Next time you are in Santa Ana let me know.
I use it to control DP when I'm editing and mixing, mostly. Still in the transitional phase where old habits kick in, and I'll mouse around though. In those pics, I just didn't have Raven launched yet.

Will do as far as Santa Ana is concerned. I was out there for work this time. Nice city!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Kwiz... You bring tracks through your board for mixing. Not really sitting sideways to the monitors while you mix on the Raven. What do you use for automation? Thanks for the info. I was just curious since your set up looks unique.
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:That clipping indicator thing is on the list to be fixed in the next maintenance update, which they're now saying will push next week.

I haven't had the other problem, as I buss everything through a "MIX" track ahead of the master volume, and I can bring the whole mix down with that fader alone.

Cool the update will be nice. Yes I used to buss to a mix back to dp. I went to a Dangerous 2 buss and now I sum out to a Neve 8816 and mix to a Tascam DM 2 track. But basically all the faders are 5db - to clip on dp. I don't hear any clipping but the red clip light flashing on the Raven still evokes a response of.... shock: How are the batch commands working for you. I am using them exclusive for adding tracks. Deleting, pitch. I'm trying to add one new one a session. Using the mouse dies hard.

Between the UAD console which controls my 16 channels of Focusrite ISA pres, the meter bridge and the the Tracks Overview and Sequence Window all being on the screen in from of me it gets a little unruly with cntrl arrows. I really appreciate the machine controls for the Raven being always active. If I am on the UAD window dp is not active unless I keyboard or mouse back or touch the raven. But I can keep the UAD Console up and do the transport from the Raven. That is way cool. Once the input stage is under control I can flip to the meter bridge or Track/Sequence set up. The Raven has definitely delivered what I wanted. I put a client adjusting the faders for a few minutes yesterday and he got it right away. That is a good sign. That said the solo mute record on the fader is great but the INS is useless... I REALLY hope there would be an automation button from the mixer. That is one of the main functions of a console.

Have you figured out a rhyme or reason to the track names? Also is there a way to force an update when the track name changes?

I appreciate you guys sharing how you work with the Raven. I am still in change over mode here and I sometimes think there has got to be a better way...
waxman
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

waxman wrote:Thanks Kwiz... You bring tracks through your board for mixing. Not really sitting sideways to the monitors while you mix on the Raven. What do you use for automation? Thanks for the info. I was just curious since your set up looks unique.
Yes, all my tracks come through the console; I use the console for summing 8-12 stereo channels.
I don't mix ITB, and bus my 2 mix through a series of analog gear. The console also receives up to 16 channels of audio via light pipe that comes from soft synths on another computer.
I just started using the Raven's faders to control automation moves, and have never used the built in automation on the board. Before I got the Raven, I used the console to make fader moves in DP via the HUI protocol. That tech is long in the tooth though...lol (still use machine control on the console for recording though) The DM-4800 is the best bang for the buck IMHO. It's very flexible and sounds clean. I get most of my color from the analog gear. The weakest aspect of the board are the mic pre's, which I don't use but would if I were in a pinch. With that said, I got the Raven primarily for the touch screen aspect, especially when editing wave forms! 8) I also like the touch screen for editing in Machine, and other software synths! I've been following this thread and reading you and others concerns which I agree with, but all in all, when they tighten up this software, another Raven might find its way into my work flow. I have a small setup in my office at home, which I do writing and pre-production in. Luckily, my fiancé is in the business as well, and doesn't hassle me about my gear lust... :lol:

F. Douglas