BeyerDynamic MC930 Matched Pair -- unexpected application

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BeyerDynamic MC930 Matched Pair -- unexpected application

Post by mhschmieder »

During a Labour Day sale that was too good to pass by, I finally got a Matched Pair of BeyerDynamic MC930 Cardioid Small Diameter Condenser Microphones, which have been on my list for a decade.

These mics already have far exceeded my expectations. Their hump is at 12k vs. the more typical 8k hump, so I find it doesn't get harsh, even on metallic sources.

Although the main thing I bought them for was piano and acoustic winds/strings (plus maybe acoustic guitar), and though I was originally going to use them as Drum OH's in place of my bang-for-buck side-address Audio-Technica ATM450's, they found a surprising application as both top and bottom snare mics, in place of my gazillionth switch-out dynamic mic choices.

I've been through a couple of dozen mics on snare over the years; my choices have changed with almost every session and it's the part of the kit I've never been entirely happy with.

Most recently, I and been using the Audio-Technica ATM650 budget mic on the top, as it lets the wire sound through and also is fairly articulate. But it was prone to low resonance, and could be muddy -- the BeyerDynamic M201TG has more "snap" but misses stuff in a rock context so I reserve that one for jazz brush duties where it excels.

On the bottom snare, pointing up from the base of the stand, I had been using the Sennheiser MD431 mk II, which is similar to the MD421 mk II (both in sound and in application) but is super-cardioid like the MD441U and so better rejects bleed. It's an excellent mic, and sold within an hour of posting it for auction late last night. It's redundant for me at this point though.

The bigger difference was on the top snare, where the MC930 rejects bleed very well (if positioned properly), captures WAY more detail (and some of the wire) but without brashness. The dynamics are slightly compressed to where they are usable as-is, which is good.

The bottom snare showed way less difference vs. the Sennheiser dynamic choice, but we still felt the Matched Pair of MC930's at about 4" distance on either side off the snare, gave the fullest picture and the most energy and tonal balance.

Not many people think of using condenser mics on snare. I got the idea from Front End Audio's website (where I bought raw Matched Pair), as they have snare in their audio clips for that mic. I'm not sure how many people have tried this; I NEVER see it talked about!

I recently switched to a condenser for outside kick, but have known for years that this is often a popular choice (dating back to the 60's, if not earlier). And I know many use condensers on toms (I've tried, and didn't like it due to too much resonance). But snares always seem to get the reaction: "use an SM57 or similar mic", and that's what I've been doing for years (only not the SM57 as I hate that mic on EVERYTHING due to its brittleness and missing detail that can't be dialed back in at mix-down time).

The snare is the heart of the drum sound; it's where the most personality resides. So I've always wanted to get a better snare sound, and also less bleed (to avoid gating and resulting artifacts). So it makes sense in a way, that a condenser would be the best choice.

We tried the ATM450's -- and every combination of mics -- and they too sound more "real" than the dynamics, but a bit muffled and way less articulate or energetic than the MC930's (even if we "mix and match").

I can't wait to hear the MC930's on acoustic piano!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Phil O

Re: BeyerDynamic MC930 Matched Pair -- unexpected applicatio

Post by Phil O »

I think the problem with some great sounding mics on snare is their maximum SPL. I don't know off the top of my head what an SM57's max is, but I'm guessing it's pretty high. I used an AT4050 once on snare and it was clipping until I turned on the 10dB pad. It's rated at 149dB SPL (159 with pad engaged). So (for that session at least) a few peaks were hitting somewhere between 149 and 159dB SPL. It sounded great by the way. I was playing drums for that session and hitting hard, so I felt safe putting an expensive mic in that position. I don't think I'd trust other drummers with that choice. :shock:

I agree that a condenser on snare can sound great in a close micing situation. As they say, "If it sounds good, it is good." I get compliments all the time on my mixes, but I really don't think I'm that good at mixing. I think I get a good sound because I take my time selecting the right mic and fuss with placement, then fuss some more. IMO, there's no substitute for getting good sounding tracks before the mixing starts.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Re: BeyerDynamic MC930 Matched Pair -- unexpected applicatio

Post by mikehalloran »

It sounds like you found something that works great.

I haven't been a fan of SM57 or 58 ever. Doesn't mean that I don't have them, of course. Ever since I built a couple of these, I now use them with any Shure 150 Ohm dynamic (nearly all including the Beta series) and also my AKG D112 with its 200 Ohm impedance. Big improvement!

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/r ... l/330.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro