Upright Bass VI/samples - Should I buy Trilian?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Upright Bass VI/samples - Should I buy Trilian?

Post by mhschmieder »

I still find Vienna's the most reactive to natural playing techniques, but it's hard to sit it in the mix even with massive HPF usage and mid-low notches along with resonance notches.

Very dark and boomy. But recently I began using some of those old PSP tools like MixBass and MixTreble and found that they saved the day.

I own the Straight Ahead bass also, and have been meaning to put more time into it. I dislike all of my other upright libraries, for the most part, and I have quite a few.

Soon, I will have a couple of mics that will make recording my own upright the best solution. Nearly there already with some new mics I bought last month.

Even so, I don't plan to buy a second bass, and there are several main styles of upright that are significantly different in sound, from the all-carved classical models to the plywood student/intermediate models favored by jazz players to the narrow-neck high-action models that the jump-swing and rockabilly crowd prefer. Distinctly different sounds!

So, even if one is an upright player, it can be nice to have a couple of libraries to cover the variety of upright sounds and/or for late night mock-ups (or laziness in learning the parts right away).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

@mhschmieder

Thanks for your thoughts, Trilian certainly seems be, as we say in the UK 'Marmite' you either love it or hate it, (do you have Marmite in the US?) As yet I have not had the chance to play with it in the context of my music, which is not remotely jump-swing or rockabilly :D

My first impressions: a step up from SampleTank & Kontakt's factory basses, not keen on the GUI, took me a while to figure out where everything was. Managed to setup a warm upright that was not too clicky, but spent more time playing with the electrics than the uprights!
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Steve, as you'd know, down here in Jungleville (Down Under) we have Vegemite. I grew up in South Africa 'though, where we too had Marmite.

Everyone in the family was disgusted at the taste of Vegemite when we first moved over here. To this day I feel we Aussies have been duped - it's more crude / harsh, overly-salty and lacks character... just like the Aussie wilderness (the outback) LOL.

To be fair this analogy would seem unfair to the average Aussie... until he or she visited a place with real mountains (not hills), decent quantititties of flora and especially fauna, a much higher prevalence of rivers and streams and so on.
Rick Cornish wrote:
monkey man wrote:I'm buying it; planning on doing a deal for all three Spectra VIs.
FWIW: I did just such a deal at the Ilio booth at NAMM a couple years ago. They gave me a smokin' price on all three. You should be able to save significantly by doing it that way.
Well, I bought it as a special treat for my birthday, Rick. Unfortunately, as I'm not able to buy it online and can't accommodate the huge download, I plunked down for the packaged versions on DVD (apparently flash sticks are being considered; the transition hasn't been made yet); there was so little margin for the retailer I managed only to save $102 on the entire package.

No matter. I could have saved a further 100 or so by not patronising an old retail friend, but I wanted to give him the business. It seems it's all about the middle man.

Should arrive in 1 to 2 weeks. Thank you for your interest, Rick.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

You're very welcome. I know what you mean about huge downloads. I live in a remote area and use satellite Internet. I get 150gB a month and then pay $10 per gB over that, which is highway robbery. Makes it expensive to download the 50gB Hammersmith Pro....I will probably pay the extra $40 for a USB drive and shipping. (Fortunately, fiber is in my future!)

Enjoy the Spectra trio. You won't be sorry you got them.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, I'm sure I will, Rick, and thank you for sharing that.

25G peak and 25 off-peak per month here... and it's s-l-o-w.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here