What's your cleanest compressor plug-in?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What's your cleanest compressor plug-in?

Post by philbrown »

Thanks for the heads up on Klanghelm. Never heard of them and the prices are right!

monkey man wrote: My 2 cents' worth:

Spittiness, IMHO, is epitomised by what T-Racks used to do to the vocal high end back in the early days. This manifested as high-end crunchiness in cymbals. Can't speak for today.
Exactly.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

philbrown wrote:Thanks for the heads up on Klanghelm. Never heard of them and the prices are right!

monkey man wrote: My 2 cents' worth:

Spittiness, IMHO, is epitomised by what T-Racks used to do to the vocal high end back in the early days. This manifested as high-end crunchiness in cymbals. Can't speak for today.
Exactly.
i think I'm going to be a customer, too.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't know if it's "clean," but my go-to favorite is Waves' R-Comp (Renaissance Compresser). It's transparent, it's easy to set up and does the job.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Gravity Jim wrote:I don't know if it's "clean," but my go-to favorite is Waves' R-Comp (Renaissance Compresser). It's transparent, it's easy to set up and does the job.
I have used that one for this application and I agree, Jim. The name belies it a bit as you can set it where it's not very colored at all or push the limiter and will get gnarly as hell. It's a pretty standard go-to for me and I have dozens of compressors. Cool that it works as an expander as well on the rare occasions (for me anyway) when that's needed.

Side note to all compressor plug-in developers, no matter how cute and wonderfully vintage your GUI emulation is:

WET/DRY CONTROL!

I forget the graphs-and-charts technicalities of exactly what parallel compression is doing, but I find it quite useful to mix back in 10-30% dry signal. Just seems to work on a lot of stuff IMHO.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yup. All comp plugs should have a mix knob, no question.

Apart from anything else, it saves on track and channel numbers, along with setup time.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
billf

Post by billf »

philbrown wrote: Side note to all compressor plug-in developers, no matter how cute and wonderfully vintage your GUI emulation is:

WET/DRY CONTROL!

I forget the graphs-and-charts technicalities of exactly what parallel compression is doing, but I find it quite useful to mix back in 10-30% dry signal. Just seems to work on a lot of stuff IMHO.
FYI, the Klanghelm has a hidden wet/dry control. There's a small white arrow at the bottom, click it and additional controls appear.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I generally use the Native Instruments SSL strip and buss for spoken word, the strip grabs the peaks off, and the buss helps level things a bit, but as you said, automation to take load off the buss compressor is really the key.

I would also check out the Slate Digital plugs - you can get a subscription now for $20/mo which is what I'm doing for a project right now. "Renting" the entire suite for a whole month for 20 bucks? That's enough time to mix this whole album I have in front of me.

I would look at the Slate FGX Mastering (I think it's called) and test the virtual buss compressors in there too. A Fairchild, an SSL4k, and a Red.

Have you tried a subtle application of Massey's TapeHead to shave off the transients? At low settings it doesn't impart that much color, and it could do what you need it to do perhaps, mellowing out the high mids to boot.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I never ever use a wet/dry/mix control. I used parallel compression a lot a decade ago, and then just stopped completely. I don't find a reason to use it anymore.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote:I never ever use a wet/dry/mix control. I used parallel compression a lot a decade ago, and then just stopped completely. I don't find a reason to use it anymore.
I never found a use for it, myself.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:
EMRR wrote:I never ever use a wet/dry/mix control. I used parallel compression a lot a decade ago, and then just stopped completely. I don't find a reason to use it anymore.
I never found a use fir it, myself.
Well one musical use is to slam the crap out of the drum bus and bring that just underneath the dry mix. Sta-Level (I think it's called) and the Distressor Nuke setting are commonly used.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yeah, I know the theory, I just don't ascribe to it anymore. The sounds I used to chase with that method I get other ways now.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Jamie wrote:I generally use the Native Instruments SSL strip and buss for spoken word, the strip grabs the peaks off, and the buss helps level things a bit, but as you said, automation to take load off the buss compressor is really the key.

I would also check out the Slate Digital plugs - you can get a subscription now for $20/mo which is what I'm doing for a project right now. "Renting" the entire suite for a whole month for 20 bucks? That's enough time to mix this whole album I have in front of me.

I would look at the Slate FGX Mastering (I think it's called) and test the virtual buss compressors in there too. A Fairchild, an SSL4k, and a Red.

Have you tried a subtle application of Massey's TapeHead to shave off the transients? At low settings it doesn't impart that much color, and it could do what you need it to do perhaps, mellowing out the high mids to boot.
All good suggestions, thanks Jamie.