small control surface for DP8

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: small control surface for DP8

Post by James Steele »

musicman691 wrote:The Frontier Designs Tranzport has long been out of production and that was the only other single fader cs I knew of. This would be on OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5. For me it's not so much a thing of being cheap but physical space which is in short supply around here (and I don't have a TARDIS :wink: )
I think you mean AlphaTrack... and it does work, BTW... even in El Capitan. Read this topic:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60778
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

James Steele wrote:
musicman691 wrote:The Frontier Designs Tranzport has long been out of production and that was the only other single fader cs I knew of. This would be on OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5. For me it's not so much a thing of being cheap but physical space which is in short supply around here (and I don't have a TARDIS :wink: )
I think you mean AlphaTrack... and it does work, BTW... even in El Capitan. Read this topic:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60778
Thanks for the correction and actually I would like to have both pieces.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Your in luck then. There's also an updated DP control surface bundle for the TranzPort as well. I don't have one to test, but I'm guessing there's a good chance it could be coaxed into working on El Cap using the same method as with the AlphaTrack.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CPU-!!!! wrote:JlCooper CS-32 Mini on OSX El Capitan

the driver may not be necessary but I found it was needed
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Mac ... r_v2_3.dmg

projectgus.github.io/hairless-midiserial/
Settings are important:
Baud 38400
Data Bits 8
Parity none
Stop bits 1
Flow Cntrl none

Then Map USB <-> Serial to the MIDI in to IAC Driver Bus 1 & MIDI out to IAC Driver Bus 2

I have mine working perfectly so far... it is great actually with studio one as the DAW is preconfigured for it so there was no setup needed. I think that is all it takes but I also tried a few dead ends.
If the above fails -->Mine shows up in the MIDI interface as the MCS2 because I toyed with the Install_MCS2_USB_2.8 package from the jlcooper site. you may try to Install it to get some of the files it provides. I removed the install but it does leave something behind...
I am going to spend some time tonight seeing if I can make that work. That would be very nice for me if I can.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I am running an AVID Artist mix, works pretty well but needs to be re started sometimes when adding tracks. Other issues too but I’ve learned to work around most of them.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

James Steele wrote:Your in luck then. There's also an updated DP control surface bundle for the TranzPort as well. I don't have one to test, but I'm guessing there's a good chance it could be coaxed into working on El Cap using the same method as with the AlphaTrack.
Thanks for the info. El Capitan is not on my radar any time in the future. As long as things work on Mavericks I'll be happy.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I've been looking for one too.
I hate to say it but *cough* Behringer XTouch looks really cool.

Although, it's between that and the MTI by Slate at the moment. Still haven't made a decision.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I was wrong about the Raven. See below.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:
CPU-!!!! wrote:JlCooper CS-32 Mini on OSX El Capitan

the driver may not be necessary but I found it was needed
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Mac ... r_v2_3.dmg

projectgus.github.io/hairless-midiserial/
Settings are important:
Baud 38400
Data Bits 8
Parity none
Stop bits 1
Flow Cntrl none

Then Map USB <-> Serial to the MIDI in to IAC Driver Bus 1 & MIDI out to IAC Driver Bus 2

I have mine working perfectly so far... it is great actually with studio one as the DAW is preconfigured for it so there was no setup needed. I think that is all it takes but I also tried a few dead ends.
If the above fails -->Mine shows up in the MIDI interface as the MCS2 because I toyed with the Install_MCS2_USB_2.8 package from the jlcooper site. you may try to Install it to get some of the files it provides. I removed the install but it does leave something behind...
I am going to spend some time tonight seeing if I can make that work. That would be very nice for me if I can.
I have made many attempts and tried every combination of resources that I can think of but no dice.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

The Raven turned out to be a bust. They're still promising to fix most of the problems in the next update (supposed to be out now but it isn't... a few weeks, they say), but even if they do fix the pan knobs and so on, you still need the DP mixer to get some primary tasks done, and it took them so long to address the software problems that I was able to realize that I didn't need it.

So I sold my Raven - yeah, sure it's all touchy and future-y and cool and stuff, but, so what? - went back to 2 displays and added a Korg NanoKontrol Studio. The NKS is really slick, and if you don't mind the short faders, does everything I need for $150. 8 faders with Mute, Solo, Rec and Select channel buttons, five user-defined scenes, Cycle on/off, Next/Previous Marker, RTZ and Transport controls, plus a jog wheel if you want one. Took 2 minutes to set up for DP and worked instantly. Batteries and Bluetooth, or powered and connected via USB. I have not wished I had the Raven back even once since I shipped it away.

After a lot of shopping around, this unit totally gets my vote.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:The Raven turned out to be a bust.
Sorry Jim the Raven was not your cup of tea.

I've had a great experience with the Raven and it works well. IMO Steven Slate is a pro and understands what good workflow should look like. As with other Slate products the concept for the Raven MTi2 is Pro and based on what it's like to work on a large format pro console.

The Raven has fundamentally changed the way I work on DP and I am sold on the Slate Eco System. I use the Batch Commander and recently bought Slate annual plugs. Those plugs work and SOUND great. I use them right along with my UAD plugs. I LOVE getting all those Slate plugs for $299 a year.

As for support Slate has been awesome. I received my Raven in mid December and an update to 3.02 happened the first month. The software director for Slate checks out the Motunation site and keeps us updated whats to come. (See) http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 10#p523170. I don't remember any company doing that before.

I know this sounds like I'm a homer for Slate Digital but I just appreciate great gear. Bottom line the proof is in the pudding or more important in the tactile tasting... Get your hands on a Raven and I doubt you will go back to DAW hardware controllers that are neither ergonomic or functional. I predict a RUSH TO TOUCH by other manufacturers. I have owned the MCU and extenders, Faderport, the BCU and tried the AVID. The Raven is a Mackie MCU killer, an Xtouch killer or any other hardware controller is now dealing with a real disruption.

I'm not only using the Raven floating mixer and Raven mixer but also using Touch to control many DP 9.02 functions like solo, record and automation and Sequence Window functions. Plugins are a joy to work with on the Raven. Especially UAD and some Waves like JJP, CLA, and all the big knob Sound Toys. Personally I think DP is the best DAW to use with the RAVEN because DP is so easy to customize windows and save window sets. The Raven uses templates with PT and Logic. But DP Raven software is different to take advantage of DPs flexibility. As soon as Michael got me started using icons on the big mixer it became the best experience I have had with a DAW controller. I now have a dozens of icons that make the Raven as cool as using color for grouping.

Slate Digital has reached out to MOTU for making the Raven even better for DP. Unless MOTU came out with their own controller Slate is THE BEST DAW controller out there. At $999 it's a good value. Gravity Jim sold his on Ebay for what he bought it. As time goes on the Raven will just get better as it's software based. The MTi2 is selling like hot cakes and I believe the user base will just get bigger as people get a chance to try it...

Jim I hope you understand my rebuttal to the " bust" comment. Nothing personal
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Gravity Jim wrote:The Raven turned out to be a bust. They're still promising to fix most of the problems in the next update (supposed to be out now but it isn't... a few weeks, they say), but even if they do fix the pan knobs and so on, you still need the DP mixer to get some primary tasks done, and it took them so long to address the software problems that I was able to realize that I didn't need it.

So I sold my Raven - yeah, sure it's all touchy and future-y and cool and stuff, but, so what? - went back to 2 displays and added a Korg NanoKontrol Studio. The NKS is really slick, and if you don't mind the short faders, does everything I need for $150. 8 faders with Mute, Solo, Rec and Select channel buttons, five user-defined scenes, Cycle on/off, Next/Previous Marker, RTZ and Transport controls, plus a jog wheel if you want one. Took 2 minutes to set up for DP and worked instantly. Batteries and Bluetooth, or powered and connected via USB. I have not wished I had the Raven back even once since I shipped it away.

After a lot of shopping around, this unit totally gets my vote.
Thanks Jim for the heads-up on the Korg. Got a couple of questions: I downloaded the manual and didn't see anything about this: does it do fader flip? Not a deal breaker if it doesn't. Second question: where did you get yours? Sweetwater is taking preorders as they call it. I'm dependent on web ordering as none of the stores around here have much depth in things like this.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

OK users,

I have no doubt that there are and will be software bugs, especially due to the DAW being DP and DPs history of issues with 3rd party companies. DP is small and it can take them years to cooperate with 3rd party software companies.

This is expected and “fine" with me. (Meaning -“expected”).
The issue I am concerned about is TACTILE, or feel of the glass when manipulating faders.

I am not a sweaty kind of guy, but I have a feeling that using this surface day in and day out, one runs into TOUCH on the screen being VARIABLE related to how clean or sweaty one’s hands are, or how clean the screen is at any given moment.
How does it FEEL to touch this screen all day. Does it get a bit sticky or UN smooth after 2 hrs of intense mixing etc?

Every time I touch these units at NAMM they feel a bit UN smooth. Like my finger would have issues sliding smoothly over the glass unless it was very clean, cleaned often and that any sweat or perspiration would lead to lack of smoothness manipulating faders.

Anyone used the glass all day and have something to say about this?
And also, HEAT? Does it get hot or make one’s face hot?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
waxman

Post by waxman »

toodamnhip wrote:OK users,

The issue I am concerned about is TACTILE, or feel of the glass when manipulating faders.... How does it FEEL to touch this screen all day. Does it get a bit sticky or UN smooth after 2 hrs of intense mixing etc?

Anyone used the glass all day and have something to say about this? And also, HEAT? Does it get hot or make one’s face hot?
Good questions... I REALLY like the FEEL... the Raven came with a spray I use about once a week on the screen. It cleans and leaves it feeling great. I use the Raven all day long making small adjustments on plugs and large fader moves. I have never experienced any heat issues.

It's not like your hands just rest on it. It's more like a console. I used all the large famous analog desks for years. I still work from time to time on a 40 input API with automation. Now that I have used the Raven for a few months the API feels clunky and archaic. To have unlimited inputs in 27" space is perfect. The biggest thing is while other DAW controllers were a battle the Raven actually is CREATIVE. It has me doing creative things that were impossible with the MCU or a mouse.

Batch command buttons are awesome. No more running the mouse up to the menu line and then doing pull down windows and selecting a box then entering a number. The Raven just flat out works great. The pan knobs should be fixed along with a few other goodies. That is really the major bug. I don't get crashes or freezes. So I think you'll love it if you get one.

TD I think you were or are a MCU guy right? All I can say is I am so glad to be off the MCU Pro w/ 2 Xts. The Raven is so much better. Everything is right in front of you and ergonomic. Once I'm done adjusting a plug of VI I pull it up by mouse to one of the other 3 monitors mons leave it open until I know it's working. So I find myself in a flow of Touch and mouse. Less and less mouse every day.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:OK users,

The issue I am concerned about is TACTILE, or feel of the glass when manipulating faders.... How does it FEEL to touch this screen all day. Does it get a bit sticky or UN smooth after 2 hrs of intense mixing etc?

Anyone used the glass all day and have something to say about this? And also, HEAT? Does it get hot or make one’s face hot?
Good questions... I REALLY like the FEEL... the Raven came with a spray I use about once a week on the screen. It cleans and leaves it feeling great. I use the Raven all day long making small adjustments on plugs and large fader moves. I have never experienced any heat issues.

It's not like your hands just rest on it. It's more like a console. I used all the large famous analog desks for years. I still work from time to time on a 40 input API with automation. Now that I have used the Raven for a few months the API feels clunky and archaic. To have unlimited inputs in 27" space is perfect. The biggest thing is while other DAW controllers were a battle the Raven actually is CREATIVE. It has me doing creative things that were impossible with the MCU or a mouse.

Batch command buttons are awesome. No more running the mouse up to the menu line and then doing pull down windows and selecting a box then entering a number. The Raven just flat out works great. The pan knobs should be fixed along with a few other goodies. That is really the major bug. I don't get crashes or freezes. So I think you'll love it if you get one.

TD I think you were or are a MCU guy right? All I can say is I am so glad to be off the MCU Pro w/ 2 Xts. The Raven is so much better. Everything is right in front of you and ergonomic. Once I'm done adjusting a plug of VI I pull it up by mouse to one of the other 3 monitors mons leave it open until I know it's working. So I find myself in a flow of Touch and mouse. Less and less mouse every day.
I was running the Artis Mix but one faders got unreliable and the power supply failed.
I think i can get it fixed for 250+ but have been wondering whether to bother or just get Raven.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13