small control surface for DP8

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: small control surface for DP8

Post by waxman »

Raven baby!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote:
I think the problem is that the control surface bundle which is specific to DP, needs to be updated. That was the issue with the AlphaTrack, which was solved when another board member and I tracked down the programmer and convinced him to update it. He sells it here:

http://www.synclavier.com/AlphaTrackPlugin.html

You can also get it to work in El Capitan, as I am doing already. More info here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60778
James, I've been looking for something like this for awhile: one fader—simple. Are you happy with this? The fader would have the most value to me, as I'm comfortable with transport control from my numeric keypad.

Does anyone still sell these? I couldn't find any links from their site that listed the product.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Rick Cornish wrote:
James Steele wrote:
I think the problem is that the control surface bundle which is specific to DP, needs to be updated. That was the issue with the AlphaTrack, which was solved when another board member and I tracked down the programmer and convinced him to update it. He sells it here:

You can also get it to work in El Capitan, as I am doing already. More info here:

James, I've been looking for something like this for awhile: one fader—simple. Are you happy with this? The fader would have the most value to me, as I'm comfortable with transport control from my numeric keypad.

Does anyone still sell these? I couldn't find any links from their site that listed the product.
James runs Alpha and some guy updated the drivers so perhaps it works better, but I use PreSonus Fader port. It’s a pain in the butt as you have too manually direct it to tracks. And it loses “track” and needs to be re directed. But it is workable. The best I had was Artist mix but the power supply died.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:
James Steele wrote:

They've been discontinued. eBay is your best bet and they're not going cheap from what I can tell. The display on mine was getting dim so I lucked out and got one for about $65, but they're often going for $100 or more and the condition varies. I like mine. I just use the fader primarily.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

toodamnhip wrote: James runs Alpha and some guy updated the drivers so perhaps it works better, but I use PreSonus Fader port. It’s a pain in the butt as you have too manually direct it to tracks. And it loses “track” and needs to be re directed. But it is workable. The best I had was Artist mix but the power supply died.
Hetly toodamn....
So the Faderport actually works with DP9?
What do you mean when you say "you have to manually direct it to tracks"?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I ended up returning my Korg NanoKontrol Studio: I thought that I could deal with non motorized faders, but it turned out to be just to great a hassle.

I still wouldn't need them if someone made a device that was all rotary encoders that just rolled on-screen faders up and down relative to their current position. Resetting an entire mix - or worse yet, banks of 8 faders within a mix - so that the physical fader and the on-screen fader are in the same spot? Well, it was something I had to experience to really hate.

Traded it in on an optical compressor stomp box, and started using an iPad I had laying around with a app called DAW Control that I really like. If you've got an iPad there are some nice control surface solutions.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:I still wouldn't need them if someone made a device that was all rotary encoders that just rolled on-screen faders up and down relative to their current position.
Like the BCR2000. A bunch of continuous rotary knobs. Same case as the BCF2000, but without faders. These are cheap and appear to last forever.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The thing I really liked about my JL Cooper CS-32 was that the 32 faders didn't change your mix until the position matched the location of the fader in the mixer window when you had the red indicator lit. So not being motorized wasn't an issue. It was a little smaller than an iPad so that was great.

No longer supported after OS 10.4, I was able to kludge it as far as 10.6. I can tell that my iMac sees it but cannot get it to work with DP. Ok, it still works on my G4 in DP 5.13 but I'm not doing that anymore.

Mine is the USB version. I've wondered if the MIDI version could be made to work but I haven't seen one for sale in years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

mikehalloran wrote:The thing I really liked about my JL Cooper CS-32 was that the 32 faders didn't change your mix until the position matched the location of the fader in the mixer window when you had the red indicator lit. So not being motorized wasn't an issue. It was a little smaller than an iPad so that was great.
I expected the Korg to work that way, and it would have great. But the Korg changes the mix the instant you touch a fader: the on-screen DP fader jumps to the position of the Korg fader when you move it, so it suddenly gets crazy loud or returns to zero. I had to memorize each faders value before touching the Korg and return the fader to its original position. Same problem when you'd scroll to the next bank of 8. Maddening. Unusable, sadly, because I loved the design.

The BCR2000 would be cool, but I really wanted something smaller. I might have to try one of those JL Cooper things. The Avid Artist Control would be great if it wasn't insanely overpriced. So, for right now, the DAW Control app is working great on an iPad Mini.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Rick Cornish wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: James runs Alpha and some guy updated the drivers so perhaps it works better, but I use PreSonus Fader port. It’s a pain in the butt as you have too manually direct it to tracks. And it loses “track” and needs to be re directed. But it is workable. The best I had was Artist mix but the power supply died.
Hetly toodamn....
So the Faderport actually works with DP9?
What do you mean when you say "you have to manually direct it to tracks"?
I mean various things by this.
It does not “chase” well in DP.
So if you have a long list of tracks, (who doesn’t?), you cannot just click on a track and have the fader control it.

You have to use the fader ports bank and channel buttons to have it scroll through the tracks.
Bank first to “get close”, then the arrows to move one channel at a time. Once you are on your channel and in a DP folder, (Fader port seems confused by folders and thus needs to use it’s bank buttons), but once IN a folder, you can sometimes CLICK a track in the TO or SE window and fader point will go there.
Once there, it is easy for fader port to get lost again so you often end up having to click a track in the TO to make sure it is ready to work. To double check this, I often move the fader in DP to make sure fader port is chasing. Obviously, a pain. But it works and is my short term “go-back-to” until I either fix my Artist mix of get the Slate control surface. I just put in a price request to my pro audio guy for the slate. Not sure I like the idea of touching glass for fader moves. I’ll probably get used to it but it seems strange to me.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, toodamn.

I really like the look and layout of the Faderport, but I think I'm going to pursue the AlphaTrack for now.

Many thanks for the info.
Rick Cornish

waxman

Post by waxman »

I liked V-Control 2 https://neyrinck.com/products/v-control-pro2/

There is a free demo...

waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:I liked V-Control 2
They seem to be pretty deep into these things.

This is from the same site. Your watch controls your Raven.

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

So . . . I have and liked the old V-Pro 1. This means I have to pay the $50 for a brand new version? No upgrade path?

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
billf

Post by billf »

Henry Robinett wrote:So . . . I have and liked the old V-Pro 1. This means I have to pay the $50 for a brand new version? No upgrade path?

All the best,
http://www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
It is a subscription of $50 per year. There is also the app on the Apple Store for $99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/v-contr ... 23823?mt=8

I no longer use V-Control, and am using PT Control from the Apple Store, which is free and works with DP 9 and Logic Pro X.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1