VEP requires hardware dongle/key?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VEP requires hardware dongle/key?

Post by Gravity Jim »

So, I'm looking at VEP, and on the order page i notice that you also have to buy an eLicenser USB hardware thing... but there's also a smaller clarification line that says something like, "or you can use another device, like Arturia and Steinberg."

My Arturia licenses are placed on my hard drive using eLicenser Control Center.

So, for those of you who use it: can you use the same kind of Soft-License thing that my Arturia Synths do, storing the license on the hard drive? Can I store the VEP license on my iLok? (I'd guess not, since eLicenser control doesn't see that device.) Or do I have to add another USB encryption stick to use VEP?

Thanks for the coming enlightenment.....
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
FMiguelez

Re: VEP requires hardware dongle/key?

Post by FMiguelez »

I use mine with what they call "Vienna Keys" (they look like a small iLok). It may also be possible to use it with a Steinberg device, but as you saw, it won't work with an iLok.

I haven't checked their site in a while, so I don't know if they now offer an option to store the licenses in the disk.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have an old Steinberg USB dongle that came with Cubase licenses on it. Using elicencer I've put Korg and Arturia licenses on it too. I think what VEP is saying is that you can use dongles with other brands on them if you already have a compatible dongle from another supplier. You'll know if you do because you'll have elicencer software installed to manage it. Maybe you can also use elicencer, like iLok, to put the license on the computer rather than the USB key.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Thanks to both of you. I'll give the 30 day demo a whirl.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yes; they are simply saying any eLicenser from any vendor will do.

What they DO recommend is to register whichever one you end up using, at their website, so that you are protected should the device fail and you need to re-load your software/licenses.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH